pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread- Page 16

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread

Globefan
#375Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/23/19 at 11:14pm

JPeterman said: "tombomb31 said: "I have tickets for January 18...is it likely he will still be out then? I’d rather wait and see it when he’s back!"

Based on the length of the delay, two weeks, and Rudin’scomment that he wants Powell to have as much preview experience as was originally planned, I would guess Powellwill be out about two weeks,which would put him back performing roughlySaturday eveningJanuary 4th. I doubt theywould have him do two shows on his first day back, so probably no matinee that day.

Then he can see how he does overnight and make the call Sunday morning if he is ready to give it a go again. Coming back for the Sunday matinee onthe 5th is also a possibility.

I’m just making random guesses and assumptions lol, who knows ... maybe he’ll be back a lot sooner.
"

And they'll have more time to tweak the show itself 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#376Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 1:12am

Tag said: "Equity actually has rules around this: the temperature of the water, filtration, plans for dying off etc.

Can you point to that, I'm not seeing it in the Production Contract, but could be missing it.
"

It's in the "Agreement And Rules Governing Employment" handbook. If I recall correctly, the language is vague and just says a comfortable temperature, clean water etc. but they provide the specific guidelines when needed.

djoko84
#377Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 1:57am

VotePeron said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Tell me this means they're making way for a new Bernardo!"

You realize if he were to be let go for any reason, his entire production contract would have to be paid in full, so he would still benefit a years Broadway salary. He’s in the show. It’s done.
"

Well, not really. If he's too injured to make it to opening night then they'll have to replace him.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#378Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 2:39am

Everyone in the production team knows the injury is a cover up for the delay. The show will have a major creative overhaul before it opens. Look for it.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#379Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 6:25am

djoko84 said: "VotePeron said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Tell me this means they're making way for a new Bernardo!"

You realize if he were to be let go for any reason, his entire production contract would have to be paid in full, so he would still benefit a years Broadway salary. He’s in the show. It’s done.
"

Well, not really. If he's too injured to make it to opening night then they'll have to replace him.
"

Wrong actor, DisneyBroadwayFan was referring to Amar. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#380Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 6:43am

This already has an obnoxiously long preview period...no matter what changes they need to make, could have been made in that time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#381Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 9:47am

blaxx said: "Everyone in the production team knows the injury is a cover up for the delay. The show will have a major creative overhaul before it opens. Look for it."

That’s what I was assuming. I think all of this could start creating bad word of mouth in the industry, which won’t help them with critics and the Tonys. They better ensure this doesn’t turn into another Spider-Man situation. 

Updated On: 12/24/19 at 09:47 AM

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#382Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 10:17am

VotePeron said: "Wrong actor, DisneyBroadwayFan was referring to Amar."

Unless djoko is implying a Jeff Gillooly situation. surprise

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#383Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 10:27am

ljay889 said: "blaxx said: "Everyone in the production team knows the injury is a cover up for the delay. The show will have a major creative overhaul before it opens. Look for it."

That’swhat I was assuming. I think all of this couldstart creating bad word of mouth in the industry, which won’t help them with critics and the Tonys. They better ensure this doesn’t turn into another Spider-Man situation.
"

Wow. So much alarmism, and jumps to conclusions packed into two short posts. 

One similarity to Spider-Man is that people are actively looking for any reason to condemn this production to failure. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#384Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 10:46am

JBroadway said: "ljay889 said: "blaxx said: "Everyone in the production team knows the injury is a cover up for the delay. The show will have a major creative overhaul before it opens. Look for it."

That’swhat I was assuming. I think all of this couldstart creating bad word of mouth in the industry, which won’t help them with critics and the Tonys. They better ensure this doesn’t turn into another Spider-Man situation.
"

Wow. So much alarmism, and jumpsto conclusions packed intotwo short posts.

One similarity to Spider-Man is that people are actively looking for any reasonto condemn this production to failure.
"

Facts are facts, long and extended preview periods don’t help a show’s reputation and word of mouth. I lived through the Spider-Man fiasco, it wasn’t pretty. I’m not saying this is on the same level, but they need to get ahead of themselves before the industry deems this a problem-ridden production. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#385Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 10:48am

I was at the first preview, and I honestly thought the show was in fantastic shape. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly not a train wreck. The director's vision and concept is clear and concise, and the actors are all doing a great job. I, personally, can't think of anything that needs to be completely overhauled during the preview period.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#386Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 11:09am

ljay889 said: "Facts are facts, long and extended preview periods don’t help a show’s reputation and word of mouth. I lived through the Spider-Man fiasco, it wasn’t pretty. I’m not saying this is on the same level, but they need to get ahead of themselves before the industry deems this a problem-ridden production."

Facts are facts, and speculation is speculation. What you said is a speculation. As you said yourself, this isn't on the same level as Spider-Man. Not even remotely close enough to compare. As you know, Spider-Man had a whopping 7 months of previews, was plagued with multiple serious injuries, and on top of that the show was panned. None of that is the case here.

Sure, if people continue to get injured, and if the opening continues to get delayed, then you might end up being right. But so far it's ONE injury and ONE delay, and the production has not been panned. So that's why I call it alarmist. 

Also, aside from Spider-Man (which, again, had an unprecedented and incomparable 7 months of previews), what other example can you name of a show that has garnered ill-will within the theatre community because of an extended preview period? Honeymoon in Vegas had 2 months of previews, and sure, people didn't look well on that show, but that's just because it was bad. I don't recall the preview length being a source of animosity. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#387Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 11:37am

JBroadway said: "Spider-Man (which, again, had an unprecedented and incomparable 7 months of previews), what other example can you name of a show that has garnered ill-will withinthe theatre community because of an extended preview period? Honeymoon in Vegas had 2 months of previews, and sure, people didn't look well on that show, but that's just because it was bad. I don't recall the preview length being a source of animosity."

Merlin (1983), 69 Previews. Four delays in opening night. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/31/theater/stage-magic-of-merlin-is-in-henning-s-illusions.html

Nick & Nora (1991), 71 previews, only ran 9 performances.  Two delays in opening night. One actress replaced in previews.

https://buffalonews.com/1991/12/15/nick-and-nora-closing-worries-broadway-flop-may-keep-other-producers-from-mounting-new-costly-shows/

Passion (1994), 52 previews. One delay in opening night. One actor replaced in previews. An extremely challenging preview period where audiences walked out and snickered throughout the serious show. The musical did obviously go on to win several Tonys. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-05-01-ca-52471-story.html

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#388Tunick's orchestration
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:05pm

But it seems like both Merlin and Nick & Nora were also generally seen as bad shows, and while you may be right in pointing to Passion as a rough preview period, it obviously didn't hurt the show's Tony prospects as you yourself pointed out. So that doesn't quite support your earlier claim that WSS's delayed opening might hurt its awards prospects. 

But anyway, the "naming other examples" thing wasn't my main point. My point is, it's far too early to jump to these conclusions. As I said earlier, if more developments like this keep happening, and if we start to see wide-spread animosity come as a direct result of the delays, then I'm perfectly willing to change my assessment of the situation. But the fact that people are jumping to these conclusions so quickly strikes me as a case of people just looking for reasons to condemn the show for unrelated reasons (Amar, and disapproval over the changes).

And regarding the circumstances of the delay: At the moment we have no reason to believe that this situation is anything other than what it seems on the surface. We know that Powell is injured, and so they delayed the opening. One can SPECULATE that there is something else going on behind the scenes, and this is being used as an excuse. But that's just speculation. And based on the show's ticket sales and reception, and the timing of the situation, that doesn't seem likely to me. I would definitely need some other piece of concrete information before agreeing with that line of reasoning. And I don't consider blaxx saying "everyone on the production team knows" to be "concrete information." 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#389WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:13pm

No disrespect to the injured young man, ; well wishes for his recovery, BUT...
Is the star the show, or is the show the star?

Out of respect for the actor, they rescheduled the opening. If he isn't ready, the world is full of other young Tonys.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#390WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:38pm

JBroadway said: "But it seems like both Merlin and Nick & Nora were also generally seen as bad shows, and while you may be right in pointing to Passion as a rough preview period, it obviously didn't hurt the show's Tony prospects as you yourself pointed out. So that doesn't quite support your earlier claim that WSS's delayed opening might hurt its awards prospects.

But anyway, the "naming other examples" thing wasn'tmy main point. My point is, it's far too early to jump to these conclusions. As I said earlier, if more developmentslike this keep happening, and if we start to see wide-spread animosity come as a direct result of the delays, then I'm perfectly willing to change my assessment of the situation.Butthe fact that people arejumping to these conclusions so quickly strikes me as a case of people just looking for reasons to condemn the show for unrelated reasons (Amar, and disapproval overthe changes).

And regarding the circumstances of the delay: At the moment we have no reason to believe that this situation is anything other than what it seems on the surface. We know that Powell is injured, and so they delayed the opening. Onecan SPECULATE that there is something else going on behind the scenes, and this is being used as an excuse. But that's just speculation. And based on the show's ticket sales and reception, and the timing of the situation, that doesn't seem likely to me. I would definitely need some other piece of concrete information before agreeing with that line of reasoning. And I don't consider blaxx saying "everyone on the production team knows" to be "concrete information."

"

We’re on a message board. It’s preposterous to not expect people to speculate and gossip on this site. This production very well may become a smash hit, a critics’ darling, a Tony winner, but this particular production is controversial enough that of course there’s going to be plenty of speculation when there’s a longer than normal preview period. 

Updated On: 12/24/19 at 12:38 PM

Globefan
#391WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:42pm

dramamama611 said: "This already has an obnoxiously long preview period...no matter what changes they need to make, could have been made in that time."

Ivo van Hove's approach to directing a production includes a long preview period. That's how he rolls. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#392WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:43pm

Oh my god, the queens in this thread. They delayed the opening to allow Isaac Powell to have the same number of previews as everyone else. Is it unusual? Yes. But it’s also extremely respectful of his contribution to the production. There’s a lot of bells and whistles to it, so I’m glad he’s getting the same time to settle into it as everyone else.

If this were a bad production, I’d be more prone to believe this was all a coverup for some larger production issues. But it’s a very good production. Y’all just like clutching your pearls over your precious classics too much to accept that.

Updated On: 12/24/19 at 12:43 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#393WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:59pm

Globefan said: "dramamama611 said: "This already has an obnoxiously long preview period...no matter what changes they need to make, could have been made in that time."

Ivo van Hove's approach to directing a production includes a long preview period. That's how he rolls.
"

A View From the Bridge: 24 Previews

Network: 28 Previews

The Crucible: 32 Previews

Those are all normal preview periods, granted two of those were transfer productions. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#394WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 1:01pm

ljay889 said: "We’re on a message board. It’s preposterous to not expect people to speculate and gossip on this site. This production very well may become a smash hit, a critics’darling, a Tony winner, but this particular production iscontroversial enough that of course there’s going to be plenty of speculation when there’s a longer than normal preview period."

I never said people shouldn't speculate. My comments about speculation are mostly in response to your earlier assertion that "facts are facts," about something that was a subjective analysis of a subjective observation of a debatable trend, and speculatively applying it to this situation. And blaxx's post, while potentially well-informed, offers no credible source. So I'm just emphasizing that it is, in fact, speculation, and not fact. And on top of that, I'm offering counterarguments to your theory by saying that they don't seem likely based on the information we have.

Alrighty, I'm leaving the house now to go to a Christmas Eve celebration, so I won't be responding to anything else on this topic today. Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukkah! 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#395WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 2:00pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Oh my god, the queens in this thread. They delayed the opening to allow Isaac Powell to have the same number of previews as everyone else. Is it unusual? Yes. But it’s also extremely respectful of his contribution to the production. There’s a lot of bells and whistles to it, so I’m glad he’s getting the same time to settle into it as everyone else.

If this were a bad production, I’d be more prone to believe this was all a coverup for some larger production issues. But it’s a very good production. Y’all just like clutching your pearls over your precious classics to accept that.
"

This. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#396WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 2:40pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Oh my god, the queens in this thread. They delayed the opening to allow Isaac Powell to have the same number of previews as everyone else. Is it unusual? Yes. But it’s also extremely respectful of his contribution to the production. There’s a lot of bells and whistles to it, so I’m glad he’s getting the same time to settle into it as everyone else.

If this were a bad production, I’d be more prone to believe this was all a coverup for some larger production issues. But it’s a very good production. Y’all just like clutching your pearls over your precious classics too muchto accept that.
"

^^^ Co-signing this. 

smidge
#397WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 3:10pm

CarlosAlberto said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "Oh my god, the queens in this thread. They delayed the opening to allow Isaac Powell to have the same number of previews as everyone else. Is it unusual? Yes. But it’s also extremely respectful of his contribution to the production. There’s a lot of bells and whistles to it, so I’m glad he’s getting the same time to settle into it as everyone else.

If this were a bad production, I’d be more prone to believe this was all a coverup for some larger production issues. But it’s a very good production. Y’all just like clutching your pearls over your precious classics too muchto accept that.
"

^^^ Co-signing this.

Where the hell has Carlos been?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#398WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 3:30pm

"

T H I S

THANK YOU!!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#399WSS 2019/20
Posted: 12/24/19 at 3:33pm

JBroadway said: "But it seems like both Merlin and Nick & Nora were also generally seen as bad shows, and while you may be right in pointing to Passion as a rough preview period, it obviously didn't hurt the show's Tony prospects as you yourself pointed out. So that doesn't quite support your earlier claim that WSS's delayed opening might hurt its awards prospects.

But anyway, the "naming other examples" thing wasn'tmy main point. My point is, it's far too early to jump to these conclusions. As I said earlier, if more developmentslike this keep happening, and if we start to see wide-spread animosity come as a direct result of the delays, then I'm perfectly willing to change my assessment of the situation.Butthe fact that people arejumping to these conclusions so quickly strikes me as a case of people just looking for reasons to condemn the show for unrelated reasons (Amar, and disapproval overthe changes).

And regarding the circumstances of the delay: At the moment we have no reason to believe that this situation is anything other than what it seems on the surface. We know that Powell is injured, and so they delayed the opening. Onecan SPECULATE that there is something else going on behind the scenes, and this is being used as an excuse. But that's just speculation. And based on the show's ticket sales and reception, and the timing of the situation, that doesn't seem likely to me. I would definitely need some other piece of concrete information before agreeing with that line of reasoning. And I don't consider blaxx saying "everyone on the production team knows" to be "concrete information."

"

You certainly don't have to believe me; the cast has been informed of this. You just don't keep delaying the opening of a multi million dollar production for Nobody Jones to heal his pinky. 

I'm not saying the show is bad, I personally quite liked it and hope it stays faithful to its vision; it's  what it has going for it after all.

Producers just don't think it will turn a profit in its current shape. Tourists will be purists when buying tickets to this, they will eventually feed them more of what they expect.

I also wish this doesn't happen but I'm sure they are trying to steer some of it back to its original form.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos