Catchest score ever?

blueroses
#25re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 3:49pm

Munk, all of your suggestions were great. My favorite soundtrack of all time is on your list...The Sound of Music.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 3:52pm

*gasp*

blueroses --- You said the "s" word! Quick, change it before you're burned at the stake!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#27re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 3:55pm

Anything by Jerry Herman. I love all of his scores and find that I am humming them all the time!

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#28re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:07pm

South Pacific. After the first time seeing it, I remembered every single song.

blueroses
#29re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:09pm

best12, nope. I am proud of my unrequited adoration for TSOM. I've loved all of the songs since I was a little girl and fell in love with Julie and the movie. I even went to the singalong in NYC a few years ago. I nearly peed when I saw the Will & Grace episode last year!

WalveMalve Profile Photo
WalveMalve
#30re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:14pm

I always thought Les Miz was one of the more catchier shows -- or at least, everyone leaving the theater tends to be humming 'Do You Hear The People Sing' or 'Bring Him Home.'

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#31re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:15pm

He is referring to your use of the word "soundtrack" instead of "cast recording". However, I do believe that you are referring to the movie soundtrack than a cast recording of the show.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 04:15 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#32re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:18pm

La Cage aux Folles and Little Shop of Horrors, in my opinion, have to be right at the top.
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 04:18 PM

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#33re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:29pm

Bye Bye Birdie hasn’t made anyone’s list yet?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#34re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:29pm

blueroses --- I was indeed referring to "soundtrack" instead of cast album or cast recording, but it does seem that you are referring to the Julie Andrews movie soundtrack and not the original Broadway cast recording of TSOM.

Which is fine!

Now, if you said, "I love that Sound of Music soundtrack with Mary Martin," well then... you'd better duck! You know how people can be about the "s" word!

...And The Sound of Music was on my (short) list too.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 04:29 PM

blueroses
#35re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:41pm

Oops! I actually WAS referring to the movie soundtrack and not the cast recording, sowwwy. re: Catchiest score ever? I'm not a Mary Martin fan.

NCGuy, Bye Bye Birdie is another fave, absolutely! I love practically every hummable, wonderful song. Bye Bye Birdie makes me smile.

WalveMalve, I think the Les Miserables recording is gorgeous, and it's a favorite of mine. I weep! But to me personally--although it's beautiful--it's not especially "catchy".

Within the past couple of years? I'd say Hairspray has a terrifically upbeat, catchy score.

bwaylvsong
#36re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:46pm

The only reason Les Miz is catchy is that it repeats itself a million times, so that you can't NOT remember it.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#37re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:50pm

CHICAGO
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
THE PRODUCERS
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
LES MISERABLES
INTO THE WOODS

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 04:50 PM

&OneForMahler
#38re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:55pm

I personally find Into the Woods very catchy, but I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this one (seriously though- "On the Steps of the Palace," "Agony," "I Know Things Now," and "Hello Little Girl" are all very catchy, in my opinion). I also think that most of William Finn's work is pretty catchy.

(edited because of spelling errors)

<--- me & Erin Davie =) omigod, omigod you guys...
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 04:55 PM

thevolleyballer
#39re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:56pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is very catchy, as is The Wedding Singer and Hairspray. Into The Woods and Les Miserables are also very hum-worthy.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#40re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 4:58pm

I agree with a lot of the suggestions here, but I also find Company particularly catchy.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#41re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 7:06pm

SPAMALOT
MAMMA MIA

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#42re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 7:52pm

guys and dolls was the first thing to pop into my head but as much as i hate to say it wicked seems catchy too, my dad who doesn't like musicals was even singing it after the show.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#43re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 8:18pm

No question its Hello Dolly for me. I never leave a performance without humming the various songs for days (weeks if it's a great production)

kate2
#44re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 9:39pm

I have to disagree with Sweet Charity as being one of the catchiest. After I saw the show, I could only remember 2 songs! "Big Spender" and "If They Could See Me Now". But that's just me

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 9:44pm

Cy Coleman writes very catchy music. Maybe you only remember those two songs, because they are the most famous from the show.

But..songs like I'M THE BRAVEST INDIVIDUAL, THE RYTHYM OF LIFE, I'M THE BRASS BAND, SWEET CHARITY, I LOVE TO CRY AT WEDDINGS, are all verrrrry catchy to me.

Considered one of the best scores of Broadway. Coleman is genius. Updated On: 6/29/06 at 09:44 PM

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#46re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 9:45pm

I'm sorry, but I've been singing Sweeney Todd since I've purchased the cd. So that'd be at the top of my list right now.

Also:
Hairspray
Certain songs in Wicked (since they are played on "Movietunes" who can argue re: Catchiest score ever?)
Shaklaka Baby in Bombay Dreams...

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

jam_man
#47re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 10:01pm

Les Miz (If you stay awake!)
Chicago
South Pacific
Guys & Dolls
Any Jerry Herman

And of course Sunday in the Park with George! I mean, who does't leave the theatre humming "Lesson #8?"

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#48re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 10:10pm

The Wedding Singer, not only the 1st song is catchy, listen to the entire CD a few times and you'll see.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#49re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 10:23pm

Anything Goes, no contest for me. Perferably the '62 Off-broadway recording, though any cast recording of this show is catchy.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Videos