pixeltracker

FAIRYCAKES to close Off-Broadway- Page 2

FAIRYCAKES to close Off-Broadway

JasonC3
#25FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/22/21 at 10:29am

Sorry, I was too obtuse with my Rotten reference. I was keying in on the previous poster's mention of Shakespeare and musicals, not the quality of Something Rotten as a show. Updated On: 10/22/21 at 10:29 AM

jenhum
#26FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/22/21 at 12:52pm

My 13 year old and I saw this on Sunday night, and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The book is nothing remarkable, but it was funny and engaging thanks to the outstanding cast. We did review the plot of Midsummer's Night Dream before we went, and I'm glad we did because I think it may have been a bit confusing to my daughter otherwise. I agree that it seemed a bit tight for the space, between the large costumes and set pieces, there was a lot of stepping over things and stepping on dresses.

I truly enjoyed every single cast member, but Jackie Hoffmanm Julie Halston, and Jason Tam made me laugh the most. I also really enjoyed Chris Meyers and Kuhoo Verma. My daughter acts and so it was really cool to see so much talent in a very intimate setting. 

All in all, I'd say it's definitely worth the price of a ticket to see this talented cast and just enjoy some silly, lighthearted fun.

lightguy06222
#27FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/23/21 at 11:03pm

this was BAD.

it felt like a first draft.

He cant direct, and the writing is CHEESE.  but a stinky cheese.  not a smart sophisticated cheese.

thoroughly disappointed.  

The cast is wonderful and doing their best with bad material on a bad set on a bad stage

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#28FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/24/21 at 11:04am

Saw this last night. Or, more accurately, saw half of it. It was so bad that we fled at intermission. It's certainly not the fault of the very talented cast, who are doing their best to elevate the insipid and inane script. The costumes are also a lot of fun. The decision to do a rhyming play probably wasn't a great idea, but to do it with so many near-rhymes and mangled Yoda-like syntax is fatal. I think I chuckled maybe twice during the first act, which seemed to drag on forever. The quality of the rhymes is on a level with this (not an actual rhyme from the show): "Let's tie him til he's trussed/But then go away we must." I can't imagine that they will be able to fix this.

JasonC3
#29FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/24/21 at 8:48pm

Jesse Green is not a fan.

"Did you ever want to see a fairy-tale mash-up, set amid the magic of nature, offering clever rhyme and delightful song, with a powerful theme to bring it all home? Well, this isn’t that."

Updated On: 10/24/21 at 08:48 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#30FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/25/21 at 12:39am

boy the reviews for this were as expected BRUTAL, who sunk money into this and why?

JasonC3
#31FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/25/21 at 8:31am

Vulture review: "Fairycakes never takes flight."

Updated On: 10/25/21 at 08:31 AM

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#32FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/26/21 at 4:13am

After these reviews, do we think this will actually run through January 2nd as scheduled? Ticket sales look pretty bad the few random dates I checked (including high tourist times like Thanksgiving and Christmas). I have tix to this for its closing performance and wonder if I should start considering alternatives in case it closes prematurely?!?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#33FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/26/21 at 11:27am

As a fan of As Bees in Honey Drown, I looked forward to seeing Beane's Mr. and Mrs. Fitch starring John Lithgow. Set - gorgeous, play - bad. Pretentious, full of nothing. During the post-show talk, Beane explained how he went on a trip to South America and just decided to throw some of that into the show (even though it made no sense). Too cool for school.

BroadwayBen
#34FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 10/26/21 at 2:04pm

I don't disagree with some of the criticism, but I have to say my friends and I laughed a lot during this.    If you're looking for a great gay escape, I wouldn't rule it out.   It's not a great play, but I did have some fun. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#35FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:13am

https://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/reviews/fairycakes-to-end-run-early_92953.html

Douglas Carter Beane's mashup of fairy tales and Shakespeare will play its final performance on November 21.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#36FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:37am

Yikes. That was faaaast.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#37FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:41am

I am really happy I got to see it, it was flawed, and the first act was so so, but then the second act made up for it. But I think it was a very unique show and I'm glad I saw it. The songs and the performers were excellent! Cute show. 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:46am

I have to question the actors that signed up for this? Considering they're mostly veterans, did they not read the script? Or did they just want an quick paycheck?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#39FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:55am

They're actors. They work. This line of questioning is like making fun of someone for working at Chili's. There's lots of reasons people work at Chili's. It would be gross if you made fun of someone for doing that. Don't do that. 

Also, a lot of these folks are friends and are probably having a terrific time. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Sutton Ross
#40FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 12:22pm

Exactly. They wanted to work again, they wanted to see audiences again and for people to have a good time. A couple dozen people did. 

Always sucks when a show closes, this was not a good show, but it's unfortunate nonetheless. 

Updated On: 11/3/21 at 12:22 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 12:50pm

Many of these actors have longstanding professional relationships with Beane, so I'm not surprised he was able to get them onboard even if they had misgivings about the script. A job is a job, and a job with friends is even better. I'm sure there was a ton of laughter in that rehearsal room.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/3/21 at 12:50 PM

JasonC3
#42FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/3/21 at 12:53pm

The cast got me excited, but after reading reactions and reviews I'm not terribly disappointed I'll get a refund for my now canceled December performance.

I hope all the incredible actors involve quickly find other opportunities that will showcase their talents.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#43FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 6:56am

JasonC3 said: "The cast got me excited, but after reading reactions and reviews I'm not terribly disappointed I'll get a refund for my now canceled December performance.

I hope all the incredible actors involve quickly find other opportunities that will showcase their talents.
"

Refund? We got notice of a Today’s Tix voucher l we didn’t see an alternative than buying thru them, and I don’t want a TT voucher.

Edit to add:  Just looked at my tickets again, I had forgotten we got a discount through TT, so I guess we are stuck with the voucher.

any advice?

Edit t

Updated On: 11/4/21 at 06:56 AM

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#44FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 9:33am

I’m shocked this show isn’t going to transfer to Broadway! He’s had several other shows that shouldn’t have transferred, I figured this would be another one.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#45FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 9:58am

unclevictor said: "I’m shocked this show isn’t going to transfer to Broadway! He’s had several other shows that shouldn’t have transferred, I figured this would be another one."

You obviously didn't see it then.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#46FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 10:26am

ClydeBarrow said: "unclevictor said: "I’m shocked this show isn’t going to transfer to Broadway! He’s had several other shows that shouldn’t have transferred, I figured this would be another one."

You obviously didn't see it then.
"

duh I didn’t see it! 

JasonC3
#47FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 10:52am

Kudos for the painless ticket refund, exchange, or donation process.

Got the email yesterday afternoon with the link to the form for submitting my request. A few hours later I received notification my refund had been processed.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#48FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 4:05pm

Jackie Hoffman bemoans the closing: Now she has to help with Thanksgiving dinner

Updated On: 11/4/21 at 04:05 PM

Sutton Ross
#49FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/4/21 at 4:22pm

Ha!

Videos