pixeltracker

LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"- Page 2

LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#25LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:18pm

There are many who would love a revival of Sunset.  Since Miss Close did a limited run of Sunset, maybe Miss Patti would be willing to do a similar version.  It would provide closure to a painful episode of her life.  I mean, if she and ALW can achieve a theatrical version of detente, then perhaps we can see Miss LuPone as Norma Desmond on Broadway? It's plausible, I think.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:21pm

I would bet $100 we will never see a proper broadway revival of sunset with Patti given we just had the Close revival. However, if she was willing surely someone would mount a one, two or three-night concert in NYC.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Princeton2
#27LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:45pm

qolbinau said: "Surely the “it’s time for a revival” comment was hinting that Andrew wants Patti to reprise her role aka Glenn Close in Sunset. This needs to happen!"

The article says he was referring to Evita 

'Sources say Lloyd Webber made her laugh when he suggested it was time for an “Evita” revival. (Ricky Martin starred in one in 2012.)'

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:51pm

Yes. I meant she would star in a revival of Evita like Close did Sunset. Maybe with the Hal Prince production. But this is a lot of wishful thinking on my part. Would Patti commit to any length of time given she thinks the score is unhealthy to sing? (At least, if I recall she claimed ALW hates women jokingly because of it).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wildcard
#29LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:56pm

Maybe Patti can do Sunset if it plays in LA. It will just be for one month so it seems like a good gig.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#30LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 3:01pm

I like everyone love to speculate and imagine a major "détente" - where Patti and ALW return as collaborators in some form.  But more than likely it will just be an end of some of the animosity.  It's hard to imagine Patti ever being in a full -revival of Evita or Sunset.  More than likely it just makes her singing Sunday night at the Grammy's a bit less awkward and in some sense closing the chapter on the tension.  Maybe she'll stop calling ALW an alcoholic and whatever else she did and add With One Look and As If We Never Said Goodbye to her concert line ups without it being so awkward.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#31LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 3:09pm

Wildcard said: "Maybe Patti can do Sunset if it plays in LA. It will just be for one month so it seems like a good gig."

In LA - I could imagine Glen Close being majorly pissed off if that were to happen

AMWB Profile Photo
AMWB
#32LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"
Posted: 1/26/18 at 5:39pm

I imagine that the last year of Hate and discord in this country perhaps made Patti decide that the negative energy towards ALW just isn’t worth it anymore.
He treated her awfully, and I’m sure she won’t forget that, but it’s good for her soul if she can move on from it.

As for whatshisface’s comments about her being mean to assistants — that’s just not truth. She is harsh to people who aren’t able to do their jobs. Been there, seen it, experienced her generosity and have seen her angry. She is fair and professional and kind and funny, but when it comes to work, she is no-nonsense. Most of her colleagues appreciate that.

I’m SO excited for Sunday!! It’s pretty cool that Ben Platt and Patti LuPone are the ones chosen to represent Broadway AT THE GRAMMYS!!
: )

Owen22
#33LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 7:59pm

qolbinau said: "...her diction never better."

Um...huh?

Updated On: 1/26/18 at 07:59 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#34LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 8:10pm

AMWB said: "I imagine that the last year of Hate and discord in this country perhaps made Patti decide that the negative energy towards ALW just isn’t worth it anymore.
He treated her awfully, and I’m sure she won’t forget that, but it’s good for her soul if she can move on from it.

As for whatshisface’s comments about her being mean to assistants — that’s just not truth. She is harsh to people who aren’t able to do their jobs. Been there, seen it, experienced her generosity and have seen her angry. She is fair and professional and kind and funny, but when it comes to work, she is no-nonsense. Most of her colleagues appreciate that.

So essentially, Patti LuPone is Broadway's version of Bette Davis.

I’m SO excited for Sunday!! It’s pretty cool that Ben Platt and Patti LuPone are the ones chosen to represent Broadway AT THE GRAMMYS!!
: )
"

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#35LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 9:49pm

As bad as I feel for Patti in regards to what she went through with Sunset, ALW simply made a tough business decision - and the right one. Patti was miscast as Norma Desmond and frankly didn’t sing the role that well. Frank Rich panned her in London before she even got to Broadway, and Glenn Close was an Oscar-nominated household name who got raves in L.A. It was a no-brainer to buy LuPone out of her contract.

I understand why she hates him, but yeah, it’s time to get over it.

BTW, Evita is best sung by a soprano, and LuPone is a mezzo. That’s why it was so hard for her - not because ALW is the devil. And let’s be honest: whoever had played Evita would have won the Tony. ALW doesn’t owe her anything - she still owes him.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#36LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 10:11pm

The part of Evita sounds best when it is truly belted through the roof. The energy in the original rock recording proves it - but therein lies the problem. Webber wrote a piece that could be sung by a few people a couple of times in the studio. The role of Evita (as originally written) is a role amost no one can sing 6 times a week. The alterations made for the past revival to both save the voice of the actress and to soften the character show that it just isn't exciting without that. And the film version is absolutly lifeless. Patti gave a career-high (luckily, lately she's been at a career-high as well) and iconic performance. She brought a levity to the role that not many actresses could. She allowed you to laugh with the character and feel for her. Brantley even brought this up in his review for the revival. You can't play the role all ambition and gloom - its an expository piece so we'll all get bored stiff (look at the 2012 revival). I'd be willing to pay a large sum for a potential revival or concert wiht LuPone singing the original score.

As for the comment about Lupne not singing "Sunset" well... that's an asinine comment. Her final performance of the role is the best that score has ever sounded - and all in the glorious original keys!

LuPone's Final "With One Look"

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Theatre Fan3
#37LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 10:36pm

I was lucky enough to see Patti in SUNSET on one of my theatre trips to London and she was awesome!!  On another visit I was able to see Elaine Paige in the role and she was absolutely fantastic!!  She even looked a bit like Gloria Swanson.  Both of them sang circles around Glenn Close.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#38LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 10:52pm

Yeah...not a fan of Patti's rendition of "With One Look" at least in that link provided.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/26/18 at 10:53pm

Anyone who thinks Close sang the role better than Patti needs their head examined.

Updated On: 1/26/18 at 10:53 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#40LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 12:50am

“With One Look” is so much more thrilling in the original key.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

scampsweep
#41LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 6:40am

I wish LuPone would make additions to her memoir. It stops at the end of Gypsy, but she has done much more since then and I’d love to read about those more recent experiences. Maybe one day she will. Who knows?

The Distinctive Baritone
#42LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 9:10am

How did I know I’d have a couple of LuPone worshippers respond nastily to my post. You’d think I had committed blasphemy.

I like Patti LuPone. I just don’t like her on the Sunset Blvd. recording. Glenn Close is not a “better” singer but was better suited to the role, was more famous, and got better reviews. When millions of dollars are at stake, one actor’s feelings aren’t that important (although after Close left, the show still ended deeply in the red).

I’m glad she’s getting over it finally. She’s got a lot to be thankful for as she’s overall been pretty damn lucky in her career.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#43LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 9:43am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "As bad as I feel for Patti in regards to what she went through with Sunset, ALW simply made a tough business decision - and the right one. Patti was miscast as Norma Desmond and frankly didn’t sing the role that well. Frank Rich panned her in London before she even got to Broadway, and Glenn Close was an Oscar-nominated household name who got raves in L.A. It was a no-brainer to buy LuPone out of her contract.

I understand why she hates him, but yeah, it’s time to get over it.

BTW, Evita is best sung by a soprano, and LuPone is a mezzo. That’s why it was so hard for her - not because ALW is the devil. And let’s be honest: whoever had played Evita would have won the Tony. ALW doesn’t owe her anything - she still owes him.
"

The other thing that you’re missing is that he didn’t just “buy her out of her contract”.  He made her life a living hell and tried to get her to quit the show so he wouldn’t have to pay her.  She had to sue him to get what was owed to her. She was also directed to the play the role the way she did.  The original London production was not campy like the version mounted in the US.  Patti also sung the hell out of that score. Yes, she might have been too young but she was still spectacular. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#44LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 12:11pm

BuddyStarr said: "
The other thing that you’re missing is that he didn’t just “buy her out of her contract”. He made her life a living hell and tried to get her to quit the show so he wouldn’t have to pay her. She had to sue him to get what was owed to her. She was also directed to the play the role the way she did. The original London production was not campy like the version mounted in the US. Patti also sung the hell out of that score. Yes, she might have been too young but she was still spectacular."

That's news to me that he tried to get her to quit the show... had never heard that.  I think that when the announcement was made that Close was getting NY there was speculation Patti might because she was (understandably) distraught and embarrassed.  And if that's what you mean by "made her life a living hell" I understand.  

Only a BWW board could take a good story of reconciliation between two giant parties and turn it back into a fight.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#45LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 7:39pm

Patti for President, 2020.

But seriously...  Aside from his continued drive-bys, you'd think that for a guy with 'muscle' in his name that he'd make for a steamier picture.

Just sayin' :)

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#46LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/27/18 at 10:48pm

Over the years I've both read and heard from various people I knew who saw her that Patti was still shaky in the role when Sunset opened, was reviewed and recorded but that she improved tremendously as the run went on.  I only know that I prefer her recording musically but the performances are so different that comparisons seem useless.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#47LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 6:14am

distinctive baritone, idk what you’ve heard but Patti’s recording of Sunset is vocally miles beyond Glenn Close.

as for a soprano singing Evita...eh i can’t really picture it being nearly as thrilling as Patti’s high belting. it’s a hard role because of those ridiculous keys but i think it loses a lot of edge when someone who isn’t a high belter plays the role.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#48LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 8:31am

Sally Durant Plummer said: "Her final performance of the role is the best that score has ever sounded - and all in the glorious original keys!

LuPone's Final "With One Look"
"

This is 100 times better sung and acted than Glenn Close's bleating.

I have goosebumps. This is what Norma should be like. Her notes are sincere, only then the acting feels real.

This is what you call acting through song. Not acting in spite of song.

Updated On: 1/28/18 at 08:31 AM

The Distinctive Baritone
#49LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:30am

I think it’s a matter of personal preference. I listened to the link above of her final With One Look as well as As If We Never Said Goodbye and had the same reaction as I did twenty years ago - nasal, shrill, and too high for her. Just my opinion.

That said, no one should find out they’ve been fired by reading it in the newspaper.

Videos