pixeltracker

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration- Page 16

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#375Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:27pm

A bunch of performers are  now doing I'm Still Here

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
rattleNwoolypenguin
#377Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:30pm

I’m being snarky for a second only cause I really adored this and it just gave me such a smile throughout and I LOVED that we had not the typical “We have to do West Side songs and Gypsy” thing. This was a Sondheimy Sondheim music concert

But my snarkiness is...Jake is richer than ALLLLLL of them (maybe not Meryl) and THAT’S his video quality? Haha

But wow really wonderful. Ladies Who Lunch was iconic and everything.

To whoever said Meryl Sharp,

Shut up.

Updated On: 4/26/20 at 11:30 PM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#378Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:32pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
I’m being snarky for a second only cause I really adored this and it just gave me such a smile throughout and I LOVED that we had not the typical “We have to do West Side songs and Gypsy” thing. This was a Sondheimy Sondheim music concert

But my snarkiness is...Jake is richer than ALLLLLL of them (maybe not Meryl) and THAT’S his video quality? Haha

But wow really wonderful. Ladies Who Lunch was iconic and everything.

To whoever said Meryl Sharp,

Shut up.
"

It’s not about how much money they have. Blame Apple for NEVER updating macbook’s ugly and Neanderthal camera.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#379Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:32pm

They really need to polish/clean this up a bit and release it to raise funds. 

I mean there is only one composer to negotiate with.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#380Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:34pm

sabrelady said: "They really need to polish/clean this up a bit and release it to raise funds.

I mean there is only one composer to negotiate with.
"

Give it to a business with a more competent video / media team, like Playbill.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

neeGallagher
#381Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:35pm

How do you do a Sondheim tribute without "Not A Day Goes By"?

Owen22
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#383Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:39pm

neeGallagher said: "How do you do a Sondheim tribute without "Not A Day Goes By"?"

I didn’t miss it. It’s been done a gazillion times. I was far more glad to see things like “Someone in a Tree” or a cut song like “Flag Song.” Sondheim wrote hundreds of worthwhile songs, and sometimes these tributes feel like they’re honoring the same dozen. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/26/20 at 11:39 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#384Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:41pm

Kad said: "neeGallagher said: "How do you do a Sondheim tribute without "Not A Day Goes By"?"

I didn’t miss it. It’s been done a gazillion times.
"

Same. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#385Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:43pm

neeGallagher wrote: How do you do a Sondheim tribute without "Not A Day Goes By"?

There were many favorites missing ("Losing My Mind" for one... ), but what was there, was pretty great.

Owen22
#386Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:46pm

Falsettolands said: "slightly off topic, but has their been a production of Pacific Overtures that's cast a female identifying actor as The Reciter?"

Signature Theater outside of DC had a female Reciter.

IslandBoy27
#387Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:51pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Judy Kuhn nailed my fave rare Sondhiem song. I am so glad she chose it. I wept. Katrina singing Johanna made my cry too. Stunning."

Did it not bother anyone else that she changed the lyrics from her/she to him/he?

Just pick a different song if you can’t sing the actual words. This is to honor him. Sing his words. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#388Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

Also yeah, “Flag Song” is trippy! Really interesting one to analyze lyrically. Even though they wouldn’t I could see a production putting that back in.

Assassins is so chilling any time I hear anything from it, there is even more eerieness and disturbing quality than anything in Sweeney Todd

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#389Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

blaxx said: "Is it going to be available later?"

Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92wZIvEUAw

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#390Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:54pm

I found it to be a perfect evening and I don't think anything needed to be changed or "polished" up. 

I have been watching a lot of live streaming these past weeks and this was one of, if not, the best I have seen. JMO

Just give the world Love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#391Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:56pm

sabrelady said: "Acappella Bernadette = Pure/Brave"

..And perfection.

Just give the world Love.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#392Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:56pm

That was heaven. With that said, I want this to be a bookmark for the Sondheim 90th we deserve: Carnegie Hall, 2020/21, all the artists we saw tonight and more, and the chorus men and women of shows performing throughout the City singing “Sunday.”

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#393Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:57pm

Fun fact: the same exact melody of "Flag Song" is used for "It's In Your Hands Now" in Road Show.

Some personal highlights for me:

Katrina Lenk completely in her element with a gorgeous rendition of "Joanna." 

Raul's powerful "Take Me to the World"

"Someone in  a Tree" 

Donna's gorgeous "Clowns" 

Of course, "Ladies" 

Jake/Annaleigh

Patti and Bernadette both doing quiet and poignant numbers.

"Im Still Here."

Updated On: 4/26/20 at 11:57 PM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#394Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/26/20 at 11:58pm

Owen22 said: "Falsettolands said: "slightly off topic, but has their been a production of Pacific Overtures that's cast a female identifying actor as The Reciter?"

Signature Theater outside of DC had a female Reciter.
"

The earliest form of Kabuki was created by a woman to be performed by women who played both the male and female roles. They also 'performed' as prostitutes, which added to the popularity of the art form.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#395Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:13am

Will we ever find out what "pattysaccente" meant? 

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#396Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:27am

>Will we ever find out what "pattysaccente" meant?<

She's Bernadette's longtime assistant. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

bwayobsessed
#397Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:40am

Do we know how long it’ll be up? (Sorry if this has been posted already)

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#398Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:42am

That was heaven. With that said, I want this to be a bookmark for the Sondheim 90th we deserve: Carnegie Hall, 2020/21, all the artists we saw tonight and more, and the chorus men and women of shows performing throughout the City singing “Sunday.”

Your wish has been granted.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#399Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:52am

Robbie2 said: "blaxx said: "Is it going to be available later?"

Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92wZIvEUAw
"

Thank you!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos