pixeltracker

Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre- Page 2

Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:14am

Being able to see a Cirque show without going to Vegas?

What's next?

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#26Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:15am

^^ Never heard of Randalls Island.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:17am

Cirque has been performing widely outside of Vegas for years. I didn't know the rock you were living under was that heavy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#28Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:01pm

I used to really love Cirque du Soleil but the quality of their work has diminished greatly in the past few years. I can't think of anything worthwhile that's come from them since The Beatles' Love and that was out in 2006.

Maybe I'm forgetting something they've done since that has fared well? I haven't seen Zed and I heard that was more of a return to form.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:26pm

Corteo is one of my favorites and I heard raves about Ovo.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#30Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:21pm

Corteo came out before Love. I also like that one. Great staging!

You're the first person I've heard say something good about Ovo. I heard it was pretty bad.

wssinsider
#31Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:28pm

Interesting fact. The new Cirque show is  going to be under AGVA contract   not AEA meaning they can make the cast do 2-3 shows a day like Radio City. Broadway is slowly transforming into Vegas.

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 01:28 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:47pm

Broadway is slowly transforming into Vegas.

No, Broadway is just being Broadway.  A national hub for entertainment for over a century.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

brdway411
#33Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 1:59pm

They should just throw a big tent over 42nd st and call it Disney-Cirque-Dave&Buster-Ripley's-Mademe Tussaud-Applebbes Land

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 01:59 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#34Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:01pm

I would much rather see something else go in that theater. I like Cirque a lot. Have seen a number of their shows and have even worked for them. I like them better in Vegas or seeing a tent show.  I love their touring tent shows. I also feel that their shows started to become a bit repetitive as far as acts go.  JMO

Just give the world Love.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#35Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:06pm

wssinsider, Paramour is actually sticking very close to a typical 8-show week schedule. They'll be doing two shows a day on Saturday and Sunday, and dark on Tuesdays.

theatregoer3, Michael Jackson ONE opened a couple of years ago some of the best reviews they've gotten in recent memory. It's a great show and easily the best of "Cirque 2.0" batch.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#36Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:37pm

The description sounds extremely similar to IRIS which resided in Los Angeles at the Dolby (the then Kodak) Theatre a few years ago. It sounds like the same concept, except this one will contain a good bit of musical theatre while the other was cinematic (Danny Elfman did the music). Either way, at the time IRIS was the best show in years from them. So if it's anything similar to that I will be pleased! They should have just transferred it to New York anyway instead of closing it. 

If anyone is interested in seeing it, the whole show is uploaded on YouTube. 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 02:37 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#37Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:48pm

Will anything be booked for the months in between? 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#38Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 2:54pm

Wow, some people seem really irritated by this. I think it's a great idea since so few things can survive in the Lyric. And as others have said, it's not like this is the first show that wasn't a play or musical to be on Broadway.

I only have one experience with Cirque du Soleil. I saw Amaluna in San Francisco a couple years ago. The show, which was based on The Tempest, was directed by the great Dianne Paulus herself, and was incredibly beautiful. 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 02:54 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#39Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 3:04pm

wssinsider said: "Interesting fact. The new Cirque show is  going to be under AGVA contract   not AEA meaning they can make the cast do 2-3 shows a day like Radio City. Broadway is slowly transforming into Vegas."

Is it confirmed that they will be under an AGVA contract? Cirque has been notoriously anti-union in regards to their performers (none of their resident shows, in Vegas or elsewhere, or their touring shows are under an AGVA contract.

Starship
#40Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 4:19pm

Sounds identical to IRIS, but whatever. Sounds fun!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#41Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 4:40pm

Cirque, from my experience, is not what I'd call "performer friendly." Lots of issues with injury, injury recovery, and where injured performers fall contractually.

I assumed this would be non-Union as most Cirque shows are. This made me think about something that perhaps someone can answer. In a show like The Illusionists, for example, are the magician's assistants AGVA performers or just salaried non-Union.

wssinsider
#42Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 4:48pm

Yes it is confirmed as a AGVA contract. Auditions started this week. Telsey is casting. 2016 CIRQUE PROJECT CONTRACT: AGVA
Staging Director: West Hyler
Choreographer: Daphne Mauger
Casting: Telsey + Company
Auditions: Late August in NYC
Rehearsals: January 2016
Previews: April 2016        
Opening: June 2016 

Updated On: 8/19/15 at 04:48 PM

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#43Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 5:14pm

The creative team is basically the one from IRIS. Good then. It should be great!

ivandixon2
#44Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 6:44pm

Hopefully this show fares better than IRIS. $100M outlay for what was suppose to be a ten-year run. It only lasted a little over a year.....had a friend who saw it with only 85 other people in the 3,400 seat Kodak

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#45Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 8:11pm

"Broadway musicals tend to struggle to fill that house anyway. Might as well just make it a special event venue."

Guess I can't argue with that... but it would be kind of depressing to have a Circus act own a Broadway theatre as suggested... but if they had a hit like "O" or "KA" it could run for years... 

Howard Shore
#46Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 9:15pm

And to be clear the Quebec Government  also owns it. 

"

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#47Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/19/15 at 10:50pm

they will probably have several different casts then if they are doing 2 or 3 shows a day. I wonder if they will transform the theatre! 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Starship
#48Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/20/15 at 2:09pm

I am confused as to why they named it Paramour considering the word means: a lover, especially the illicit partner of a married person.

BroadMagTech
#49Cirque du Soleil: Paramour coming to Broadway's Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/20/15 at 6:11pm

I am so excited! I was wondering if once the Wiz comes to Broadway, Paramour will leave.

Videos