pixeltracker

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....- Page 2

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#25re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:20pm

Touch...it's so funny that you mention "Unexpected Song" since one of my voice students and I were just discussing this today. She's so shrill..plus she just sounds unsure that she's hit the correct note. I know it's a suspension against the accompaniment, and eventually it resolves, but it shouldn't sound WRONG.

Also...I always thought it awkward that there was no "ring" when they say "the phone rings" on the Rent OBC.

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#26re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:20pm

Sorry..double post! Updated On: 3/5/06 at 03:20 PM

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#27re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:25pm

On the NINE OBC, during "Waltz from '9'," theres a definite creeeEEEEAAAKKKK! from an orchestra member's chair.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#28re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 3:31pm

Where does Reid come in early on the Annie recording? I can't hear it.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#29re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 4:16pm

singingwendy... i haven't seen the stage show in a while but I don't believe there is an actual phone ring during the beginning

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#30re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 5:46pm

on the yellow cd of the newer Godspells (I believe it's the 2000 tour cast recording - the one with Natalie Joy Johnson)

during the prologue, the gal singing "God is apprehended by imagination" etc., when they're all singing together during the acapella section, I believe the line is "and he is nothing in any" that her voice cracks hardcore on the word "nothing" and she kinda stops singing for a second.

I always wondered why they didn't use another 'take' of her singing that instead of keeping the one where her voice cracks on the belt and she stops singing becuase of it, lol.

My friend who was ina recent production of godspell with em pointed that out. So schadenfreude of me, but I crack up everytime I hear it.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

timote316
#31re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 5:57pm

End of "Your Eyes" on the OBCR, Adam sings "I have always love you" (as opposed to "loved")

On the Assassins revival CD, you hear a page turn or Alex Gemignani clearing his throat in the very beginning of "Unworthy of Your Love".

The cough on the Sweeney CD must be intentional. It is so blatant and loud that it must be there for a reason.

There are all sorts of interesting flubs on the Les Mis 10th Anniversary concert, but that's to be expected.

On the final ensemble harmony on the Wicked cast recording, one woman is so sharp its ear piercing.

On the new Joseph tour cast recording, there are all sorts of flubs. Amy's vocals are too loud in a few spots (the recording actually cracks), and her voice cracks a bit during "Pharaoh's Story". And, we won't go into Patrick Cassidy's pronunciation of the word "Every".

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#32re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 6:05pm

Revrend Moore on the Footloose recording has a very amusing lisp, but I don't know if that can count as a vocal flub. All I know is it gave everyone in the cast a great deal of pleasure when we did the show in high school.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 6:29pm

One of my favorites is Stanley Prager as Prez losing his voice on "A year's supply of gasoline" in "7 1/2 Cents" on the OBC of The Pajama Game.

This always struck me as curious because on the original LP release he didn't have that problem bit both CD editions use a different take.

Same thing with MISS LIBERTY..many (if not ALL) the takes on the CD are different from the ones heard on the original 78 RPM and LP releases and the singer in "The Most Expensive Statue..." loses his voice in the take herad on the Cd.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 3/5/06 at 06:29 PM

Thesbijean
#34re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 6:30pm

Isn't that why he was let go from the OBC? Cause of his lisp?

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#35re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 7:02pm

I have no idea, but I sure loved listening to "On any Thunday"

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#36re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 7:53pm

"End of "Your Eyes" on the OBCR, Adam sings "I have always love you" (as opposed to "loved") "

I dont know what your listening too but, He sure does say Loved.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#37re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 8:25pm

It's not a vocal flub, however you do hear (very audibly) a page turning during the dance break in The Music and the Mirror on the A CHORUS LINE OBC.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#38re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 8:48pm

There's a brand new recording of JOSEPH?!?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 9:43pm

LOL Stritchie's off-key WE LOVE makes me laugh. I love her.

On the COMPANY revival CD. On Charlotte d'Amboise's solo in YOU COULD DRIVE A PERSON CRAZY, her voice cracks a little on "attractive a man." I love Charlotte, but it always stands out to me.

show2n2 Profile Photo
show2n2
#40re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 9:56pm

Listen Closely to "Yellow Drum" from The Grass Harp.
A detect a cast member coming in early on the 2nd verse.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#41re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 10:10pm

on the Original COMPANY
during HAVE I GOT A GIRL FOR YOU
I think someone sings "Whatta you like?"
twice instead of "Somebody with a smile....."
am I right?

BNN
#42re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 10:26pm

On the Bye Bye Birdie soundtrack someone comes in too early in Normal American Boy. I believe it's on one of the "Fine upstanding..." lines.

Also, in the H2$ revival right before How to Succeed it sounds like someone was shouting something and the recording caught the last little bit of it.

Tick Tock

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#43re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 10:53pm

On the OBC of City of Angels during "You Can Always Count On Me," someone gives a little "WOO!" after "I'm solely to blame, my head gives advice that my heart ignores." It makes me laugh every time.

There's also this really obvious beep on the H2$ revival recording during "Coffee Break" during "But only one chemical substance gets out the lead."

I don't know why they leave the blips on...maybe it's so that we can discuss them like we are now?

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

C is for Company
#44re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 11:29pm

On the Company OBC, listen to the end of "You can drive a person crazy", the last "Bobby is my hobby and I'm giving it up!", lisetn closely and theres a voice so low like they were too far from the mike or something. It sounds like a muffled voice of Stritchie

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#45re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/5/06 at 11:36pm

On the OBC of Man of La Mancha, when Kiley sings "Hear me now, o thou bleak...," a clarinet squeaks. I believe it's right after or on "now."

Ron Holgate was sick during the recording of the 1776 OBCR, which explains his raspy voice and rather strained delivery of the last line, "Forward hooooo!"

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#46re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/6/06 at 1:41am

I know this isn't BWY but I've always wanted to ask people if they've ever heard it. In "Mary Poppins" the movie, during "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" you can hear Julie Andrews at one point slur her words. I don't know if it's her or the way they mixed the song, but you can totally hear it.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#47re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/6/06 at 2:06am

In the revival cast recording of Sweet Charity with Chirstina Applegate, in the song "You could see Yourself" at the end of the song, you can hear Christina tries to go for the high note and hold it, but just as you are about to hear her do it, the mix cuts it off and then you just hear her speak the last word! I thought that was kind of funny!

Drtheatre

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#48re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/6/06 at 2:07am

Ah, Elaine Stritch's "we love you" is my favorite thing on that recording! Haha, I love it!

~Steven

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#49re: Vocal flubs on cast recordings....
Posted: 3/6/06 at 2:24am

Thesbijean -
I thought Stephen Anderson (Reverend Moore on the OBCR) WAS the replacement. Didn't he replace Martin Vidnovic while the show was still out of town?

Updated On: 3/6/06 at 02:24 AM

Videos