pixeltracker

Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music- Page 2

Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#25Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 4:52pm

Maybe it was a tribute to Betsy Joslyn?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#26Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 4:55pm

Didn't make that connection, but it's uncanny.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#27Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 4:55pm

I saw her in it four times and thought she was wonderful. Sitting up close was key to understanding her performance. She had a lot going on internally.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#28Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 5:03pm

I saw the show something like 9 times, and I really hated her at first but after seeing her several times with Bernadette and Stritch, she grew into the role and seemed much more like a real person. The production really changed once Bernadette and Stritch came in, to be honest...it was much better and more interesting and grounded and real, and it felt like everyone else in the company adjusted their performances during that time they had off and it was all for the better.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 5:04pm

Sitting up close was key to understanding her performance. She had a lot going on internally.

I did. She didn't.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#30Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 5:06pm

Sitting up close was key to understanding her performance. She had a lot going on internally.

Even if that was true, that is not great for a Broadway house.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 5:09pm

I can sit in a chair and have a lot going on internally, but that doesn't mean what I'm doing is interesting or compelling.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AEA AGMA SM
#32Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 6:09pm

"Sitting up close was key to understanding her performance. She had a lot going on internally."

If a performance is dependent on the audience being in the first row then I would say that that actor is not giving a good performance. I'm not saying that people need to play to the rafters, but they do have to give more than just the first couple of rows a good show. Hell, if they are only playing to the first two rows then even the director is going to have a problem, since rarely during tech, dress rehearsals, and previews does a director sit that close to the stage to take notes.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#33Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 8:17pm

Totally understandable. However, I saw her up close very late into the run, so she could have just grown immensely in the role. Maybe it played to the back as well, but I don't know.

Broadway Baby8 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby8
#34Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 8:51pm

I saw her early in the run with CZJ and Lansbury. I was not impressed with Mallory's performance. Really did not enjoy it.

"Be a Fountain, Not a Drain." --Rex Hudler

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#35Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:02pm

"This is really evident once Bernadette and Stritch took over, I think."

But wouldn't Nunn have returned to direct them--or did he not?

It's a fine life! Profile Photo
It's a fine life!
#36Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:05pm

I loved her performance, as well! Her acting was excellent all four times I saw her, and I actually prefer her vocals to her mother's.

I definitely agree with you on the acting. I think I'll always prefer her mother though.

If you don't mind taking it as it turns out, it's a fine, fine LIFE!

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#37Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:09pm

I was so completely taken up by Ms. Stritch's performance that I barely noticed anyone else - Ms. Peters included.

BroadwayFan12
#38Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:38pm

I saw her toward the end of the run and thought her acting and singing were horrendous. I'm sure the direction didn't help, but with the exception of Hunter Ryan Herdlicka, the rest of the cast gave great performances. If only Elaine Stritch had remembered her lines. Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music Updated On: 9/3/12 at 09:38 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#39Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:50pm

But wouldn't Nunn have returned to direct them--or did he not?

I think he was a-skeered of them.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#40Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 9:54pm

You mean he can handle working with Lloyd Webber, but not Stritch? Actually...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 10:11pm

I believe Nunn returned to help with their early rehearsals, but it wasn't very long.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#42Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 10:13pm

I couldn't stand Mallory in the role. Yes, she improved slightly by the time Bernadette and Stritch joined the company, but really she was an annoying, whiny nuisance. I wanted to jump up on stage and strangle her. Someone earlier mentioned Veruca Salt and that's exactly who she reminded me of. She was so shrill, and with that annoying horse laugh what did Frederik ever see in her?

I would put her up there with the most grating performances I've seen in a professional production in NYC.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#43Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 10:22pm

Stritch & Peters - The Glamorous Life

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#44Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 10:28pm

I thought she was a revelation in the role.

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#45Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/3/12 at 11:28pm

i saw the show three times; once in previews, once shortly after bernadette and elaine joined the cast, and once close to the end of the run. echoing what others have said, i hated her performance initially but was on board with it the subsequent two times, not only because she had improved but also because i knew what to expect from her. some of the stuff she did was so odd and unfunny that it occasionally circled back around to being funny again-- maybe not in the way the creators intended, but still.

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#46Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/4/12 at 11:56am

I saw the show twice and I enjoyed her performance both times. The character was a bit annoying at times but I liked it.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#47Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/4/12 at 9:15pm

I went in the first time expecting to be annoyed by her (based on some of the negative things I had heard about her) but was pleasantly surprised. She impressed me quite a bit. The second time I saw the production she was one of the highlights. I also really enjoy her vocal choices on the recording.

Differences of opinion- one of the many joys of live theatre.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#48Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/6/12 at 3:45pm

I saw her when Peters and Stritch (who took about 15 minutes to sing "Liasons")...I don't see how she could have gotten this part if not for her parents involvement in the Original Cast. I know that's been debated...but still it had to have been on everyone's mind during the casting process about how nice it would be for her and her family.

And she wasn't terrible...it's just that I would think at least 10 ingenues with legit soprano voices more to NYC every day...one of them might have been a better choice.

And while we are at this...Leigh Anne Larkin trying to turn "The Miller's Son" into a comedic number was not a good choice, IMO.

BroadwayFan12
#49Ramona Mallory in A Little Night Music
Posted: 9/6/12 at 10:56pm

^I don't think she tried to turn it into a comedic number. She gave the strongest performance after Bernadette's, IMO.

Videos