pixeltracker

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!- Page 2

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#25Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:30pm

Don't single out Katrina Lenk and Amber Riley. I think it'll be Katrina/Amber vs. Caissie

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:40pm

If and when Dreamgirls gets confirmed, I think Amber Riley will become a lock.    

brian1973
#27Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:53pm

Amber will win the Tony. She is beyond sensational in this show. 

Its looking like a pretty poor year though to be honest. Is Mean Girls definately going to open in that season?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#28Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:55pm

brian1973 said: "Amber will win the Tony. She is beyond sensational in this show. 

Its looking like a pretty poor year though to be honest. Is Mean Girls definately going to open in that season?
"

It's all but confirmed. They just need to find a theatre, but there are many available ones.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#29Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:13pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think it'll be Katrina/Amber vs. Caissie" 

I don't see a scenario in which either Levy or Murin is even in serious contention to win. Nominated, perhaps, not win. I think they will be solid, polished performances - maybe even charming. But not the sort of performance that WINS you a Tony in the leading category. I'd be happy to eat my words if either of them does win, but I seriously doubt it.

It's also worth noting that James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie is the only performance in a Disney show that has ever won a Tony, and that was a tour-de-force supporting role - not a standard, run-of-the-mill belting protagonist type. 

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 02:13 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#30Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:14pm

Wow the Leading Actress in a Musical category is already so competitive that some big names will inevitably be left out. Is DREAMGIRLS definitely coming in this season? 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Sunny11
#31Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:23pm

JBroadway said "I don't see a scenario in which either Levy or Murin is even in serious contention to win. Nominated, perhaps, not win. I think they will be solid, polished performances - maybe even charming. But not the sort of performance that WINS you a Tony in the leading category. ... - not a standard, run-of-the-mill belting protagonist type
"

And Sutton Foster, Jessie Mueller or Kelli O'Hara weren't in their Tony winning roles ? 

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 02:23 PM

MyLife
#32Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:28pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "ozjust4 said: "I think Taylor Louderman would likely be a featured actress for Mean Girls. Cady is the lead."

You could be right, but they've been doing some advertising that says things like, "Eva Peron. Mama Rose. Every great musical has one." That leads me to believe they're writing Regina as a lead role, but we'll have to see!
"

That doesn't mean the slogan is referencing Regina. Remember, Cady becomes the Queen Bee and the new mean girl throughout the course of the movie. But also, I think the advertising is just referencing the title of the show overall, less so a specific character. Every show has a mean girl, this show is about a group of mean girls.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#33Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:32pm

"It's also worth noting that James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie is the only performance in a Disney show that has ever won a Tony, and that was a tour-de-force supporting role - not a standard, run-of-the-mill belting protagonist type."

That would be incorrect.  Heather Headley won Best Actress in Musical for AIDA.  Unless you want to amend your post to say 'based on an animated film.'  But AIDA was definitely a Disney Theatricals Production.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#34Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:35pm

SonofRobbieJ said: ""It's also worth noting that James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie is the only performance in a Disney show that has ever won a Tony, and that was a tour-de-force supporting role - not a standard, run-of-the-mill belting protagonist type."

That would be incorrect.  Heather Headley won Best Actress in Musical for AIDA.  Unless you want to amend your post to say 'based on an animated film.'  But AIDA was definitely a Disney Theatricals Production.
"

Disney Theatricals also low-key produced PETER AND THE STARCATCHER, which won Christian Borle his first Tony.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#35Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:36pm

You know, it's funny. I actually thought of Aida and considered editing my post. But then I just thought "nah, they'll get what I mean." Silly me. I always underestimate BroadwayWorld. (btw I didn't say "Disney Theatricals-produced show" I said "Disney show" which I admit is vague enough warrant a clarification, but it's closer to what I was actually saying) 

Forgive me - James Monroe Iglehart is the only actor from a show based on a Disney movie to win a Tony for his performance. 

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 02:36 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#36Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 3:00pm

I assumed that's what you meant...but clarity is always a good thing!

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#37Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 3:12pm

With sound design Tonys coming back, I would call that a guaranteed win for Spongebob 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#38Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 5:24pm

Sunny11 said: "JBroadway said "I don't see a scenario in which either Levy or Murin is even in serious contention to win. Nominated, perhaps, not win. I think they will be solid, polished performances - maybe even charming. But not the sort of performance that WINS you a Tony in the leading category. ... - not a standard, run-of-the-mill belting protagonist type
"

And Sutton Foster, Jessie Mueller or Kelli O'Hara weren't in their Tony winning roles ? 
"

No, not at all. Well...maybe Sutton for Millie (I'm not actually very familiar with that show or the role). Reno Sweeney is a major triple-threat star vehicle role. Kelli O'Hara's Tony win was for a very complex, acting-heavy leading role, which btw doesn't really involve "belting."  Mueller's performance was also very acting heavy, and the style of singing was not your average Broadway belt sound. 

Sunny11
#39Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 7:44pm

I though that you where saying that female protagonists don't win Tonys, I might have misunderstood.

But to me the two sisters in Frozen could potentially be as meaty as those roles.    Elsa in particular has a strong arc in the movie and has a terrific solo in let it go. 

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 07:44 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#40Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:26pm

Sunny11 said: "I though that you where saying that female protagonists don't win Tonys, I might have misunderstood."

No, not what I was saying at all. In fact I very deliberately used gender-neutral terms all throughout my post.

"But to me the two sisters in Frozen could potentially be as meaty as those roles.    Elsa in particular has a strong arc in the movie and has a terrific solo in let it go."

Maybe. I haven't seen the show yet. But having seen the movie, and having seen Murin and Levy in other shows, I just seriously doubt it. I'm not saying that the roles are BAD or that either of those actors are BAD. I just don't think they are Tony-winning caliber. Recently the musical lead categories have gone to roles that I consider WAY meatier than I anticipate Anna and Elsa being. And in most cases they were portrayed by performers who - in my opinion - are much better actors than both Murin and Levy. Again - I'm prepared to eat my word if I'm wrong. But I just don't see it happening at all. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/17/17 at 9:28pm

The Band's Visit WINS Best Musical...nominated for 8-10 TONY Awards!

My Fair Lady WINS Best Revival Musical...nominated for 10 TONY Awards!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#42Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/19/17 at 10:44pm

Ummmmm....I guess so much for a nomination and win for Best Scenic Design for Frozen, I guess? Which should had been their lock

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#43Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 8/20/17 at 12:53am

I look forward to Harry Potter cleaning up the tech awards on the play side.

Leading Actress in a Musical is going to be quite the race! Can't wait to see who gets cast as Eliza... my gut says that the noms will be that future Eliza, Hailey Kilgore, Katrina Lenk, Jessie Mueller, and Amber Riley. But the Frozen ladies and Mean Girls girls are definitely contenders, depending on reviews. An abundance of riches this year.

I'm rooting for Once On This Island to blow everyone away and take revival!

I'm also looking forward to rereading this post in eight months and rolling my eyes at how wrong I was. :) 

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 12:53 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#44Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/4/17 at 7:53pm

Betsy for the win!!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nmlhats
#45Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/5/17 at 2:49pm

willrolandsframes said: "

BEST PLAY:
Farinelli and the King
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (WINNER)
Meteor Shower
The Minutes

Don't overlook JUNK as a Best Play nominee. Based on what I've read about its California incarnation, it looks to be this season's OSLO. I have tix for that one as well as Meteor Shower and Farinelli & the King!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-junk-play-review-20160803-snap-story.html

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/theater/sdut-la-jolla-playhouse-junk-theater-review-2016aug06-htmlstory.html

Updated On: 9/5/17 at 02:49 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#47Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/5/17 at 3:40pm

Betsy will certainly nab her first nomination this year - I don't know if it'll be a win. We'll have to see who is up against her in the featured category.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#48Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/5/17 at 3:43pm

I've read Elsa might be considered Featured, which would make for an interesting race. What other roles might be featured? One of the plastics in Mean girls, Lilli cooper in spongebob? I'm not too familiar with Once on this island, is lea salonga Featured? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#49Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/5/17 at 4:15pm

Oh, how thrilling would it be if it was Betsy against Caissie? That would be so "SMASH" it would hurt.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#50Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/7/17 at 12:52am

BroadwayConcierge said: "ozjust4 said: "I think Taylor Louderman would likely be a featured actress for Mean Girls. Cady is the lead."

You could be right, but they've been doing some advertising that says things like, "Eva Peron. Mama Rose. Every great musical has one." That leads me to believe they're writing Regina as a lead role, but we'll have to see!
"

Concierge has a point. I mean the show IS called "Mean" girls. Cady's the nice one, so I'd totally be down for Regina being the Lead (or the co-lead, which is probably more likely). And I cannot see Elsa being bumped down to Featured, that's just so... wrong. But the way award season shapes up will probably decide if the producers would want folks from the same show to be competing against each other like that. I'm still pissed that not one of the Fun Home ladies took away the Tony award.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Videos