Wit
Other Desert Cities
Venus In Fur

BEST PLAY REVIVAL
The Best Man
Death of A Salesman
A Streetcar Name Desire
Don't Dress For Diner

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#262012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/12/12 at 11:52pm

Have we gotten a rulling on Ricky yet? Pattinkin won Best Supporting Actor & my guess is he would go in the same category. I know everyone loves Audra- but depending on the reviews- I really think Elena could have a shot- its kind of an iconic role in the musical theatre- time will tell...

I can't imagine the producers of this revival would want to pit Ricky Martin and Michael Cerveris against each other, especially since Che is really a leading role.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#272012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 12:15am

ACL, I think Clybourne Park may slip in there and not leave room for Wit to take a spot.

Jonwo
#282012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 12:33am

Wouldn't Wit be considered a revival rather than a new play even though it didn't play on Broadway originally. I know the 2003 production of Little Shop of Horrors was considered a revival even though it never played Broadway.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#292012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 8:56am

Wit will definitely be ruled a revival.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#302012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 1:09pm

I wouldn't leave Lysistrata Jones in the cold, well for best musical you probably can, but the producers aren't letting the show die like they did Bonnie and Clyde. They are doing 2 concerts less than a month before nominations are announced and you know they are inviting the nominating committee. I think LJ has the possibility of getting at most 4 nominations, it will likely win none of them, but it will likely get at least 2 nonetheless
Best Book of a Musical is a lock because it was written by Douglas Carter Bean, who is LOVED by the committee, as well as he is the most powerful book writer since Arthur Laurents, with both saving and turing Xanadu and Sister Act into "hits" he can do no wrong in the Bway communities eyes. LJ is not a Lewis Flinn's musical its Douglas Carter Bean's which is a rarity for the credit is always given to the composer and the blame to the book writer, while with Bean it is the exact opposite, for which he will likely get a nomination for, and that is their greatest chance of winning.

Best Score and Orchestrations
Lewis Flinn wrote a modern score that will likely get nominated over Once, because it is truly the most original score of the season, I am not saying Once isn't original, neither is Newsies, but from what I know they did very little in regards to deviate from the Movie's score, and though it is a front runner for Best Musical it may be an American Idiot scenario where it will be the front runner until nominations are announced where it will get 4-5 noms and loose all its momentum,

Best Actress In a Supporting Role Lindsay Nicole Chambers,
This is there only shot at an acting nomination, Lindsay got raves, and though she is facing stiff competition from the Follies Girls Kara Lindsay of Newsies, and the fact that this is a season of strong female supporting roles, the Tony nominators do like to reward the funny sidekick of the season though let me repeat I THINK SHE HAS NO CHANCE IN WINNING, because the show has ended its run, and it is a tough ass female season, but a nomination is possible

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#312012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 3:25pm

I do so love these posts...productions haven't even begun previews but posters are already claiming their likelihood of winning awards.

Perhaps this thread would be more appropriate on or after April 26, 2012.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#322012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/13/12 at 3:57pm

I'm with those who think it's incredibly fun to make guesses now. It's interesting to go back and think, "Really? I thought THAT was going to be good?!"

I'm pretty sure no one here thinks they're actually psychic enough to work out all the nominations.

Looking at the suggested nominations, I will say the one that seems most out there to me would be a costume nomination for JCS. All I can say about that show's clothes is YIKES!

And then scenic design for a play could be really interesting. I don't imagine the Salesman set will be in contention since it's a recreation. And I'd be disappointed if Starcatcher got in there. I'd rather see Chinglish and Seminar in those slots.

Speaking of Seminar, I was wondering if Lily Rabe had a chance, and then I looked at the contenders for Leading Actress this year. Amazing group!

TheaterAddict17 Profile Photo
TheaterAddict17
#332012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/14/12 at 5:07pm

This is going to be an intense year at the Tony's, especially with so much that hasn't even opened yet!

I am so excited to see how Nice Work If You Can Get It shapes up...I haven't seen or heard a lot about it so I'm speculating what the show is even going to be.

Does anyone think that Jessie Mueller could nab a nomination for On A Clear Day...? Her performance was stellar and her voice, beyond stunning. "Ev'ry Night at Seven" literally stopped the show when I saw it.

I also wouldn't rule out Alan Rickman for Best Actor in a Play nomination. He gave a very powerful performance in Seminar, which I'm sure will be played very differently by incoming Jeff Goldblum.

emida Profile Photo
emida
#342012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 2:42am

I agree with the person who said that Danny Burstein should be on the list. If he doesn't get a nomination, there is something wrong with this world...

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#352012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 3:45am

Jesse Mueller ABSOLUTELY deserves to be nominated as Best Featured Actress. Her performance was exquisite....a true star of tomorrow in mho. Lindsey Chambers was really solid, funny, and fresh in LJ. Add Jayne Houdyshell for her perfect turn in FOLLIES and you almost have a full category.
Sadly, all of these performances may be forgotten in favor of less solid work in still running shows.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#362012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 5:40am

Hello Spider-Man!

AndersonTours
#372012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 4:48pm

Danny Burstein has to be on that list. For me it was the performance of the season.

Ajpuppypal Profile Photo
Ajpuppypal
#382012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 4:56pm

the only Tony Spiderman deserves is for design. none of the acting was strong enough to win the direction was subpar at best, the book is a mess, the score put me to sleep. i don't know how nominations will go but i doubt Spiderman will be walking away with a lot.

Hank
#392012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/15/12 at 7:09pm

Before having seen them, I'm just gonna guess along:
Newsies close call over Nice Work
Evita
Kelli O'hara close call over Elena Roger
and Jeremy Jordan (he was terrific in Bonnie and Clyde too)

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#402012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/16/12 at 1:45pm

Yes - remember Spider-Man, that will most likely have at least a few design noms. (Though they could surprise us and not give it any --- remember Addams Family's great set and no nomination for it).

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#412012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/16/12 at 4:08pm

If LJ creeps into to Featured Actress category, I don't think Lindsay Nicole Chambers is the cut-and-dried pick....I would just as equally see it going to Liz Mikel.

Plus, the OP must be nuts to think Gehling will get nommed for Best Featured Actor. I'd sooner give it to Jason Tam for LJ. Though I loved OACD, Jessie Mueller was the only Tony-worthy aspect of the show.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Amneris25
#422012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/17/12 at 9:11pm

Has anyone even considered Patti Murin? The run was short, but she was nothing short of brilliant, showing every color you could ever ask for in a lead actress. Plus she belted the SH*T out of all of her songs. I know the short run of the show could ruin the nomination for her, but if she was around for any longer, there would be no question whether she would be nominated or not. She could be the wild card here.

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#432012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/17/12 at 9:18pm

She won't be nominated in a season with Bernadette Peters, Jan Maxwell, Kelli O'Hara, Audra McDonald and Elena Roger and I feel like I'm forgetting people.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#442012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 12:36am

I really don't care who wins the Tony this year...except for two things:

If Danny Burstein doesn't win for Featured Actor, this industry should go shoot itself.

Alan Menken is long overdue for a Tony Award. It's time.

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#452012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 12:37am

Isn't Danny leading? Either way he is overdue.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#462012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 3:02am

Yes, Danny is leading. Oof, the industry must shoot itself now as there's no way he's winning Featured Actor. 2012 Tony Award predictions thread

Menken! I mean, there's no one else, right? They're just going to hand it to him, yeah?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#472012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 3:37am

I'm pretty sure ONCE is ineligible for ORIGINAL SCORE, though it might get an orchestrations nod.... the bigger question will be "Which musical will Alan Menken finally win a tony for? Newsies or Leap of Faith?" or will he split the vote and lose to something else? ....... no way.... he's gotta win, it's his year finally... with 3 musicals on Broadway.

SCORE:
Leap of Faith
Newsies
Lyssie Jones
Ghost

(Bonnie & Clyde = Dark Horse)

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#482012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 4:28am

These are my "No Guts No Glory" picks....

"Best Musical"
ONCE
NEWSIES
LEAP OF FAITH
GHOST

"Best Play"
OTHER DESERT CITIES
CLYBOURNE PARK
PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS
VENUS IN FUR

"Best Revival of a Musical"
PORGY AND BESS
GODSPELL
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
FOLLIES

"Best Revival of a Play"
WIT
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
MASTER CLASS
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

"Best Director of a Musical"
ONCE
NEWSIES
FOLLIES
PORGY AND BESS

"Best Director of a Play"
OTHER DESERT CITIES
PETER AND THE STAR CATCHER
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
CLYBOURNE PARK

"Best Leading Actress in a Musical"
Elena Roger, EVITA
Kelli O'Hara, NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT
Jan Maxwell, FOLLIES
Audra McDonald, PORGY AND BESS
Bernadette Peters, FOLLIES

"Best Actor in a Musical"
Raul Esparza, LEAP OF FAITH
Steve Kazee, ONCE
Jeremy Jordan, NEWSIES
Matthew Broderick, NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT
Norm Lewis, PORGY AND BESS

"Best Actress in a Play"
Stockard Channing, OTHER DESERT CITIES
Cynthia Nixon, WIT
Tracie Bennett, END OF THE RAINBOW
Nina Arianda, VENUS IN FUR
Angela Basset, THE MOUNTAINTOP

"Best Actor in a Play"
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, DEATH OF A SALESMAN
Stacy Keach, OTHER DESERT CITIES
John Lithgow, THE COLUMNIST
Hugh Dancy, VENUS IN FUR
Samuel L. Jackson, THE MOUNTAINTOP

"Best Featured Actress in a Musical"
Judy Kaye, NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT
Kara Lindsay, NEWSIES
Terri White, FOLLIES
Elaine Paige, FOLLIES
Da'Vine Joy Randolph, GHOST

"Best Featured Actor in a Musical"
Michael Cerveris, EVITA
Tom Hewitt, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Ricky Martin, EVITA
Michael McGrath, NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT
David Turner, ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER

"Best Featured Actress in a Play"
Celia Keenan-Bolger, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER
Rachel Griffiths, OTHER DESERT CITIES
Judith Light, OTHER DESERT CITIES
Linda Emond, DEATH OF A SALESMAN
Jennifer Tilly, DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER

"Best Featured Actor in a Play"
Thomas Sadowski, OTHER DESERT CITIES
Boyd Gaines, THE COLUMNIST
Andrew Garfield, DEATH OF A SALESMAN
Christian Borle, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER
Dick Latessa, THE LYONS

"Best Score"
Lewis Flinn, LYSISTRATA JONES
Alan Menken and Glenn Slater, NEWSIES
Alan Menken and Glenn Slater, LEAP OF FAITH
Frank Wildhorn, BONNIE & CLYDE

"Best Book"
Enda Walsh, ONCE
Douglas Carter Beane, LYSISTRATA JONES
Harvey Fierstein, NEWSIES
Bruce Rubin, GHOST

"Best Choreography"
Kathleen Marshall, NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT
Christopher Gattelli, NEWSIES
Rob Ashford, EVITA
Eric Shaefer, FOLLIES

"Best Orchestrations"
ONCE
NEWSIES
GHOST
NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT

"Best Lighting Design of a Musical"
ONCE
EVITA
GHOST
FOLLIES

"Best Lighting Design of a Play"
END OF THE RAINBOW
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
PETER AND THE STARCATCHER
CHINGLISH

"Best Costume Design of a Musical"
NEWSIES
FOLLIES
EVITA
BONNIE & CLYDE

"Best Costume Design of a Play"
END OF THE RAINBOW
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER

"Best Scenic Design of a Musical"
ONCE
BONNIE & CLYDE
FOLLIES
NEWSIES

"Best Scenic Design of a Play"
OTHER DESERT CITIES
CHINGLISH
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
THE MOUNTAINTOP

"Best Sound Design of a Musical"
ONCE
FOLLIES
GHOST
BONNIE & CLYDE

"Best Sound Design of a Play"
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
THE MOUNTAINTOP
END OF THE RAINBOW

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#492012 Tony Award predictions thread
Posted: 3/18/12 at 5:26am

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ghost's nominations, because neither Caissie Levy or Richard Fleeshman picked up Olivier nominations this week. Personally I think the show is technically brilliant but the score is appalling.

Videos