pixeltracker

Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?- Page 2

Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 9:40pm

I would love to see an all black DIARY OF ANNE FRANK,
and I bet it has been done.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#26Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 9:45pm

Niecy Nash!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:19pm

Would you cast a black woman as Golda Meir in GOLDA'S BALCONY?

Yes. I can think of several who would be wonderful.

Would you cast a Native American as Lombardi in LOMBARDI?

I don't know one offhand, but I don't see why not.

Would you cast a black girl as Anne in THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK?

GOD, YES! Casting the right black actress as Anne (i.e., a young Audra, a young Anika Noni Rose) would make a very simple and very beautiful statement about the goodness Anne Frank believed existed in the human heart.

And by the way, I find your questions repugnant.

Updated On: 3/8/11 at 10:19 PM

Mildred Plotka
#28Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:42pm

What's the lady who accepted the Oscar for Brando up to? She'd be wonderful in Lombardi. :)

And good for you Joey, like, like, and like.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:45pm

I love the argument the Rose was a real person when the character in the show was clearly was based on a real person in name only.

jacobp
#30Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:00pm

Ok so then my vote is Hugh Jackman as Coalhouse in Ragtime and Donna Murphy as Caroline in Caroline or Change

Mildred Plotka
#31Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:10pm

Oh Please! Jackman is totally more of a Sarah than a Coalhouse.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:12pm

^ See. It doesn't really work in reverse. It's considered racist.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#33Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:19pm

The central conflicts of RAGTIME and CAROLINE, OR CHANGE come from race. Hence, the roles should be played by race specific actors.

The conflicts in the story of GYPSY have NOTHING to do with race. So it is your lack of imagination that is telling you that casting a black actress is "wrong."

The "reverse racism" argument doesn't hold water and your faux "offended" tone is disgusting.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 3/8/11 at 11:19 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#34Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:30pm

Also, a white Coalhouse is in no way the "reverse" of a black Mama Rose.

LeadingDude Profile Photo
LeadingDude
#35Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:52am

I'm really surprised that no one has said Phylicia Rashad. She'd be perfection!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#36Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:15am

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 3/9/11 at 02:15 AM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#37Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:30am

Queen Latifah

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#38Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:46am

^Please Theater Gods, NO!!!

Urban
#39Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 6:06am

I would love to see Audra do this but in 20 years at least.

Actually Audra is the perfect age.

Rose Hovick had June & Louise at 20 & 21, thus she would've been in her late 30s during the later part of the show.

I have never understood the idea that one had to be pushing near social security age to play Rose. When was she suppose to have the kids? The IVF years?

Updated On: 3/9/11 at 06:06 AM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#40Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 8:34am

In a few years, Fantasia.

The applause after her final "Rose's Turn" would last for HOURS.

"YOU CAN DO IT, 'TASIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE your TIME!!" :-P

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

ahhrealmonsters
#41Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 9:21am

LaChanze

bryan2
#42Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 9:56am

Almira almira almira
just because I think that since Rose was a white Irish woman
that a black woman could not play her does not mean I am not for colored blind casting..Diane Carroll as Norma was a great choice ...but she is a fictional character..
I think it would be just as ridiculous to have, say Fantasia play Fanny Brice or have Sutton Foster play Dorothy Dandridge.
These are based on real people even if they are "fables" about thier lives. Just my opinion.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#43Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:12am

If race is not an important theme in the show, it should not be a factor in casting. That said, most roles identified with black performers are from shows where race is an important element, so the 'reverse' examples provided by many posters don't make sense.

Having said that, I think Audra is just a little too young right now. I think it's easier for a an audience to accept an actress who's a little too you to play the young girls' mother than it is to accept someone who's too young to play against the older Louise. I think Vanessa Williams would be a very interesting choice.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

AEA AGMA SM
#44Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:56am

"I think it would be just as ridiculous to have, say Fantasia play Fanny Brice or have Sutton Foster play Dorothy Dandridge.
These are based on real people even if they are "fables" about thier lives. Just my opinion."

And yet the first suggestions for actresses for the title role in Evita are almost all caucasian actresses (or Lea Salonga). Very few Latina actresses are tossed around in those discussions.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#45Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:01am

I have never understood the idea that one had to be pushing near social security age to play Rose. When was she suppose to have the kids? The IVF years?

I always thought that stemmed more from needing an actress with serious chops and stage presence, which typically come with age and experience.

That said, while I personally can't see Audra as Rose, she's one of the few actresses in her age cohort who really has that gravitas when she performs.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

#46Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:02am

I opened this thread to post a humorous "outraged" response that NO black actress could play Rose because Rose was WHITE!

But so many of you beat me to it. Bravo.

Gothampc
#47Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:31am

I would say that Lillias White is the best vocally. Although she would add 6 notes for every 1 printed in the score.

I think that Loretta Devine would do an outstanding job of acting it. I'm not sure that she could handle the more difficult parts of the score.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#48Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:29pm

A question for those falling back on the "Rose was a real person" argument.

Herbie is a fictional character. Would you accept a black Herbie alongside a white Rose? Or would you deny a black actor the role because of his skin color too?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#49Black Actresses who could play Mama Rose?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:35pm

Also, wasn't the real Rose a lesbian? Shouldn't people object to the show implying she could be romanced by a man, if her "realness" is so important?

Videos