Titanic at City Centers

inception Profile Photo
inception
#25Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 8:31am

Ensemble has likely bought tickets already, but I just want to second the earlier comments about avoiding the rear mezz past row G.  I sat there one year for an Alvin Ailey dance performance and it is very far back.  Side mezz seats are usually priced the same, and for Encores they are good seats.

uncageg said: "Ensemble1686998462 said: "I've never been to City Center before so I'm not sure how big it is or anything and I know pictures can be deceiving. Are there any seat areas to avoid? Would you be able to see anything even near the back? Do they have a "stage door" area?"

I have sat in the balcony three times within the first 10 rows and didn't mind it. The last two times I was there I decided to sit in the Mezz. For the National Ballet of Canada I sat in F-128 and for The Light In The Piazza I sat in E-1. Both seats had perfect views.

"

hearthemsing22
#26Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 1:49pm

In regards to stagedoor, I think that's to the left of the entrance? Someone correct me if I'm wrong! IF people come out, I think it's there, but it might also be around the corner, kind of like the Hudson Theater stagedoor 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#27Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:34pm

Chills.

berniesb!tch
#28Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:44pm

Seeing it tonight. Will be my first time seeing the show, or anything at City Center. 

Looking forward to it and will report back!

VintageSnarker
#29Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 4:05pm

Every performance is not sold out. If you're having that issue, the website might just be glitching. I got my ticket for next week. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#30Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 4:34pm

hearthemsing22 said: "In regards to stagedoor, I think that's to the left of the entrance? Someone correct me if I'm wrong! IF people come out, I think it's there, but it might also be around the corner, kind of like the Hudson Theater stagedoor"

The stage door is on W 56th where as the entrance is on W 55th. You can get there from inside the theatre. The vocals were quite good during the dress. The staging is more presentational than the usual Encores productions of late. Many members of the original cast were there. A photo was taken of them but I do not know if it has been published. Maury Yeston was there and I believe the book writer was also in attendance.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#31Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 4:44pm

Seeing it tonight! I’m looking forward to it, as I don’t really know the score at all. I grew up obsessed with the movie and wrote off the musical for some reason, so it’ll be interesting to watch it through the lense of… well, being an adult.

Also, seeing Titanique again in a couple days. What a wild juxtaposition that’ll be.

Updated On: 6/11/24 at 04:44 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#32Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 10:27pm

This was definitely one of the more concert-forward Encores presentations we’ve seen in recent years. It sounds excellent, both played and sung beautifully. The cast is stacked in large and small roles, and it benefits greatly from that.

Overall though, I felt like it was hit or miss. For every moment I thought there was some momentum (Barrett’s Song, the act one finale, Dressed in Your Pyjamas in the Grand Salon), it’s nearly immediately undercut by musical theatre schmaltz and tackiness. Part of this is baked into the material; it’s just hard to make a tragedy like Titanic sing in a way that’s consistently compelling without getting maudlin or didactic. But the other, more annoying part is that it’s chock full of stars, so when - for example - Ida and Isidor Straus say goodbye to each other one last time, the audience explodes into applause for what is a pretty soft moment in an otherwise bombastic evening, just because Judy Kuhn and Chip Zien sang it.

It all just felt a bit jarring from moment to moment, never knowing whether to lean into the gravity of the class dissection and the sinking, or lean into that Good Old-Fashioned Razzle Dazzle, and I don’t think a concert presentation of it makes those cracks look more appealing. They sure do sound great, and that’s really the purpose of Encores, so that should be applauded. Now I need to read some of the original reviews, because I’m fascinated.

Updated On: 6/12/24 at 10:27 PM

berniesb!tch
#33Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 10:40pm

I’m very tired so I’ll write more in the morning but that may be one of my new favorite musicals of all time. A stunning score sung by a magnificent cast. This show was truly epic. I can’t imagine what it’s like fully staged. 

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#34Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 10:57pm

This is a must see! Titanic’s ravishing epic score has never sounded better. Thunderous response from the audience! The whole damn cast from top to bottom is completely stacked. Honestly not a weak link in the company and I lived for Milligan playing Alice Beane, a role Victoria Clark originated. I had also forgotten how funny parts of the book are. I would die to get a recording of this, maybe with a broadway transfer?? Shout out to Chuck Cooper, Alex Joseph Grayson, Ramin Karimloo, Jose Llana, Emilie Kouatachou, Samantha Williams, and AJ Shivley!

nycward
#35Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:04pm

I just found Titanic on TDF for a few nights next week. At $45 it'll be worth it wherever one sits.

pagereynolds
#36Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:20pm

Quite possibly my favorite Encores! showing since Brigadoon or Sunday in the Park. What a stunning evening. Like others said above, not a single flaw in the cast. The orchestra played the score beautifully. I'm not sure I've ever heard a reaction in the theatre like there was for "Still" tonight. Just open weeping. I'm glad I have tickets for next week as well.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#37Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/11/24 at 11:51pm

HugoP
#38Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:26am

Was there tonight.  In the Grand Tier (front mezz), which is a perfect seat for this one (you are level with the musicians and get a great view of the performers on the stage).

It was pretty stunning. The cast and the orchestra do a wonderful job with this very, very powerful score. The whole cast is outstanding, individually and collectively. I'll see it again.

I had seen the original Broadway production-- in previews, drawn by my admiration for Maury Yeston.  I thought the score was good but the production/staging didn't work for me at all, despite some really strong performances.  Years later, I saw the jaw-dropping production at Serenbe (outside of Atlanta), where they staged the show on a lake (audience on shore) and cast members wound up in the actual water. That production was also blessed with a full orchestra, so you could appreciate the score's power even with an overwhelming physical production.

The Encores version centers the singers, the music and the score, and it's just fantastic.  Go...I think there are still tickets available. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#39Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:49am

UWS10023 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "In regards to stagedoor, I think that's to the left of the entrance? Someone correct me if I'm wrong! IF people come out, I think it's there, but it might also be around the corner, kind of like the Hudson Theater stagedoor"

The stage door is on W 56th where as the entrance is on W 55th. You can get there from inside the theatre. The vocals were quite good during the dress. The staging is more presentational than the usual Encores productions of late. Many members of the original cast were there. A photo was taken of them but I do not know if it has been published. Maury Yeston was there and I believe the book writer was also in attendance.

The photo I referred to is on the NY City Center Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/NYCityCenter/

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:52am

UWS10023 said: "I believe the book writer was also in attendance."

The bookwriter has a name (Peter Stone) and he died in 2003.

berniesb!tch
#41Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:33am

berniesb!tch said: "I’m very tired so I’ll write more in the morning but that may be one of my new favorite musicals of all time. A stunning score sung by a magnificent cast. This show was truly epic. I can’t imagine what it’s like fully staged."

Following up on this. Last night was transcendent. Maury Yeaston's score is one of the best I have ever heard and this cast is singing the bejesus out of it. Not a weak link in the bunch. Special shoutouts to Bonnie Milligan and Brandan Uranowitz, but everyone was truly remarkable. This was my first Encores show so I can't speak to the staging compared to others but I was happy with the amount of staging that was done. Definitely not a full production, but it felt much more than a concert. I am going to buy tickets again later today for closing weekend if I can because I must experience this again! Favorite songs were the opening, act 1 finale, and the one where everyone is singing about their dreams in America, but I want to do a proper deep dive of the score.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:08pm

This is easily one of my favorite scores - up there with Sunday - and I’ve never seen a production. So I’m glad you’re enjoying it!!

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#43Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:47pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "UWS10023 said: "I believe the book writer was also in attendance."

The bookwriter has a name (Peter Stone) and he died in 2003.
"

I am so humiliated. Thank you for putting me in my place with your usual sarcasm.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#44Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 12:49pm

You're so welcome! 💐

itsahopi
#45Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 3:08pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "It all just felt a bit jarring from moment to moment, never knowing whether to lean into the gravity of the class dissection and the sinking, or lean into that Good Old-Fashioned Razzle Dazzle, and I don’t think a concert presentation of it makes those cracks look more appealing."

As a fan of this show when I was a kid, from what I recall, Yeston and Stone wanted the audience to be taken in like a passenger, without this looming threat over the entire evening. The film keeps the fate ever present with Rose's narration. The musical doesn't fully lean in until the cart roles across the stage in "Pajamas." There's no "Good Old-Fashioned Razzle Dazzle" once the 1st Class begins to understand what's happening. I also never thought there was anything "Razzle Dazzle-ie" about the show. Unless Casey Nicholaw has come in to choreograph the little duet in "Latest Rag."

MezzA101
#46Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 4:45pm

Review: Titanic Gets a First-Class Concert Revival With a 30-Piece Orchestra at Encores! - TheaterMania.com

https://www.theatermania.com/news/review-titanic-gets-a-first-class-concert-revival-with-a-30-piece-orchestra-at-encores_1742759/

MezzA101
Hey, Zelda! Profile Photo
Hey, Zelda!
#48Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:32pm

MezzA101 said: "A Glorious ‘Titanic,’ Returned From the Depths

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/12/theater/review-titanic-encores-city-center.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zE0.ThUR.n91CgcI5-x_N
"

Unable to make it, so

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

could someone spoil how they stage the collision?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#49Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:24pm

So is the cameo (spoiled by a BWW video) going to be the same person every night? 

Videos