pixeltracker

Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?- Page 2

Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 6:13pm

On film: The Sound of Music
On stage: I've always been partial to Oklahoma!, particularly with the De Mille choreography.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#26Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 6:30pm

Stage: Carousel or South Pacific
Movie: The Sound of Music.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#28Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 6:49pm

My favorite all-time is Carousel, but I love The King and I and Cinderella also.

I also am excited about that King And I revival with Kelli O'Hara! I'd love Sound of Music with Sierra Boggess or Ashley Brown as Maria. I'd also love to see a revision of State Fair - any reason as to why it didn't last long?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#29Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 6:59pm

Without a doubt: THE KING and I

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#30Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 7:19pm

If I could only see one, it would be OKLAHOMA!

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

Gothampc
#31Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 9:51pm

Carousel has always been my favorite.

But I have another question to ask. How come the earlier musicals (Carousel, Oklahoma, South Pacific) all had heavy themes but by the time they got to The Sound of Music it was all treacle? Was this because the source material was that way or did R&H just want to write lighter fare?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
#32Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:02pm

Carousel, with South Pacific being a close second.
But it was The Sound of Music film, and seeing Rebecca Luker in the revival is what made me fall in love with theatre, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. It was the first Broadway show I ever saw.

Gothampc
#33Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:05pm

"It was the first Broadway show I ever saw."

Sorry for that. The only good thing about that show was that they had a really cool show curtain.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

somethingbypuccini 2
#34Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:08pm

I recently watched a video of the production, and yea..it definitely lost most of the magic from when I first saw it. I still kind of love Luker's Maria, despite how wrong she is for the role, but even when I first saw the show I hated Siberry. Really awful.

I can so clearly remember that show curtain. I loved it so much when I was younger.

Gothampc
#35Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:31pm

The problem with the character of Maria is that she's so sweet and there's really nowhere to go with the character. Maria von Trapp was quoted as saying that she told both Mary Martin and Julie Andrews to "butch it up" (Okay maybe she didn't say it that way, but you get the meaning).

The problem with Luker was that she, imo, is a bland actress and playing a sweet character made her fade into the scenery.

And even Patti Cohenour, who I enjoy, really didn't have the gravitas to play the Mother Superior. I felt like I was watching a high school girl trying to play old and wise.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#36Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:35pm

Show: CAROUSEL

Score: THE SOUND OF MUSIC

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

somethingbypuccini 2
#37Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 10:37pm

I completely agree. I obviously never saw Martin, but I think that Luker is missing the "wink" that Martin and Andrews had. Her performance is just so earnest that it lacks any depth. I just couldn't see the kids falling in love with her, her Maria was no fun at all. I also think she read too old for the part.
Sang like a dream though. But even her singing suffered in comparison to Andrews.
Oh well. Little me was enamored with whoever was playing Rolf, and I loved every second of the production.

broadwayboy987
#38Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:01pm

For me it's a tossup between Carousel and South Pacific! Would love a new Broadway revival of Carousel! (Or if a new production would come to L.A.!)

After Eight
#39Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:09pm

Cinderella.

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, that is. Not the deformation thereof currently on display at the Broadway Theatre.

Gothampc
#40Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:16pm

"Would love a new Broadway revival of Carousel!"

I think the problem always is "How do we portray a carousel?" It's too difficult to build a real one, but we can't charge $150 for an imagined one.

TrippyTrellis
#41Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:40pm

My three favorite R&H songs are: "Some Enchanted Evening", "You'll Never Walk Alone" and "If I Loved You". I would say a tossup between "Carousel" and "South Pacific".

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#42Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:42pm

Oklahoma! has always been my favorite.

ABitOnTheSide Profile Photo
ABitOnTheSide
#43Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/8/13 at 11:52pm

The King and I. The Uncle Tom's Cabin ballet adds something that no Broadway show has ever replicated in terms of originality.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#44Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 12:11am

When did Rodgers & Hammerstein become "Rodgers + Hammerstein"? Must the plus sign be used?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#45Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 12:19am

When played correctly the relationship between Anna and the King make this show, perhaps the most sophisticated, primal and complicated "love" story ever seen on stage. The score is beyond brilliant. SOMETHING WONDERFUL is my fav R&H song. As I child I was in the show and when the song is re-prised at the King's death bed, I cried every night.

Choosing one show is way too hard, but the original FLOWER DRUM SONG was complete charming and the "revisal" was an abomination . It deserves better.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#46Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 1:28am

Grease

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#47Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 1:31am

After Eight, I finally have seen Cinderella and unfortunatly I will never think that "deformation" is the correct word for what I saw. You see, it's just that I never cared for the original Cinderella on television or it's other two versions because they feel like mashed potatoes going against the composers other legendary work on stage. At least I will give the Broadway version some credit that Beane and the creative team tried to make Cinderella more well known to the public and to make a unique version that, at least to me, put more effort than Hawng could dream up in his sleep. But hey, your opinion is perfectly fine, if you love the original for what it is, more power to you.

Yet the new Flower Drum Song's use of the word deformation is a criminal understatment. THAT HORRID, UNATURAL, DEMONIC S*** CAN GO TO "THE OTHER PLACE" FOR ALL I CARE!! SOMEONE CALL THE EXORCIST! PLEASE I BEG YOU!!

Curtain, I will defenitley agree that the score to The King and I is nothing short of a masterpiece, and the film version will always be my favorite movie musical of all time. Plus it is my absolute favorite musical from Rodgers and Hammerstein; it's a shame that Me and Juliet had to come afterwards.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#48Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 1:37am

Oklahoma! The Kind and I is a close second.

I'm sentimental about Cinderella, but I can understand its flaws. There's unfortunately not a lot of meat to the story.

broadwayboy987
#49Which Rodgers & Hammerstein Classic do you love the most?
Posted: 6/9/13 at 1:39am

Gothampc - I saw this wonderful production a few years ago that had what looked to be a real carousel, and than when the transition came, the center piece folded like an umbrella and was pulled upwards, and the horses all were on wheels or something like that and rolled off. It made for a beautiful transition, and was remarkably designed. There could be a turntable to make it spin. It didn't seem to be too much of a cost, and it really was spectacular! I'm not the best at descriptions...

Videos