pixeltracker

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread- Page 2

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#25Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/19/23 at 8:18pm

Also saw this in Chicago and was actually blown away. Sean Hayes gives a true tour-de-force here that plays to every single one of his strengths and yet stretches him beyond his comforts in a way that the general public will not see coming.

As for the rest, it is a really lovely, very moving, and easily digestible piece of theatre.

verywellthensigh
#26Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/20/23 at 6:48pm

Those who cannot accept capitalism's role in Broadway should stop going to Broadway and focus on nonprofit theatre (but guess how those donors get their money...) You don't have to LIKE it, but you need to accept it. 

Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#27Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/27/23 at 11:24am

Finally, they've lowered prices. Balcony seats start at $79 for all performances except Saturday nights, and mezzanine starts at $99 for midweek shows.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#28Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:59pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Finally, they've lowered prices. Balcony seats start at $79 for all performances except Saturday nights, and mezzanine starts at $99 for midweek shows."

Still not great, but at least it's going in the right direction 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

OhHiii
#29Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/27/23 at 5:04pm

Ya'll understand that ticket prices and gross potential is (usually) a mathematical calculation of what they 1. need to make to break even and 2. to contribute to a recoupment schedule to then become profitable and not close....right? 

Now, there are quite a few examples that are clear examples of money grabbing, but it's like some of you think productions should just run at a loss and ultimately put people out of work rather than price to sell what one needs to sell in order to cover their business costs.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend many of you start a business. Because overhead is a thing that you have to pay for to keep a business running.

JasonC3
#30Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/27/23 at 6:16pm

Yes, and we also know and have seen many examples, particularly this season, of shows starting off with higher than typical prices and then reducing them (often somewhat significantly) at some point. 

Or shows that start initially with some lower than usual prices (such as Shucked) and/or heavy papering in order to build word of mouth enough to be able to charge more later.

After seeing what happened to Pictures from Home for trying the former pricing strategy with an arguably more starry cast, it doesn't seem unreasonable that people were questioning the higher prices here.

Updated On: 3/27/23 at 06:16 PM

dave1606
#31Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/31/23 at 11:53am

Previews start tonight. Yes, they did slightly lower their prices but it doesn't seem to have helped with sales. Also there is a weird glitch on their website right now where they are showing three shows on certainly days with a matinee a 730 and an 8pm. I'm guessing they may be moving to an earlier curtain? confusing. 

https://goodnightoscar.com/tickets/

Has anyone heard about a rush?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#32Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:35pm

dave1606 said: "Previews start tonight. Yes, they did slightly lower their prices but it doesn't seem to have helped with sales. Also there is a weird glitch on their website right now where they are showing three shows on certainly days with a matinee a 730 and an 8pm. I'm guessing they may be moving to an earlier curtain? confusing.

https://goodnightoscar.com/tickets/

Has anyone heard about a rush?
"

Previews begin April 7. 

Oh look, a bibu!

dave1606
#33Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:48pm

Whoops. I guess I've jumped ahead a whole week! I was convinced it was starting tonight for some reason. 

kwoc91
#34Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/31/23 at 4:48pm

OhHiii said: "Ya'll understand that ticket prices and gross potential is (usually) a mathematical calculation of what they 1. need to make to break even and 2. to contribute to a recoupment schedule to then become profitable and not close....right?

Now, there are quite a few examples that are clear examples of money grabbing, but it's like some of you think productions should just run at a loss and ultimately put people out of work rather than price to sell what one needs to sell in order to cover their business costs.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend many of you start a business. Because overhead is a thing that you have to pay for to keep a business running.
"

If the prices are too high and they play to half empty houses they will also run at a loss. Spare us the patronizing. I know my way around a P&L statement.

My comment was that I'd never spend over $100 to sit in the Belasco balcony. Of course the production is well within their right to set prices as they see fit, but looks like a lot of ticket buyers agree with me. And, as JasonC3 mentioned, we've seen this strategy crash and burn numerous times since Broadway's reopening. I'm still receiving emails to get papered tickets to see Pictures from Home.

Can't generate good word of mouth during previews if no one is seeing it!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#35Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/31/23 at 5:25pm

This is a great show but they need to be realistic about Sean’ star power and calm down a bit with those prices.

JasonC3
#36Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/1/23 at 8:18pm

Unless they are holding seats back, it seems to be selling fairly well ... at least in May. I checked four dates I can attend and orchestra seats were 60-85% sold on any given date.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#37Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:00am

Will Oscar Levant be tickling the ivories on The Jack Paar Show?

The Belasco Theatre audience will find out tomorrow night (April 7), when the new play Good Night, Oscar — by Doug Wright — begins previews. Opening night is April 24, and it will play a limited engagement through August 27. “Will and Grace” star Sean Hayes returns to the stage as Levant; joining him in the principal cast are Emily Bergl, Marchánt Davis, Peter Grosz, Ben Rappaport, Alex Wyse, and John Zdrojeski. Lisa Peterson directs. 

“It’s 1958, and Jack Paar hosts the hottest late-night talk show on television. His favorite guest? Character actor, pianist, and wild card Oscar Levant. Famous for his witty one-liners, Oscar has a favorite: ‘There’s a fine line between genius and insanity; I have erased this line.’ Tonight, Oscar will prove just that when he appears on national TV in an episode that Paar’s audience — and the rest of America — won’t soon forget. Good Night, Oscar explores the nexus of humor and heartbreak, the ever-dwindling distinction between exploitation and entertainment, and the high cost of baring one’s soul for public consumption.”

Who’s heading to the set?

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/7/23 at 12:00 AM

btales
#38Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 7:26am

Back from the dress and it's hands-down the best show of the season in every way. Sean is the front runner for Best Actor and possibly the Drama League performance award. Everything about this show is top notch. Do not miss. 

Theatrelove1987
#39Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 9:43am

Going tonight- Can't wait!

kwoc91
#40Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 10:08am

Telecharge is offering a $40 lottery for this! Drawings at 10am and 3pm one day beforehand.

Sutton Ross
#41Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 11:29am

btales said: "Back from the dress and it's hands-down the best show of the season in every way. Sean is the front runner for Best Actor and possibly the Drama League performance award. Everything about this show is top notch. Do not miss."

Am not surprised. He is SO GOOD in this show, it's astounding. Glad you enjoyed!

Balcony Bill
#42Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 12:34pm

Glad to hear these reports. Saw it in Chicago last April and was blown away by Sean's performance, And I knew he was a trained pianist, but the Rhapsody was spectacular.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#43Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 2:12pm

They do have rush. $35 each. Was just able to stop by the box office at 2pm and grab for tonight. In front row center. They said the stage isn’t too too high.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#44Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/7/23 at 11:35pm

Any first preview thoughts?

Running time is 1 hour 40 minutes, no intermission, according to the show’s website.  

Oh look, a bibu!

Theatrelove1987
#45Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/8/23 at 12:54pm

Attended last night's first preview, and wow, what a show! Sean Hayes is giving a masterclass in acting and it was amazing to watch. The rest of the cast is excellent but you can't take your eyes off of Hayes or stop thinking about Hayes in the moments when he is not on stage. 

There were some first night nerves/flubs of lines, but nothing that won't be smoothed out with time.  My only quibble would be some of the transitions/timing could be tightened up, but again, I think the show will only get stronger in previews. 

I was seated in the back of the Balcony, on the aisle, and was pleasantly surprised that my legs weren't crushed and was fairly comfortable. I hope to see the show again so I can see the actors' expressions up close, because I think that will only add to the experience.

At the stage door, Sean Hayes did not come out but the rest of the cast did.

Overall, a great show, that becomes exceptional with the talent of Sean Hayes.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/8/23 at 2:02pm

Sutton Ross said: "btales said: "Back from the dress and it's hands-down the best show of the season in every way. Sean is the front runner for Best Actor and possibly the Drama League performance award. Everything about this show is top notch. Do not miss."

Am not surprised. He is SO GOOD in this show, it's astounding. Glad you enjoyed!
"

Did you see it in Chicago?

Sutton Ross
#47Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/8/23 at 4:17pm

Why would I comment on a show I've never seen? Who am I, you? Lolz.

Goodnight Oscar

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#48Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/10/23 at 11:41pm

Attended this evening's performance and loved it.

Well written and good performances across the board. Hays shows an amazing side of his acting abilities. Standouts, for me, were Emily Bergl and Alex Wyse. (And Bergl's costume! That coat and dress were gorgeous!)

I at first found the dressing room scene to be going on a bit long until it takes two turns and thrusts you into the next scene with a bit of a gasp and vocal response. (That happened this evening) It gave you the feeling that the roller coaster is now going over the top of that first hill.

If you don't know who Oscar Levant is going into the show, the play fills you in through the dialogue. It doesn't fly by, but it doesn't drag. And there is merch upstairs and on the Orchestra level.

Hayes is giving an outstanding performance that, in my opinion, will get him a Tony nomination and an excellent shot at winning.

I will put this last bit in a spoiler...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Yes, he is playing the piano. And it is astounding to watch him play that piece in character. Especially in the state of mind Oscar is in when he is playing.

This is a must see.

Just give the world Love.

RememberAChorusLine
#49Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 4/11/23 at 11:14am

I also saw the show last night. Very, very good. However, my rush seat was front row center. This was not really a “you’ll have to look up but you’ll be able to see” seat. Maybe off to the side would have been better? I could see the first half but then I was really disappointed that I could not see any of the big scene in the last part of the show due to the staging (no spoilers!).

Despite my struggles, I will say that Sean Hayes was superb. Performances were tight especially for this early. 

I saw a few empty seats in Orchestra so not sure what’s going on there? There’s no intermission otherwise I would have asked to move.

The audience seemed enthusiastic, but I did catch two negative conversations outside about the pacing, saying too slow? Seemed just right to me.  

Videos