KING KONG Musical

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#25KING KONG Musical
Posted: 5/27/13 at 8:22pm

I don't care so much for the music, but Kong looks amazing!!!

I like that the puppeteers act as counterweights. Their constant presence gives a persistent sense of scale. The fact that they're buzzing around him and falling off him (as counterweights) make him look wild and dangerous.

I don't know if that would get "old" after a while, but it looks fantastic in the clips!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#26KING KONG Musical
Posted: 5/27/13 at 9:34pm

I found the music to be pretty soulless. Neat puppetry, but nothing here to get me excited.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#27KING KONG Musical
Posted: 5/27/13 at 9:36pm

This looks truly stunning. I would see this in a heartbeat.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

#29KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/3/13 at 12:51pm

Anyone see this yet?! There is nothing on the Melbourne page

Brian07663NJ
#30KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:09pm

I think this has the potential to be exciting. Interested in seeing this!
This link works to see the Updated On: 6/3/13 at 01:09 PM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#31KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:16pm

The puppetry is truly breathtaking. Even the subtle movements as Kong sleeps is just spot on and, I imagine, takes lots of talent and teamwork to produce. It is always exciting to see such innovation and talent onstage. I hope the rest of the show matches it! (For the record, I very much enjoyed the song in the preview video.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:59pm

Seems like all the money/thought was put into King Kong because everything else looks kind of "blah." Hopefully the story is captivating. I think it really could make for a great musical. The story is already so melodramatic.

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#33KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/3/13 at 2:30pm

The Kong puppet is truly amazing! Quite impressive! Can't wait to hear rosscoe's recap.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#34KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/15/13 at 5:49pm

Just Google reviews for it and the 1st one is up from CH 3 news there. Sorry, I am not able to link it here. It is pretty ppositive.

Just give the world Love.

NOB88
Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#36KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/15/13 at 9:38pm

A couple of newspaper reviews:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/theatre/king-kong-20130615-2obel.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/arts/audiences-awed-by-king-kong-spectacle/story-fni0fcgk-1226664308340

FWIW, my impression is that Australian newspaper reviews tend to 'grade on a curve' a bit; a so-so show might get a generous review simply because it's the best one likely to be on in Melbourne/Sydney/the country within the next year or so. I may be just reading my own expectations into these though.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#37KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/15/13 at 11:08pm

Yes, most reviewers here tend towards positivity, so it interesting to note that the reviews aren't necessarily raves.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#38KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/16/13 at 3:07am

More interesting than the commentary posted by NOB88 is this comment by someone who actually saw it...
"Edwin wrote:

King Kong may have been great if you were in the front seat but the experience for people up the back was different. If you didn't know the story you would have been lost. I felt like if I was on acid it would have made more sense. Clarity of people voices was poor, so don't take your mother - she might end up falling asleep as my friend did next to me. 1/2 way through the first act all these people were going to the toilet. The people next to me didn't return after the first act. There was a kid in front of me who was not even watching the show. The worst $75 spent."

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#39KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/16/13 at 6:01am

The Regent Theatre is quite similar to the Broadway Theatre. If you're up the back, you're very far away from the stage and it feels like you may as well be watching a screen. Which is to be expected, since it was built as a cinema.

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#40KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/16/13 at 7:50pm

Can someone tell me what "The Newspaper of Record" is for Australia? Much like the Times for Theatre in NYC?

Just wondering which of these reviews are considered having more Weight?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#41KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/16/13 at 7:53pm

None of the newspapers in Australia have weight when it comes to reviews, Australians will either take to it or not, reviews really have very little to do it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#42KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/16/13 at 9:02pm

The puppetry looks incredible but the rest of the show seems lazy. I would see it with comps or a discount code but probably wouldn't pay much.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#43KING KONG Musical
Posted: 6/18/13 at 4:01am

As if to underline rosscoe(au)'s point, the writer of the aforelinked Age review has now written an article advising people to ignore the critics and go see it anyway.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/theatre/dont-let-critics-squabbling-detract-from-kongs-extraordinary-majesty-20130617-2oebx.html

Videos