pixeltracker

Ben Platt at the Grammys- Page 2

Ben Platt at the Grammys

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#25Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 3:31pm

He has a great voice don’t get me wrong, but I hated his phrasing, it felt like he was still playing Evan. Its”there’s a place for us...breath...somewhere.....” and not “There’s a place....breath...forus SOMEWHERE”
You just felt his nervous energy for a song that should be and was likely chosen for its optimism in the face of adversity. If they were adamant about having Platt perform he should of done Something’s Coming or Maria.
If they wanted Somewhere to be sung they should of gone with other CBS family broadway stars like Jeremy Jordan, Patina Miller, or Christopher Jackson (another Grammy winner).

If anything they should of chosen New York, New York, as it would if been on the nose, and should of opened the show with a taped piece bringing in the Nominees at the various locations in the song, and then mixing it with Jay-Z’a Empire state and Billy Joel’sNew York state of mind. They were at Billy Joel’s home venue and didn’t even have him perform. thats an argument dor a different day though.

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 03:31 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 3:40pm

Cfried said: "It seems I'm one of the few that didn't care for his performance. The clipped "...for us" was almost irritating and I felt I was watching Evan Hansen singWest Side. I also did not understand the contemporary arrangement when this was supposed to be a celebration of Leonard Bernstein. Benis a very talented artist, but this was not the right song for him. He's not theleading man-Tony type, so the performance didn't work for me."

Now that you mention that, I CANT NOT NOTICE! Omg. It’s irritating!

bdn, yes yes yes, to everything you said.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#27Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 3:46pm

Cfried said: "It seems I'm one of the few that didn't care for his performance. The clipped "...for us" was almost irritating and I felt I was watching Evan Hansen singWest Side. I also did not understand the contemporary arrangement when this was supposed to be a celebration of Leonard Bernstein. Benis a very talented artist, but this was not the right song for him. He's not theleading man-Tony type, so the performance didn't work for me."

Agreed. I enjoyed the rest of the song but HATED how he kept singing "for us." That sounded exactly like he was still playing Evan Hansen.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 4:27pm

Between this and some other concert performance recently (was it 54 below?) I am genuinely worried that Ben has peaked and will not have much of a career of leading musical theatre roles in the future. I hope I am wrong. His performance in Evan was remarkable. Was.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jarethan
#29Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 4:38pm

Mark my words...he will be Tony if the WSS film gets made.  I think he would be a very good casting.

Nycat63
#30Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 5:16pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Cfried said: "It seems I'm one of the few that didn't care for his performance. The clipped "...for us" was almost irritating and I felt I was watching Evan Hansen singWest Side. I also did not understand the contemporary arrangement when this was supposed to be a celebration of Leonard Bernstein. Benis a very talented artist, but this was not the right song for him. He's not theleading man-Tony type, so the performance didn't work for me."

"

The clipped phrasing literally drove me insane.  And I like Ben but that was god-awful.   I couldn't help but compare that to what Aaron Tveit just did with Maria on NYE during the Bernstein tribute concert - that was so beautiful and gorgeously phrased, and there was no struggle for the notes.  

Call_me_jorge
#31Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:33pm

Tf why didn’t they ask CYNTHIA to do this??? https://youtu.be/HQ32cIGqgdE

edit:

Beyonce: https://youtu.be/QlCiR4I1vnE

Babs and Josh Groban: https://youtu.be/aPgqeVROE_4

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/29/18 at 06:33 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#32Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:35pm

Ben: I just rocked the Grammys. Patti: Hold my Beer...

Darreyl with an L!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#33Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:43pm

Didnt care for it. Most reviewers said the performance was out of place and I agree. Not his fault, but no idea what they were going for. Hated the arrangement.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

OuttaTowner
#34Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:47pm

Nycat63 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Cfried said: "It seems I'm one of the few that didn't care for his performance. The clipped "...for us" was almost irritating and I felt I was watching Evan Hansen singWest Side. I also did not understand the contemporary arrangement when this was supposed to be a celebration of Leonard Bernstein. Benis a very talented artist, but this was not the right song for him. He's not theleading man-Tony type, so the performance didn't work for me."

"

The clipped phrasing literally drove me insane. And I like Ben but that was god-awful. I couldn't help but compare thatto what Aaron Tveit just did with Maria on NYE during the Bernstein tribute concert - that was so beautiful and gorgeously phrased, and there was no struggle for the notes.
"

I thought the very same thing when watching - couldn’t help but compare Platt’s performance to Tveit’s WSS offerings on NYE - I found Ben’s breathy and mannered. Aaron was crystal clear and simply sublime, IMO.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#35Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 6:54pm

qolbinau said: "Between this and some other concert performance recently (was it 54 below?) I am genuinely worried that Ben has peaked and will not have much of a career of leading musical theatre roles in the future. I hope I am wrong. His performance in Evan was remarkable. Was."

Qolbinau, I have the same wonder. Everyone expected Idina to be the next big thing after the Wicked zeitgeist. It never materialized and a pop career eluded her. The RENT kids never got much traction either and today are pretty much relegated to be worshipped by the groupies. Ben may be dealt the same fate. We'll see. Leslie Odom seems to be the most successful by creating a high profile in the standards market. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#36Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 7:14pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Didnt care for it. Most reviewers said the performance was out of place and I agree. Not his fault, but no idea what they were going for. Hated the arrangement."

Really?  Can you point us to those reviews?  I've searched, and can find nothing stating that his performance was "out of place".  

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#37Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 7:16pm

I think Ben will have a fine post Evan Hansen career. I think he’s really going to try and follow the Leslie Odom Jt gameplan in trying his hand at a bunch of different things—music, movies, tv, back to theater eventually. I mean there are plenty of people who did enjoy the performance I guess that’s why art is so cool it all really is subjective I suppose.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#38Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 7:30pm

The clipped phrasing bugged me, but the last half of the performance was great! He did a good job, but the segment truly belonged to Patti.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

ohhiccup 2
#39Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 7:31pm

I think Ben will have a great career. Although I don’t think he is that versatile an actor, he is a really incredible singer and I hope his album does well.

SempreLiberal Profile Photo
SempreLiberal
#40Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 7:48pm

ohhiccup 2 said: "I think Ben will have a great career. Although I don’t think he is that versatile an actor, he is a really incredible singer and I hope his album does well

I think he’s got a reasonable voice (I don’t love it), but I suspect he’s going mainstream with albums that can liberally auto-tune vocals. 

smidge
#41Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 8:10pm

Bettyboy72 said: "qolbinau said: "Between this and some other concert performance recently (was it 54 below?) I am genuinely worried that Ben has peaked and will not have much of a career of leading musical theatre roles in the future. I hope I am wrong. His performance in Evan was remarkable. Was."

Qolbinau, I have the same wonder. Everyone expected Idina to be the next big thing after the Wicked zeitgeist. It never materialized and a pop career eluded her. The RENT kids never got much traction either and today are pretty much relegated to be worshipped by the groupies. Ben may be dealt the same fate. We'll see. Leslie Odom seems to be the most successful by creating a high profile in the standards market.  

??????Still, Idina hasn't done too shabby. A lot of performers would love to have 3 iconic roles like she has had.

Call_me_jorge
#42Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 8:15pm

Jarethan said: "Mark my words...he will be Tony if the WSS film gets made. I think he would be avery good casting."

I mean he was decent singing the song, but he’s totally wrong for Tony... lmao.

wouldnt be shocked if he ends up being cast as Boq in the Wicked Film.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#43Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 8:26pm

I think the "secret" we all are
ignoring is that Platt does
NOT have a great voice.
Hell, his vibrato is wider than
that of the 70-year-old diva
who sang after him!

BUT. He used what voice he
does have brilliantly in DEH,
at least judging by the re-
cording. So good for him!

The clipped words may have
been his way of avoiding the
heavy vibrato. But as for
insisting he "sing the song
the way it was originally
intended," he could hardly
do that; it was intended to
be sung by a light, ethereal
soprano.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#44Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 10:47pm

Ben Platt is a one hit wonder. I’d loved to be proved wrong, but I don’t think that will happen.

He was phenomenal in one hit show...and the first “Pitch  Perfect” movie. 

His performance on last night’s Grammy Awards was American Idol-ish. Vocal gymnastics with nothing underneath. No soul or subtext.

Patti, on the otherhand, blew it out of the park.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#45Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 10:53pm

I love Ben, but riffing like that is saying F*CK YOU to the melody. It's saying, "I can write music better than the composer."

Ugh.

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 10:53 PM

ohhiccup 2
#46Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 11:13pm

I would like to see him prove me wrong acting wise, but everything I’ve seen him in he plays the same awkward/outsider kind of guy. I want to see him play someone totally different and unexpected just not sure if he has it in him

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#47Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 11:15pm

Not impressed with the first half, but I can imagine Tony singing it with some effort. The second half is just atrocious, destroying everything that this song is about.

Call_me_jorge
#48Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 11:19pm

MichelleCraig said: "Ben Platt is a one hit wonder. I’d loved to be proved wrong, but I don’t think that will happen.

He wasphenomenal in one hit show...and the first “Pitch Perfect” movie.

His performance on last night’s Grammy Awards was American Idol-ish. Vocal gymnastics with nothing underneath. No soul or subtext.

Patti, on the otherhand, blew it out of the park.
"

Two if you count his performance in Book of Mormon, which I thought he was great in.

Updated On: 1/29/18 at 11:19 PM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#49Ben Platt at the Grammys
Posted: 1/29/18 at 11:21pm

Cat Guy said: "Really? Can you point us to those reviews? I've searched, and can find nothing stating that his performance was "out of place".

Not sure if this counts as a "review" but Vulture listed it as a low point in the broadcast:

"LOW: Ben Platt performing “Somewhere” from West Side Story.
Sorry, was Babs unavailable?"

Videos