Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

SweetQintheLights
#26re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:18pm

Very sorry about your loss.

I'd say Disney or Mamma Mia!

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

gymdudeva
#27re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:45pm

I was thinking that A Chorus Line wouldn't be great for an 11-year-old...but if she really likes the movie, the show could be really thrilling.

The Fantasticks is an *excellent* suggestion...it won't work if she has her heart set on a Big Broadway Show, but it could be a really great change of pace and show her that charms of a smaller, more intimate show. I think it would especially appeal to a young girl of her age...

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#28re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:45pm

definatly mama mia..you can get great seats for cheap..go to broadwaybox.com

look for mama mia and on the bottom of the mama mia page is a code and directions for how to get discounted tickets

good luck

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#29re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:51pm

I am really sorry about your loss. re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

Hairspray is really good. I am going with that. I was thinking Jersey Boys, but there is the part where Frankie Valli's daughter dies, and that wouldn't be too good. But I am rooting for Hairspray, Chicago, Mamma Mia, any Disney show, and possibly even Altar Boyz.

The Best of Times is Now!

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#30re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:55pm

oh wait... Altar Boyz has the whole part with Juan... he finds out that his parents are dead, and even though its kind of funny what happens in the next song that he sings, it's still emotional and might not be good.

The Best of Times is Now!

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#31re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:06pm

I'm really very sorry for your loss.

Hmmm. Chorus Line would be a good show... if she likes Sondheim, she might enjoy Company, but Chorus Line would be a better choice. The Producers is a good show. There's also Spamalot, Beauty and the Beast, and Gray Gardens (that was stupid of me; I haven't seen the show but it seems like there's a strong and tragic mother-daughter thing)... my pick is still ACL, though!

Don't underestimate her intelligence when picking a show, however; I'm 14, and we 'kids' are pretty damned smart at 11 years.

There are a lot of great off-Broadway shows too: Gutenberg! the Musical; Victoria Martin: Math Team Queen (a play, but it seems fun)... sniff around, maybe you can even get tickets to one of those in addition, on the cheap.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 10:06 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#32re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:35pm

She will not be able to appreciate Company.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I would reccomend "Mary Poppins." I think that would be all around fun and a great father/ daughter day.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#33re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:38pm

What's with all the MAMMA MIA suggestions? Hello, isn't that ALL about a mother/daughter relationship?

I like the CHORUS LINE idea, since she likes the movie, seems like the obvious choice.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

husk_charmer
#34re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:44pm

Hmm...avoiding mother/daughter seems to be tough right now...Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Grey Gardens....Chorus Line would be ok, Company she'd miss what little humor is retained in this version. Beauty and the Beast is always a solid choice, so is Mary Poppins. I wouldn't do Curtains...murder in it.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#35re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 10:50pm

I'm also so sorry to hear of your loss. I think it's wonderful that you're taking your daughter to the city--I hope it helps both of you a little.
I don't think anyone has mentioned "Drowsy Chaperone"? I'm surprised--I took my younger son to see it when he was 11 and he loved it. I think it would be a great choice--it's funny, the characters are sweet and silly, and the music is great. Plus, it's at the Marriott Marquis Theater and you could ride up and down in the elevators beforehand!
Otherwise, I would agree about "Chorus Line;" I think she's at a great age to see that one.
I just saw "Company" with my 14-year-old son and I have to say that I don't think my younger son would have been very interested in it. The plot is just too adult, I think--why isn't this 35-year-old man married? Of course, if she is a real theater buff, she might enjoy the staging and the music and wouldn't care about the story, but I also think it's a pretty cynical show which wouldn't leave you both feeling as good as a night at "Drowsy" or "Chorus Line" would.
Have fun!
Karen

Maggie-the-schnoodle

LittleRedAudrey Profile Photo
LittleRedAudrey
#36re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:05pm

I agree with The Drowsy Chaperone. It is light-hearted and sweet, with a happy ending. Hairspray or A Chorus Line would also be good options. Since she likes the movie, it might be fun to see the stage version of Chorus Line. It's a classic!

I hope you have a wonderful trip into the city!

bella cantato
#37re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:06pm

I am so sorry for your loss!!!!!!! re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

In this situation, I would suggest possibly staying away from shows that have a really strong mother-daughter bond... which would be hard, but Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia might not be right, either. Obviously nothing in this world is really going to take away the pain, but I would suggest Spamalot. It's light-hearted fun, with absolutely no depth to it all, and a lot of that "middle school humor" that your daughter may understand. Best wishes, I hope you have fun. No matter what you see though, I am sure that she will appreciate the gesture and the time with you.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

neddyfrank2
#38re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:12pm

What about Spamalot?

#39In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 11:14pm

I'm sorry about your wife.

I suggest Hairspray and Mary Poppins.

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#40In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/30/07 at 8:29am

i vote for spamalot all the way....dunno how easy tickets will be....but my throat hurt from laughing non-stop during that show....even if she's not a monty python fan, she will love it as a theater fan.....i loved a chorus line also

Mattbrain
#41In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/31/07 at 2:55pm

Mary Poppins. And my condolences.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#42In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/31/07 at 3:50pm

I am so sorry for your loss In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE LION KING (If you can get tickets)MARY POPPINS, TARZAN, and MAMMA MIA! SPAMALOT rocks as well.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

BroadwayPanda Profile Photo
BroadwayPanda
#43In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/31/07 at 6:38pm

I am an 11 year old girl and I think Hairspray, Tarzan, and Mamma Mia would be great.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#44In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/31/07 at 6:45pm

"The Apple Tree
Spamalot

I also agree with the suggestions for Disney. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about The Apple Tree. The end of Act I might not be the best for someone that just lost their mom.
Updated On: 1/31/07 at 06:45 PM

Coffered Celing
#45In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:46pm

There's a very good chance that we'll be seeing more than one show, and at the moment my top choices are A Chorus Line and Drowsy Chaperone.

Ooohh, I love The Fantasticks! I forgot about it! Maybe if we postpone our trip we can also see that.

Cladwell Juice2
#46In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 2/3/07 at 6:46pm

I think you're making an EXCELLENT choice. Drowsy and ACL are very good shows.
Updated On: 2/3/07 at 06:46 PM

To The Stage!
#47In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:40pm

Oh, I second Drowsy. It is a really great, original show, and she will most likely enjoy it and have a lot of fun. Either that, ACL, or Mary Poppins.

Does she like the Chicago movie? If she does, that could be another option.

So afraid of getting older

I'm only good at being young

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#48In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 2/3/07 at 7:45pm

"Please take this message to mother from me. Carry it with you across the blue sea. Mother, oh, mother....your Maggie is missing you so"

um...maybe not A Chorus Line either.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#49In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 2/3/07 at 8:58pm

Visiting the theatre is cathartic, and avoiding all mentions of mothers and daughters could be impossible. However, I could see where shows like Grey Gardens, Mamma Mia!, and Hairspray wouldn't be the best of choices because of the strong mother/daughter themes.

Something like Rent or Chorus Line might be shows that she could relate to right now even if they have themes that might hit close to home.

If you do want completely cheerful, I agree that Spamalot is a great deal of fun.

The Apple Tree does have a sad ending to Act 1 (private message me if you would like details), but in general, it is a really fun show with lots of humor. Kristin Chenoweth is amazing in it, and she is generally a hit with most 11 year olds! In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

I wouldn't suggest Spring Awakening as I believe that 11 really is too young for this show. There is nudity and many serious subjects.

Ask her what she would like to see. I bet she will have some opinions. If she would like to see Company, I'd say go for it!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Videos