pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 15

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

BroadwayLover4
#350Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/16/17 at 3:13pm

Seeing Donna next Tuesday!!! I can't hardly wait. I love this production so much.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#351Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/16/17 at 3:15pm

I wonder if whatever "name" they have lined up after Midler can't start until March(guessing) if they'll just have Murphy cover X amount of weeks before the next "name" starts?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

greenifyme2
#352Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/16/17 at 3:54pm

Wow I was there last night too. Crazy so many of us went on a random Tuesday!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#353Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/16/17 at 3:59pm

I wonder if they will keep Donna on when they replace Bette. Like will the replacement continue to have an alternate.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JustAnotherNewYorker
#354Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:20pm

greenifyme2 said: "Wow I was there last night too. Crazy so many of us went on a random Tuesday!"

three letters: T. D. F. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#355Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/18/17 at 10:26pm

So happy that seats are selling so well for Dolly with Donna...Broadway Week 9/4-17 2for1...

Bette is out of the show from 9/6-10!

https://www.nycgo.com/broadway-week

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

jtishere
#356Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/18/17 at 10:59pm

Will be there Tues Sept 6! Stage Door Sally, if you're there that night, we can gush over our mutual Dolly love over cheesecake at Juniors after

Updated On: 8/18/17 at 10:59 PM

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#357Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:43am

Was anyone at last night's performance, Tues.,August  29th? I'm pretty sure there was a set glitch. As Barnaby and Cornelius exit from meeting Minnie Fay, the backdrop behind her didn't go up. She went on with her speech about the shop not being open yet but couldn't get to the shop door behind the scrim. Her entire speech was in front of the scrim. Then Irene entered and suddenly the scrim went up and you then saw the shop and the two were able to continue the scene as usual. 

Just a note! Never saw any set glitches before. The two actresses handled it smoothly.

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 08:43 AM

Dollypop
#358Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 10:25am

I love this show!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

bwaylvsong
#359Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 10:28am

@Ethel I was there as well and didn't notice the glitch since I'd never seen the show before!  I guess they handled it VERY well!

Loved the show, by the way, and for the first time in my life I was almost deafened by audience members' cheering!

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#360Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 12:45pm

Loved Bette.  Can't wait to see Donna !!!!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#361Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:56am

Playbill has confirmed that Murphy's final show will be January 9. Peters will be doing 8 shows a week when she takes over on Jan. 20. Anyone going to Donna's final show?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#362Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:58am

Sad that she isn't continuing because I would have liked to have seen her. This revival seems like true joy - I envy those that will have seen Bette, Donna and Bernadette. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#363Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:20am

Link

http://www.playbill.com/article/donna-murphy-sets-last-night-in-hello-dolly-bernadette-peters-to-play-8-performances-a-week

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#364Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:30am

Wonder why she's leaving?  Do you think she feels she was snubbed at not being Bette's replacement?

Visceral_Fella
#365Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:46am

Deena Jones said: "Wonder why she's leaving? Do you think she feels she was snubbed at not being Bette's replacement?"

At this stage in her career alternating with planned performances is probably much more appealing than standing by. Her role has in a sense been eliminated from the production now that Bernadette will do 8 shows. Perfect timing to gracefully bow out.

I would be surprised if she felt snubbed, but standing by for Bernadette probably doesn't seem as rationale to Donna as it did with Bette. With Bette you get the stunt casting element of it due to her previous body of work. Bernadette also has an impressive body of work, but Donna seems to be closer or on a more level playing field with Bernadette than Bette so to not have any planned performances and be second in command to someone in a somewhat similar league wouldn't be the best move for her.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#366Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:35pm

Murphy has openly spoken about the fact that she promised her daughter that she wouldn't take any gigs that would take her away from home for too long, hence why she accepted the offer of playing Dolly once a week and during Midler's vacation. She isn't ready to commit to 8 shows a week so soon after her husband's passing. And yes, I'm sure there was a certain cache to alternating for Midler that is no longer there with Peters. I'm so lucky we got this performance from her at this time in her life. It's such a thrilling, beautifully rendered performance. I think about it whenever I feel blue, there's such joy to it, and she and the audience know it's something special.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#367Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:27pm

Well I hope this is just the beginning for Donna in terms of opportunities. She's an amazing talent and if she's not ready to do 8 shows a week I hope she can do concerts, limited engagements, and whatnot. My dream is for her to do Phyllis in a revival of Follies. Yeah yeah I know ... but one can dream right?

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#368Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:30pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well I hope this is just the beginning for Donna in terms of opportunities. She's an amazing talent and if she's not ready to do 8 shows a week I hope she can do concerts, limited engagements, and whatnot. My dream is for her to do Phyllis in a revival of Follies. Yeah yeah I know ... but one can dream right?"

Seriously? Donna didn't just appear on the scene. She's a veteran of stage, screen (TV and Movies). Look her up on IMDB.com. She will always get work and people will always want her because she is JUST.THAT.GOOD.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#369Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:39pm

MoveOnGypsy said: "poisonivy2 said: "Well I hope this is just the beginning for Donna in terms of opportunities. She's an amazing talent and if she's not ready to do 8 shows a week I hope she can do concerts, limited engagements, and whatnot. My dream is for her to do Phyllis in a revival of Follies. Yeah yeah I know ... but one can dream right?"

Seriously? Donna didn't just appear on the scene.She's a veteran of stage, screen (TV and Movies). Look her up on IMDB.com. She will always get work and people will always want her because she is JUST.THAT.GOOD.
"

I'm more talking about starring Broadway roles. I know she did some movies and TV and was a wonderful witch in the Central Park Into the Woods a few years ago.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#370Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:43pm

^even that is complete nonsense. The woman has two tony awards!! For leading actress...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#371Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 3:14pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^even that is complete nonsense. The woman has two tony awards!! For leading actress..."

Yeah but that was in the 90's. Idk what happened after Wonderful Town but she hasn't done a full Broadway musical production since.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#372Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 3:25pm

^ Actually she did "Lovemusik" and "People in the Picture". Neither lasted long though she was wonderful in both. I think she was nominated for a Tony for both also.

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 03:25 PM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#373Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 3:26pm

poisonivy2 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "^even that is complete nonsense. The woman has two tony awards!! For leading actress..."

Yeah but that was in the 90's. Idk what happened after Wonderful Town but she hasn't done a full Broadway musical production since.
"

She was out a lot of her run during Wonderful Town and the show lost money.  Reidel on the NY Post made sport out of reporting her absences and a bad reputation emerged.  She has had some tragedy as her husband passed away.  She is a major talent and so glorious to watch.  I wish her nothing but the best.  Her Dolly is stellar.  

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#374Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/6/17 at 7:49pm

So glad I read here about her performance, and was very encouraged by many here to see her as "Dolly". I have my $99 ticket for this Sunday matinee (front row mezz). 

Videos