https://twitter.com/flyingsunsetbwy/status/1478505712015794179?s=21

Updated On: 1/4/22 at 06:19 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 6:26pm

It was always going to end soon, but that sucks. 
Eagerly awaiting the much-anticipated cast album.

Oh look, a bibu!

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#4FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 6:33pm

It seems like I was in the minority but I loved this immensely. Very sad to see it go.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 6:43pm

suicidalmickeymouse said: "It seems like I was in the minority but I loved this immensely. Very sad to see it go."

I really liked it too. So sad it's ending early. 

SoCalDirector
#6FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 6:58pm

I enjoyed watching the show immensely. But I also thought it was one of the most uncommercial shows I had ever seen.  I've heard they plan to do it in a smaller theater so that may have helped it run longer but in reality the visuals of the scenery made up part of the spectacle that was so entertaining.  I thought the whole casted very well. I've always loved Carmen and everything I've seen her do but this time she really was different and amazing.

Miles Robert Mills

Theater3232
#7FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 7:07pm

So sad, and also surprising to hear from a nonprofit theater.  What is the economics of running these nonprofit shows?  I imagine they are all in a similar boat with minimal revenue, but do they "keep it going" with the Government grants and donations they get, even if paid attendance is virtually nil?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#9FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 7:15pm

Hated this show more than anything I saw this season, but even I’m sad it didn’t at least make it to the end of its limited run - and I adore Tony Yazbeck and hope he finds a vehicle for his talents again soon.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ashley0139
#10FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 7:15pm

It was not my favorite show ever, but I did really enjoy it, and it was so great to see a truly original, imaginative, creative show on Broadway. I feel lucky to have gotten to see the show and especially see Carmen, who gives an award worthy performance in this show. I won't be forgetting it any time soon. Sad it doesn't get to have the run it originally planned.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 1/4/22 at 07:15 PM

jiaxing_26
#11FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 7:22pm

Granted the book needs some serious work, I really enjoyed the show and now really want to see it again just for the sake of i

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#12FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 8:01pm

I saw an early preview, and also found the glass half full. Visually stunning, elegantly staged and performed. So glad it was recorded, because I believe the score is a keeper. Lush, haunting, more like Yeston to me, and I mean that a high complement. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 8:06pm

I had a ticket to the first preview back in March 2020 and I'm sad I'll never get to see this show. I was really looking forward to it and love how they use that giant space. Oh well. Look forward to the recording. 

VintageSnarker
#14FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 9:53pm

Theater3232 said: "So sad, and also surprising to hear from a nonprofit theater. What is the economics of running these nonprofit shows? I imagine they are all in a similar boat with minimal revenue, but do they "keep it going" with the Government grants and donations they get, even if paid attendance is virtually nil?"

It must truly be selling horribly. My scheduled ticket is just before the cut off but I'm wondering if I should try to see it this weekend because now I'm nervous it won't even make it to the 16th.

ashley0139
#15FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 9:55pm

Thinking about how they were supposed to have their first preview the day of the shutdown, then waited a year and half for Broadway to come back, and now aren't even getting their full run just makes me sad.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 9:57pm

Someone should tell telecharge to stop selling seats past that new end date.

Updated On: 1/4/22 at 09:57 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 10:13pm

A shame.

When I looked at Telecharge one afternoon last week, there were less than 300 seats sold for that night's show. And the LCT older audience is the most likely to want to stay home.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#18FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 10:38pm

The show opened on the 13 th of December but was it ever reviewed? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#19FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 10:41pm

David10086 said: "The show opened on the 13 th of December but was it ever reviewed?"

Of course - mixed to negative reception overall

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/flying-over-sunset/

Oh look, a bibu!

ijest22
#20FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 10:56pm

I was there tonight, and the closing notice hit just before curtain. I’m glad I saw the first act, but that was all I needed. The theater was probably 2/3s empty. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#21FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 11:10pm

I saw this last week and was pleasantly surprised. It’s such a weird show, but I found it visually and aurally beautiful. The show does find its stride by the end of the first act and into the second, and by that point, I was along for the ride. I hope the design and orchestrations at the very least are remembered come Tony time. It’s sad this won’t get to play out the rest of its run.

broadfan327
#22FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 11:37pm

ijest22 said: "I was there tonight, and the closing notice hit just before curtain. I’m glad I saw the first act, but that was all I needed. The theater was probably 2/3s empty."

This is one of those shows where the second act is the better than the first.  Nothing to go out of your way to see, but if you do decide to go, hang it there, it gets better in the second act.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#23FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/4/22 at 11:48pm

I agree, the second act is better than the first. It’s a shame the book is off-balance. The story should have started with the meeting of the characters.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#24FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:08am

I wonder if they have time to film this for live from Lincoln center/Great Performances.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#25FLYING OVER SUNSET to end run early on January 16
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:11am

I saw this this past Friday night. It was the ONLY Broadway show with a performance that night (New Year's Eve) and the theater was still only about half full. Sad. Some really beautiful things in this show. I really enjoyed it but can understand it's lack of wide-spread appeal, especially right now. Too bad they don't have time to work out a filming of the show. I think something like that could help this show find its audience over time.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Videos