News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

A guy singing Defying Gravity?- Page 2

A guy singing Defying Gravity?

ReNtHeAd04
#25re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:53am

like mostly everyone is saying i agree, if you can sing it, go for it. there's no female inferences in it. good luck!

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#26re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:58am

If it's an audition, you HAVE to sing "Corner Of The Sky" from PIPPIN.

I NEVER hear that at an audition!

(sarcasam)

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#27re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:02pm

A guy a cappella group at NYU (Mass Transit) did the song at a a cappella concert this past year. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty amusing.

There's nothing wrong with a guy singing the song, but why would you? The song is so famous as a girl song it's not likely that it would escape silliness.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:07pm

Actually, I rarely ever heard Corner of the Sky at an audition. Guys always sang Anthem from Chess. Every audition.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#29re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:12pm

No, you should not sing it. Nor should anyone else for that matter. I have no problem with gender switching songs but unfortunately 'Defying Gravity' is painfully overdone by every little Idina wannabe out there across the country just like all those other teeny-bop girls who wear pink and sing 'Popular'. So, unless you have a very unique and effective spin on it, I would recommend avoiding it all together. However, I guess it also depends on what exactly it is you are auditioning for and what you hope to achieve at the audition. Just food for thought.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

singinswinga Profile Photo
singinswinga
#30re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:12pm

I'm a girl, and I can't pull off something like "Defying Gravity!" But I'm still in high school, so whatever. I think if you can, go for it! If it's something as... dynamic? or whatever as Defying Gravity, you really need to make it your b*tch. Y'know what I'm saying? I hope you kick ass at your audition.

I know this groc'ry clerk...

singinswinga Profile Photo
singinswinga
#31re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:14pm

I know this groc'ry clerk...
Updated On: 6/16/05 at 12:14 PM

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#32re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:25pm

I would say not... but like others have said before, not because you're a guy but because the song is so overdone. I can tell you it's painful to be an auditor at an audition and hear the same song over and over again, especially when the cast recordings are still so new and everyone's likely to have heard it rather recently. Even in community theater.

That said, like it's also been said here, if you can sing the living daylights out of it and give it your own spin, and not just mimic Idina, then go for it. Because it's also important to sing a song you are very familiar with at an audition. Try to get an honest opinion about your version of the song from a voice teacher or someone else other than your friends.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#33re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:44pm

I always felt it was best in auditions to be unique and standout, so it's easiest to be remembered. One problem with choosing such a popular song is that: a) you run a GREAT chance that dozens of other people will sing the same song. Unless you are the best of all of them, you might just eliminate yourself. b) even if no one else sings that song, you might be compared to the "signature" (Idina) presentation and pale in comparison. Also, I think it's usually better to fit your audition material to the STYLE of music that's being performed in the show you are auditioning for, because it makes it less of a leap for the casting director to determine if you are going to be able to handle the style.

". . . POP . . ."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#34re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:50pm

Don't do it. It's way overdone right now. I don't have any aversion to a man singing a song created by a female (or vice versa) but it would be the equivalent to a man going into an audition in 1980 and singing "Tomorrow" from ANNIE.

Save "Defying Gravity" for the karaoke bar...

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#35re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:55pm

all theese people saying don' do it, it's over done but you all are forgetting that if he really is amazing at the song then no matter how over done it is he would stand out as that guy who did it well.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

#36re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:03pm

but since it's so popular , you'd better bring something new to it and do it extremely well.

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#37re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:07pm

and have a contrasting back-up ready as well... they might ask you to sing something different.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#38re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:11pm

I was at an audition a few weeks ago, and a boy sang it. I know him, and he is VERY talented, but he sounded awful...I just don't think it is suited for men (with the exception of raul and marty)

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Updated On: 6/16/05 at 02:11 PM

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#39re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:18pm

Go for it! I think you should be able to sing whatever the hell you want. They're jsut songs for goodness sakes. I'm sure you'll blow everyone away with your booming baritone. Break a leg!

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#40re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:28pm

The people at the audition probably couldn't care less about whether or not you 'should' sing the song. Just put it in a good key and sing it well. Really, they're not that concerned with song choice, as long as its right for your voice and right for the style of the show you're auditioning for.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#41re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:37pm

HAh. so untrue, JohnPopa. I walked into an audition one day (for which this song I'm about to mention was VERY appropriate) and they said, "you're not singing 'Anthem' are you?" When I said no, the entire table visibly exhaled.

That said, I imagine DG isn't overdone by men. yet.
But even Raul and Marty, who appear to be the most well-known male singers of this song, don't necessarily audition with it.

I'd personally save it for a fun night at a piano bar or a cabaret act and pick a song from a role which is appropriate for me and the show being auditioned.

Eliza0114
#42re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:37pm

There's nothing in the song that denotes that it is gender specific. If you can pull it off, do it. It's a great song.

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#43re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:52pm

If you can do it, go right ahead. Though I do agree that it is over done...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#44re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:08pm

It's not about the song being gender-specific. At all.

The reasons why he should not do this song are as follows:

1. "Defying Gravity" is ONLY a good song when it's sung well. Most people cannot sing this song well. Most of THOSE people think that they CAN sing the song well.
2. "Defying Gravity" is a song suited for very specific voice types. The singer has to have an intense pop/rock belt, and most people who think that they do don't.
3. "Defying Gravity" is SO ridiculously popular right now that it IS a problem. People can huff all they want, "If you sing it good enough, it shouldn't matter," but it WILL matter. If I were the casting director, I'd take the singer less seriously from the moment I heard the song choice because it is an indicator that he is a "flavor of the month" theatre wannabe (even if he isn't), and it also indicates that he didn't spend any time researching the show to find a great song suited to the part for which he is auditioning. This is all on TOP of the fact that I've heard the song SO much that it's actually starting to irritate me (and I really liked it when I first heard it).
4. "Defying Gravity" is extremely difficult to "masculinize", which, in my opinion, is essential to a good male rendition of the song. And, in my experience, most boys who would deeply desire to do this song for an audition are more flaming than a pelican that just got sucked through a jet engine. If a guy performs it, he has to stylize it so that he isn't mimicking Idina... that's the pitfall that is going to determine whether the audition is laughable or unique.
5. I literally cannot think of any male part in musical theatre for which the song would be appropriate. Maybe Pippin. But, in that case, I can also think of a HUNDRED better songs to perform for the part.

In any case, I'll advise the potential singer to use his better judgement with this one. Don't kid yourself that you can sing this song if you can't. Try recording yourself. And break a leg at the audition regardless of what you choose to perform.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."
Updated On: 6/16/05 at 03:08 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#45re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:10pm

i definitely dont think that theres a problem with a guy singing DG. if you can sing it then go for it. and i agree with whoever said dont try to be idina, but be yourself.

morebroadwayplease Profile Photo
morebroadwayplease
#46re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:24pm

If you can sing Defying Gravity, good luck. I wouldn't imatate any of the stars that sing it...

Well, to tell you the truth, if you want to sing it, you have to be fantastic. Otherwise, you are just going to fit in with the other auditioners who sing Defying Gravity. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Don't copy Idina though, everyone's right, that's what others will try to do.

"I'll bet that you're Kristin Chenoweth MBP!"

Esther2
#47re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 3:38pm

I love you !!!

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#48re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 4:49pm

i actually dreamt last nite that i saw a young teenage boy in drag singing DEFYING GRAVITY. in the dream, i remember thinking it was terrific, considering the boy's age, but the "crowd" gave it a luke warm reception, at best. SO ... i wonder if this was a dream about ME or about YOU? re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?

RIP glebby <3

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#49re: A guy singing Defying Gravity?
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:10pm

Magic 8 Ball -- Your comment about the pelican made be laugh, but its actually something I thought about saying in my initial post about why a man shouldn't do the song at an actual audition.

I don't care how great a singer you are, if I were casting a show and a male came in and sang "Defying Gravity" "Rainbow High" or "As if We Never Said Goodbye" I'd have a hard time not thinking the song selection was a little fey...

That coupled with the fact that most female "belt" songs would probably have to be taken up a third to sound truly dynamic when sung by a man in the lower octive. You'd have to construct completely new music charts for the accompianist, which is usually expensive and/or time consuming.

Cabaret Piece? Karaoke Night? Drunk in the shower?

Yes.

Audition Piece?

No.
Updated On: 6/17/05 at 05:10 PM

Videos