pixeltracker

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread

GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR - Reviews Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:32pm

Full principal casting has been announced for the Broadway mounting of Good Night, Oscar, starring Sean Hayes. Written by Doug Wright and directed by Lisa Peterson, performances for the limited engagement are set to run at the Belasco Theatre from April 7-August 27, 2023, with an official April 24 opening.

Joining Hayes in the cast will be Marchánt Davis (Ain't No Mo''), Alex Wyse (Waitress), Sam Bell-Gurwitz (Good Night, Oscar in Chicago), Postell Pringle (A Free Man of Color), and Max Roll (Mrs. Warren's Profession).

Previously announced cast members include Emily Bergl (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) as June Levant; Peter Grosz (Veep) as the network executive Bob Sarnoff; Ben Rappaport (Fiddler on the Roof) as TV host Jack Paar; and John Zdrojeski (Heroes of the Fourth Turning) as George Gershwin.

Updated On: 4/24/23 at 12:32 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:45pm

Of these, I only know Marchánt Davis and Alex Wyse, but they're both very talented and I'm sure everyone else is too! Can't wait for this one!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 12/7/22 at 1:08pm

This makes Marchant Davis the sixth actor this season to appear in two Main Stem productions (this and Ain’t No Mo), alongside 

- Phillipa Soo (ITW/Camelot)
- Krysta Rodriguez (ITW/The Collaboration)
- Carolee Carmello (1776/Bad Cinderella)
- Jordan Dobson (A Beautiful Noise/Bad Cinderella)
- Crystal Lucas-Perry (1776/Ain’t No Mo)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BoringBoredBoard40
#4Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 12/7/22 at 11:05pm

Very disappointed that Tramell Tillman had to drop out, I'm assuming due to Severence going back into production 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#5Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 12/8/22 at 2:49pm

Saw this in Chicago and was blown away by Sean Hayes. Wish I could have seen Alex Wyse but it's definitely an interesting show where Hayes shines.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#6Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/14/23 at 11:25am

Complete casting is set for Good Night, Oscar, a new play by Doug Wright set to arrive on Broadway this spring. The previously announced production, directed by Lisa Peterson, is scheduled to begin performances on April 7 ahead of an official opening night of April 24 at the Belasco Theatre. 

Newly announced cast members are Thomas Michael Hammond as the understudy for Bob Sarnoff/Jack Paar and Stephanie Janssen as the understudy for June Levant. 

dave1606
#7Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/14/23 at 1:51pm

Can someone explain to me why tickets are priced so insanely for this show? Its definitely anticipated by me but I don't understand charging $116 for the balcony???!! That is more than I paid for The Music Man. 

JasonC3
#8Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/14/23 at 3:16pm

Sort of the new norm for pricing?  Come out of the blocks extremely high and then adjust as the market demands?

dave1606
#9Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/14/23 at 4:30pm

The balcony pricing in particular just seems a bit out of control. $150 for front balcony? Havng sat up in the balcony particular in some very partial view seats up there, (Looking at you Twelfth night etc) there is no way I'd pay these prices. Anyway other than the first preview, it doesn't seem to be working thankfully. 

I bought $39 tickets for Camelot a month ago from the box office so I'm glad that not all shows are doing this. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/14/23 at 4:46pm

Pretty normal for a show with a celebrity in it. 

kwoc91
#11Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 11:18am

I would never, ever pay $100+ to sit in the balcony at the Belasco. Is Sean Hayes really THAT big of a draw? I just looked up a random date during the first week of previews at the house is largely unsold. Have they announced a rush/lottery for this show?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 11:29am

kwoc91 said: "I would never, ever pay $100+ to sit in the balcony at the Belasco. Is Sean Hayes really THAT big of a draw? I just looked up a random date during the first week of previews at the house is largely unsold. Have they announced a rush/lottery for this show?"

This is a common practice for shows, especially ones with a star: price high and you can always lower the prices if need be.

Hayes was a huge draw in PROMISES PROMISES in 2010. He was not a significant draw in AN ACT OF GOD (which had also been produced one year before with Jim Parsons, a more of-the-moment star). I think the producers are hoping that the renewed interest in Will & Grace post-revival and the reviews out of Chicago will help this play, but like many things it's not a sure bet. We'll see how it goes.

dave1606
#13Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 3:43pm

It doesn't seem to be paying off right now. 

Prima Facie had $29 seats, even Merrily that just announced tickets said there will be $59 tickets. 

Parade had $59 seats. Oscar Winner Jessica Chastain's A Doll's House had $56 seats. I just can't see how they can justify those prices. The new Laura Linney play also has $59 seats. Sweeny Todd even has $60 rear mezz. 

I'm sorry but I have to say the pricing is just wrong. I guess they are hoping people will look at say for that price I may as well pay a little more and sit mezz or orchestra. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#14Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 3:58pm

The cheap Belasco balcony seats for Network with Bryan Cranston, an arguably bigger star than Sean Hayes, started at $39, so $109-119 for the same seats seems excessive. I get that they have to pay the bills, particularly with only 7 performances a week, but c'mon.

Updated On: 3/15/23 at 03:58 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 4:10pm

It's vital to accept that commercial theatre is directly tied to capitalism and that will never change. Commercial theatre is NOT a public service. It's an investment opportunity. It does not owe anyone cheap tickets. The producers will charge whatever they feel is appropriate, and that price can change at any time (as we saw this morning with PICTURES FROM HOME). (also, several of the shows you cite do not currently have tix available that cheap, but that's beside the point.)

Those who cannot accept capitalism's role in Broadway should stop going to Broadway and focus on nonprofit theatre (but guess how those donors get their money...) You don't have to LIKE it, but you need to accept it.  :)

Updated On: 3/15/23 at 04:10 PM

JSquared2
#16Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 4:11pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "kwoc91 said: "I would never, ever pay $100+ to sit in the balcony at the Belasco. Is Sean Hayes really THAT big of a draw? I just looked up a random date during the first week of previews at the house is largely unsold. Have they announced a rush/lottery for this show?"

This is a common practice for shows, especially ones with a star: price high and you can always lower the prices if need be.

Hayes was a huge draw in PROMISES PROMISES in 2010. He was not a significant draw in AN ACT OF GOD (which had also been produced one year before with Jim Parsons, a more of-the-moment star). I think the producers are hoping that the renewed interest in Will & Grace post-revival and the reviews out of Chicago will help this play, but like many things it's not a sure bet. We'll see how it goes.
"

What is this "renewed interest in Will & Grace post-revival " that you speak of? The re-boot ended 3 years ago and was pretty much a ratings dud.  This show seems to be using the same pricing model as MR SATURDAY NIGHT --- which did not end well -- and Billy Crystal is inarguably a MUCH bigger draw that Sean Hayes. I expect this will pop up on TDF very soon.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 4:16pm

Look, I wouldn't put MY money in this production! We could spend all day hair-splitting about X actor being a bigger star than Y actor; the buyers will decide that, and if they don't want to go, there's nothing the producers or anyone else can do to convince them otherwise. I really don't know how to value Sean Hayes' name nowadays (but I also wouldn't have predicted that the previously-mentioned Brian Cranston would sell as well as he did in his two Bway outings, and I'd have thought Chastain would have sold better in previews than she did, so what do I know?). We'll find out soon enough.

Updated On: 3/15/23 at 04:16 PM

JasonC3
#18Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/15/23 at 4:48pm

If Sean Hayes has buzz right now it's likely less because of the Will and Grace reboot and more because of his Smartless podcast (with Will Arnett and Jason Bateman) which consistently rates as one of the most popular downloads and sold out quite a few shows in their initial limited run of in-person appearances.

Updated On: 3/15/23 at 04:48 PM

ChorusKitty
#19Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/16/23 at 7:03pm

Leaf Coneybear said: "Saw this in Chicago and was blown away by Sean Hayes. Wish I could have seen Alex Wyse but it's definitely an interesting show where Hayes shines."

I was lucky to catch this in Chicago as well. I was there catching the first performance of the "Six" tour and was just randomly chatting with a nice lady (in a doughnut shop of all places) who told me I *had* to see it if I got a chance. She was so passionate about the show, I put my enormous doubts about Sean Hayes aside and was able to get a ticket for two days later.

Quite honestly, I was gobsmacked at how astounding Hayes performance was. The show itself is quite good and veers between dramatic moments and levity without feeling forced.  I only wanted a bit more emotional tension in the denouement, which (at least in Chicago production) I felt didn't showcase how difficult the decision Oscar makes in the show's last minures is to himself personally, especially as we are so often reminded how selfish he is throughout the play. A minor quibble about an otherwise exhilarating night of theater. 

Forgive me if I too sound like the gushing doughnut shop lady, but I do sincerely hope people will give this show an opportunity.  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#20Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/16/23 at 7:39pm

I was talking to someone close to the business side of the production and even they are perplexed at the high price points. 

This has the hubris of those who thought Billy Crystal in MR. SATURDAY NIGHT was going to be a runaway smash and made even the worst of mezzanine seats $199 sans fees.

I guarantee these prices will be coming down A LOT and I can definitely foresee TDF and possibly papering if the going gets that rough. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dusoleilcanwhistle Profile Photo
Dusoleilcanwhistle
#21Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/17/23 at 9:34pm

I caught the show in Chicago as well and while yes, Hayes gives a tour-de-force performance and I'd say he has a good shot at the Leading Actor in a Play Tony, the show itself was pretty uneven. While the cast is pretty good uniformly, the script feels fairly one-note and though there are a few laughs, this is ultimately a tragedy and tonally felt somewhat off throughout the show to me. The direction is certainly an issue too. 

There will likely be a look-in audience and die-hard Hayes fans will definitely go, but I only paid $100 for a prime orchestra seat in Chicago and still felt a bit let down so I can imagine WOM and the reviews beyond the cast won't be stellar.

JasonC3
#22Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/17/23 at 10:50pm

Of course it is possible that the show will have improved since Chicago, using the reviews and subsequent rehearsal time to address some of its shortcomings. 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#23Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/17/23 at 11:09pm

quizking101 said: "I was talking to someone close to the business side of the production and even they are perplexed at the high price points.

This has the hubris of those who thought Billy Crystal in MR. SATURDAY NIGHT was going to be a runaway smash and made even the worst of mezzanine seats $199 sans fees.

I guarantee these prices will be coming down A LOT and I can definitely foresee TDF and possibly papering if the going gets that rough.
"

One of the reasons shows price the way they do is that they know they will be moving X% of inventory through channels like TDF, TodayTix, etc which re are discounted (and in the case of TodayTix, also take a steep commission.) Not saying I agree with the pricing, but there may be some strategy behind it. Have to price to get the gross you need after discounts and commissions. 

VintageSnarker
#24Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/18/23 at 2:02pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's vital to accept that commercial theatre is directly tied to capitalism and that will never change.Commercial theatre is NOT a public service. It's an investment opportunity. It does not owe anyone cheap tickets. The producers will charge whatever they feel is appropriate, and that price can change at any time (as we saw this morning with PICTURES FROM HOME). (also, several of the shows you cite do not currently have tix available that cheap, but that's beside the point.)

Those who cannot accept capitalism's role in Broadway should stop going to Broadway and focus on nonprofit theatre (but guess how those donors get their money...) You don't have to LIKE it, but you need to accept it. :)
"

Convincing people early on that they're priced out of a show does not seem like the right way to do capitalism. You want things to appear aspirational/desirable not inaccessible. Most people still don't know how to hunt for discounts. They don't know the prices are going to drop. You're limiting the chance of advance sales.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#25Full casting announced for GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR
Posted: 3/19/23 at 8:18pm

Also saw this in Chicago and was actually blown away. Sean Hayes gives a true tour-de-force here that plays to every single one of his strengths and yet stretches him beyond his comforts in a way that the general public will not see coming.

As for the rest, it is a really lovely, very moving, and easily digestible piece of theatre.

Videos