pixeltracker

FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16- Page 2

FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#25FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:11am

I saw this this past Friday night. It was the ONLY Broadway show with a performance that night (New Year's Eve) and the theater was still only about half full. Sad. Some really beautiful things in this show. I really enjoyed it but can understand it's lack of wide-spread appeal, especially right now. Too bad they don't have time to work out a filming of the show. I think something like that could help this show find its audience over time.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#26FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:55am

It seems like people who have seen the show recently have more positive things to say about it. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 3:50am

I am sad that the show is closing early - it was a little chiller than I was expecting (I think a large part of that for me is the stage/theatre might be too big for the show). However, I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. "Funny Money", "Someone/Flying Over Sunset", and "How?" are among the most entertaining/beautiful/emotional moments I've had in the theatre, and Carmen Cusack's haunting Tony-worthy performance is something I am desperate to have on record as soon as possible. I often lament that we don't have many Peters/Mazzie/Murphy-type people anymore but I think Carmen Cusack actually could be that - her voice is so thickly textured and unique, it's just so hypnotic. Those creepy footsteps in the show still also kind of ring in the distance. 

In addition to feeling very lucky being able to see this very prestigious "New York" show during the middle of a pandemic by a group of artists I highly respect (James Lapine, Tom Kitt, Michael Korie), the show is special for another reason I have been too embarrassed to share until now. When I saw the show for the second time after the wonderful night I had at Company, a man approached me at intermission from across the aisle and asked how I found out about the show as I am much younger than the rest of the audience (I am young compared to the LCT audience but I don't think I am THAT young anymore, a mask helps). I recognised him and his voice immediately, "are you James Lapine?", I asked. He said yes, I said I was one of those Broadway superfan and I am a big fan of Sunday in the Park, Into the Woods, next to normal and Grey Gardens. At this point I was stupidly starstruck and a bit shocked that the person who 'discovered' Bernadette Peters for and wrote Sunday in the Park, which has changed and enhanced my life in the most unbelievable and profound way, is talking to me. 

I said I was enjoying the show for the 2nd time and particularly loved the title song and "Why?" (yes, I actually couldn't even get the title right), he said thank you and he wasn't sure I was enjoying it (I had only slept 4 hours due to terrible jet lag so I probably did appear to be a little low energy, sorry James!). I then spent the entire second act wondering how I could express my deep gratitude for his work and the impact it has had on my life, but I was too afraid to stick around and talk to him after the show.

New York City continues to be a gift that just keeps on giving! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/5/22 at 03:50 AM

SmoothLover
#28FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 5:49am

I asked this on the other thread but do the actors get paid for the entire run or just the performances within the two weeks notice?

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#29FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 10:43am

SmoothLover said: "I asked this on the other thread but do the actors get paid for the entire run or just the performances within the two weeks notice?"

Just the performances. If the production can’t stay open for the entire run, they’re certainly not going to keep paying the actors.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#30FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 11:08am

Cool story! You’ll be telling that one for years to come!

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#31FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 7:07pm

Theater3232 said: "So sad, and also surprising to hear from a nonprofit theater. What is the economics of running these nonprofit shows? I imagine they are all in a similar boat with minimal revenue, but do they "keep it going" with the Government grants and donations they get, even if paid attendance is virtually nil?"

There is big money in not-for-profit. Until 2015 the National Football League was a not-for-profit . The Metropolitan Opera with tickets over $600 is currently a not-for-profit . Todd Haimes , who runs the not-for-profit Roundabout Theater enjoyed a base salary of $568,000 in 2017 in addition to a $300,000 bonus. Yes, there is no profit shown, but salaries can run into the millions.... It all has to do with the way lawyers setup your corporation .

Dan6
#32FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 7:42pm

Having had tickets for this since March 2020, and having followed these boards devotedly since previews, I flew in today and am finally seeing it. Harry is out tonight, but I’m so happy to be seeing Carmen and Tony. Hoping luck holds out for Caroline tomorrow and Assassins Friday!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 7:48pm

I remember when this show was starting that they were talking about  how the design is the most tech advanced? Could anyone expound on that? 

Also how great would Carmen be in Company?

SmoothLover
#34FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:51am

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "SmoothLover said: "I asked this on the other thread but do the actors get paid for the entire run or just the performances within the two weeks notice?"

Just the performances. If the production can’t stay open for the entire run, they’re certainly not going to keep paying the actors.
"

I guess I thought maybe the leads had different contracts since the pay rate for Harry would probably be higher than an ensemble member. And perhaps his contract covered early closures. But I asked the question because I am not a member of Equity. 

jbird5
#35FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/6/22 at 1:27pm

Non-profits don’t have to pay the same salaries as commercial shows.  It’s also why they are limited runs.  

https://www.justjared.com/2015/11/04/keira-knightley-reveals-why-she-took-a-pay-cut-to-do-theater/

I’m sure Harry has other sources of income he can fall back on.  Also, I believe they can file for unemployment.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#36FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 2:53pm

Mike Costa said: "There is big money in not-for-profit. Until 2015 the National Football League was a not-for-profit . The Metropolitan Opera with tickets over $600 is currently a not-for-profit . Todd Haimes , who runs the not-for-profit Roundabout Theater enjoyed a base salary of $568,000 in 2017 in addition to a $300,000 bonus. Yes, there is no profit shown, but salaries can run into the millions.... It all has to do with the way lawyers setup your corporation ."

You can say that again. I work for a private university, and like many private universities across the country, it's classified as non-profit. You would not believe the salaries and bonuses the top-tier administrators earn (our President retired recently and it was disclosed he was one of the top 3 earners of a University President).  Meanwhile, administrative staff and professors get scraps. 

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#37FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 4:46pm

Saw the show on Wednesday night and it was great. Did I understand the "plot"? Not completely, but that cast totally sold it. Carmen Cusack?! Seriously delivered one of the best performances I have ever seen in a musical. She deserves, at the least, a Tony nomination for this. Her performance during the number "Flying Over Sunset" is a masterclass. Maybe it's because I was in the front row, dead center, (and also ate an edible prior,) but I was literally transported.

I personally found the score as a whole underwhelming, but far from bad. There are a few songs that I will be absolutely be streaming. The set was absolutely gorgeous.

I was curious about James Lapine's direction for the actors. I felt the show could've benefited from playing up the comedy that is sprinkled throughout. Not that it wasn't funny, but it certainly fell flat sometimes.

I definitely think this show is worth seeing before they close! 

JasonC3
#38FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 7:32pm

Not for profit is merely a tax status. Profits are plowed into mission-related activities for stakeholders versus dividends and buybacks for stockholders.

Staff salaries, particularly for the CEO and other top executives, are benchmarked against any organizations with comparable size, budget, et al.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#39FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 7:42pm

Wish LCT could find a way to film this as I doubt we'll ever hear from this show again. I can't imagine regional theaters doing, touring, etc.

ashley0139
#40FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:16pm

RippedMan said: "Wish LCT could find a way to film this as I doubt we'll ever hear from this show again. I can't imagine regional theaters doing, touring, etc."

I will be in the city next weekend hopefully seeing Company, and I'm stupidly considering this show again for this reason instead of Assassins or Kimberly Akimbo. I think we'll see these productions of Assassins and Kimberly Akimbo again and I really want to see FOS again. I didn't get to see Tony the first time and I want to see Carmen in this role again so badly. Just feels silly to see this show again rather than something I haven't seen.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#41FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:38pm

I’d swap this for Kimberley Akimbo. They seem to plan to transfer and personally I found FoS to be far superior. The cast is just breathtaking. 

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

ashley0139
#42FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/7/22 at 8:56pm

When I saw the show in December we were sitting next to Tom Kitt's parents and talked to them for a while at intermission (and saw Tom as well), so I feel a bit of a connection to the show, in addition to loving the performances.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

seussical93
#43FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 12:28am

y’all, the cast was on FIRE tonight. Shamelessly my third time, and it keeps getting better and better- the layers keep unfolding. Carmen especially was otherworldly this evening. Am very sad that this isn’t getting filmed, as it’s truly something special and will probably never get as lavish of a production again. see it in its final week if you can !!

Updated On: 1/8/22 at 12:28 AM

SmoothLover
#44FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 8:04am

RippedMan said: "Wish LCT could find a way to film this as I doubt we'll ever hear from this show again. I can't imagine regional theaters doing, touring, etc."

It was filmed earlier in the run.

SmoothLover
#45FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 8:07am

JasonC3 said: "Not for profit is merely a tax status. Profits are plowed into mission-related activities for stakeholders versus dividends and buybacks for stockholders.

Staff salaries, particularly for the CEO and other top executives, are benchmarked against any organizations with comparable size, budget, et al.
"

The original leads in The King and I were paid extremely well. They were partly responsible for the sold out houses.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 9:54am

SmoothLover said: "RippedMan said: "Wish LCT could find a way to film this as I doubt we'll ever hear from this show again. I can't imagine regional theaters doing, touring, etc."

It was filmed earlier in the run.
"

Filmed for the archives or something else?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#47FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 10:53am

Maybe if the theatre passed LSD out to the audience before the show started, the show would still be open? 

VintageSnarker
#48FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/8/22 at 8:01pm

I went early to be sure I'd see it. There was a slight malfunction partway through (I think it was the screen) when Aldous is giving his TV interview but if anything, it injected some levity. All the principals were in. 

I'm still gathering my thoughts but I'm debating whether I want to keep my original ticket with all the snowy weather to come and the continued nightmare of the subway. The show was fine (perhaps because I was prepared after reading all these threads) and it didn't feel as long as it was for almost 3 hours but I don't know if I want to make the trip again for another 3 hours and an evening show. My seat is also in the same section, just a few rows closer. I did look to see if I could switch to the other side for a different view but there aren't tickets available for the same night.

AntV
#49FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/9/22 at 2:40am

It's still almost 3 hours? How long exactly? Debating if I should see it this final week or just pass.

Videos