Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened

Alfie6
#25Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:28pm

But where were your seats??

wonkit
#26Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:30pm

If I only attended productions that involved people whose views I share, I would probably be sitting at home with the TV off. Not everyone in this production shares Rylance's view. So if you didn't pay for a ticket to this production, you would be "boycotting" them - something that was known during the McCarthy era (which I lived through) as guilt by association. This was not a fund raiser for Palestinian supporters. It was a theatrical production. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#27Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:33pm

@z5 said: "i Don’t understand how people are anti-Israel being that it’s the once totally democratic State in that region. But hey, there are morons born every day.

Im not too excited to see that show anymore.
"

Ethno-states aren't exactly "totally democratic" if a portion of the people who live there are denied voting rights (or rights in general) based on their ethnicity or religious beliefs. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#28Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:37pm

Bette's Turban said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Good! Israel should be boycotted until they give back the Palestinians their land."

You are a uneducated idiot. Maybe know what your talking about before posting such bull.
"

These direct insults aren't called for here. Or anywhere on this board. He's sharing his opinion. Feel free to disagree. Name calling is not going to get you anywhere.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:39pm

Religion causing trouble again? There’s a shocker!

And yes it’s a very popular ‘left-wing’ view to be anti-Israel (particularly outside the United States) so if this issue is important to you stop digging deeper or you might find you’ll never go to the theatre again.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BroadwayAndSports
#30Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:50pm

Yeah I don't see anymore of Rylance's stuff because of how blindly anti-Israel he is. It's totally cool to criticize a government like we do here but to attack it relentlessly while staying all silent on all of the atrocities in the region is just anti-Semitic.

Arabs in Israel have complete and full rights, including the 3rd most seats in the Parliament. Can't say the same for Jews anywhere else in the Middle East. It's a shame that so many are blinded and their sympathy toward the Palestinians (which is warranted) is focused into a hatred of Israel. 

Major Domo
#31Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:17pm

Somebody should inform Steven Spielberg.

UncleCharlie
#32Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:31pm

Call_me_jorge said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Good! Israel should be boycotted until they give back the Palestinians their land."

Jorge, are you EFFING kidding me?
"

I’m not kidding. The way the Israel government is treating Palestine is the same way the us government has treated the natives of this country. Israel needs to give up the settlements, without that land a functioning Palestine would never come to fruition. Right now Palestine is cut up into little pieces of lands and none of it is connected to one another without having to go through bordercontrols. It’s not good for building an economy.
"

So if Israel followed your sage advice and "gave up" the part of Israel between Gaza and the West Bank so Palestine could be "connected", then Israel would be broken into two parts and its north would be disconnected from its South. Do you see that as a problem? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:48pm

On the attack that just happened in NYC

“Ullah told investigators he carried out the attack because of recent Israeli actions in Gaza, a law enforcement source said.”

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:49pm

I'm glad that, having solved the issue of racism through numerous peaceful discussions, the people of BWW are now tackling Israel and Palestine. I look forward to a productive, informed debate.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jarethan
#35Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:53pm

poisonivy2 said: "mamaleh said: "After telling a friend that I enjoyed FARINELLI AND THE KING, especially Mark Rylance's performance, she was surprised I had supported the play. I was shocked when she explained.Did everyone else know what I didn't? That Rylance, along with Roger Waters, Caryl Churchill and other biased Brits,is one of the most virulent boycotters of Israel? I knew aboutWaters and Churchill, but not about Rylance, who I just learnedprotested the Globe Theater's inviting the Hebrew-language Habima company as early as2002 while ignoring the theater'sinvites to China, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

I'm disgusted now that I've given $$ to anything associated with Rylance. And so, so disappointed that one of my (previously) favorite actors has chosen to align himself with BDSand others whose agenda is not to promote peace but topromote the destruction of Israel.

So sad.

"

Well maybe next time before you buy tickets you can do research on the artists involved and see whether they support causes that you deem unacceptable, no?
"

Maybe, s/he should just stay home.  I am so sick of people politicizing everything (even though I admit to posting that I hate Trump) and assuming that someone else is only entitled to his / her opinion as long as it agrees with their own.  Personally, I do not think the situation in Israel can be trivialized into a couple of sentences; that said, I personally am feeling sorrier for the Palestinians these days than for the Israelis.  And I am NOT an anti-semite, so don't even go there.  Very few things in this world are black and white, certainly not this subject.

UncleCharlie
#36Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:58pm

qolbinau said: "On the attack that just happened in NYC

“Ullah told investigators he carried out the attack because of recent Israeli actions in Gaza, a law enforcement source said.

Israel must be doing some bad stuff in Gaza if a crazed lunatic who would have killed hundreds of people at the Port Authority in New York if he hadn't been stopped has concerns about it. Settles the issue for me!

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#37Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:08pm

Big F*CKing Giant?
Big Dicked Sadists?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:11pm

Somebody should inform Steven Spielberg.

Yes, should be interesting to see if this has an effect on their relationship and future projects together.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#39Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:18pm

They are doing some pretty horrible stuff over there. The police are extremely violent and tourists seem to have more rights than the Palestinians. It's exactly like what the US did to the Native Americans. Also, it shouldn't make you an anti-semite to say that it's wrong that the Palestinians were pushed out of their homes and stripped of their rights simply because it's your "holy land."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:23pm

But didn’t God give it to them? I mean, how can you argue with God?

VintageSnarker
#41Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:27pm

Kad said: "I'm glad that, having solved the issue of racism through numerous peaceful discussions, the people of BWW are now tackling Israel and Palestine. I look forward to a productive, informed debate."

Bravo

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#42Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:29pm

qolbinau said: "On the attack that just happened in NYC

“Ullah told investigators he carried out the attack because of recent Israeli actions in Gaza, a law enforcement source said.”
"

Please cite your sources....I haven't seen that anywhere.

"He chose the location because of its Christmas-themed posters, recalling strikes in Europe against Christmas markets, he told investigators, and set off the bomb in retaliation for U.S. airstrikes on ISIS targets in Syria and elsewhere, several law enforcement officials said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/nyregion/explosion-times-square.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

perfectliar
#43Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:31pm

Can we please get a mod to remove this thread? It's in violation of the board rules.

Also, it's tacky.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:31pm

It’s on CNN. To be clear though I am just reporting the quote. I am agonistic about this Israeli/Arab conflict because I don’t have enough knowledge about it.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/12/11/us/new-york-possible-explosion-port-authority-subway/index.html

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 6:25pm

I'm glad that, having solved the issue of racism through numerous peaceful discussions, the people of BWW are now tackling Israel and Palestine. I look forward to a productive, informed debate.

I hope qolbinau spews the same-old rhetoric!  That's always so inciteful and repetitive the first 300 times.  Want to place bets on how long until he demands control of the conversation?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 6:30pm

I would have hoped you would realise I actually don’t have strong feelings about this issue at all hence have not really participated in this conversation beyond a few random short posts. However, feel free to direct yourself to the off topic board if you would like to discuss the recent terrorist attack in NYC.

Dollypop
#47Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 7:08pm

Kad said: "I am shocked that the marketing for Farinelli doesn't prominently include this piece of information!"

God knows there's enough PR going on for this show: mailers, e-mails, pop up ads, print ads. They could include any information they wanted and most people would just ignore it. There's just too much hype for this play.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 9:55pm

If anyone wants to protest this show, send me the PDF files of your tickets, and I'll film them going through my shredder for you... 

mw212 Profile Photo
mw212
#49Enjoyed FARINELLI -- Now I'm Sickened
Posted: 12/11/17 at 10:54pm

mamaleh said: "After telling a friend that I enjoyed FARINELLI AND THE KING, especially Mark Rylance's performance, she was surprised I had supported the play. I was shocked when she explained.Did everyone else know what I didn't? That Rylance, along with Roger Waters, Caryl Churchill and other biased Brits,is one of the most virulent boycotters of Israel? I knew aboutWaters and Churchill, but not about Rylance, who I just learnedprotested the Globe Theater's inviting the Hebrew-language Habima company as early as2002 while ignoring the theater'sinvites to China, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

I'm disgusted now that I've given $$ to anything associated with Rylance. And so, so disappointed that one of my (previously) favorite actors has chosen to align himself with BDSand others whose agenda is not to promote peace but topromote the destruction of Israel.

So sad.

I understand this is a sensitive subject for many people. But I would like to point out. 

The Habima company protest took place in 2012. The company did perform at The Globe Theatre. 

Rylance signed the Artist Pledge in February 2015. There are over 1,000 artists on that list. Many familiar names to regular theatre-goers in NYC and London.  I understand you're using hyperbole, but they're hardly "one of the most virulent boycotters." 

The NY Post wrote about Rylance during Nice Fish in March 2016 after his Oscar win. 

P.S. Mad props to the person who wrote about seating. Lol. 

Videos