pixeltracker

Broadway Theaters used in films.- Page 2

Broadway Theaters used in films.

Mattbrain
#25re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 6/28/08 at 8:46am

"I love watching out for theatre stuff. I love how pictures of Times Square try not to include any theatre billboards because they can date a picture so easily. I love how you can pinpoint the dates of filming of 'Enchanted' to within a few weeks because of the billboards that are up at the time. I love trying to work out when a picture of Times Square was taken by whatever theatre things I can spy."

I love doing that too. When I saw Borat, I was like, "Oh, look a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels sign!"

Also, in Author! Author!, I believe you can see the marquee for Nicholas Nickleby in the background.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#26re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 6/28/08 at 11:33am

"There was some Glenn Close movie that kicked The Producers out of the St. James for the day, but I don't recall what. "

The above was the film "Heights" which is based on a play.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

worrell4077
#27re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 6/28/08 at 1:42pm

I don't know which theatre it was, but in Jersey Girl, Ben Affleck's character takes his daughter to see Sweeney in NY. I remember though there was a shot of one of the original billboards for Producers in it though.

I love when films are shot in NY and they shoot in Times Square cause you get an idea of what year the movie was film in some cases. Like in The Pink Panther, there's a shot of Steve Martin standing in Times Square and right behind him is a billboard for Little Shop of Horrors(odd though seeing that he was Orin in the movie). The movie came out in 2006, but I'm guessing it was filmed in early 2004(it was before Fatone took over). There's a Jersey Boys billboard in Spiderman 3.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#28re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 6/28/08 at 2:56pm

I was trying to figure out which theatre Ben Affleck's character took his daughter to see Sweeeny Todd in that god awful movie Jersey Girl. But, Kevin Smith made his Cats hatred quite clear. When the daughter of Affleck's character was asking if Cats is in the bible Affleck quickly replied yes in the satanic bible.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#29re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 6/28/08 at 5:47pm

I'm sure at least 75% of the time Hollywood makes a show with a theater in it, they shoot in a Broadway Theater.

That is the theaters on Broadway Ave. in downtown Los Angeles.

I can't count the number of times The Los Angeles, The Million Dollar, The United Artists, The Orpheum, etc. have subber for Broadway, New York.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#30re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:28am

I love this thread and am bumping it in case anyone has new ones to share.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

broadwaygirl99 Profile Photo
broadwaygirl99
#31re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:36am

Belasco was in Bullets Over Broadway

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#32re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:45am

Only the exterior of the Belasco was used for Bullets Over Broadway. The interiors are the Cort masquerading as the Belasco - you can tell because they show the Cort's fairly distinctive proscenium.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#33re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:45am

The Palace is featured in the original Fame.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#34re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:48am

The Palace is also, of course, in All That Jazz!

Muhlethaler
#35re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:52am

In the original Fame we can see the billboard for Evita. Alan Parker later directed the film version of Evita as well.

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#36re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 2:02am

In Benjiman Button, the theatre is labled the Majestic on the outside but I am not sure which theatre it really is on the inside.

If you watch Cash Cab, you can sometimes see random theatres or Broadway posters in the backround.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#37re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 12:55pm

In The Basketball Diaries, there is a scene where Leo DiCaprio and Juliette Lewis are standing in Times Square near where the TKTS booth is now, right in front of the Palace.

There's an episode of Will&Grace where Grace (and Leo or Will?) go to see Suessical at the Music Box Theater. The exterior of the Music Box is filmed, but the inside lobby (filmed in LA) is clearly not the Music Box.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#38re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:41pm

In one of the final episodes of I Love Lucy, they go to see The Most Happy Fella, which was at the Imperial, and they do make mention of that. They show them in the box office, which itself did kind of look similar to the real one. I can't remember if they show the exterior though.

::bust a move::

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#39re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:46pm

EVERY Woody Allen movie has a bunch of marquees in it... they are veritable archives on the streets many theatres are on from the 70s to now.

BROADWAY DANNY ROSE and MANHATTAN literally have almost everything... probably all the marquees of the shows running at that time.

HUSBANDS & WIVES also has tons of theatre marquees.

And in MATCH POINT, not set in NY of course, they see THE WOMAN IN WHITE at the Palace(?).

P

AwesomeDanny
#40re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 4:51pm

KInd of off topic, but I just realized after reading the title of the thread that the Ugly Betty episode was not filmed at the Gershwin, and reading the thread confirmed the suspicion. Anyway, the one thing that annoyed me during the episode was that Betty and Henry kept texting and leaving the theater during the show. If I was an usher, I'd kick them out.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#41re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/8/09 at 6:28pm

the nederlander was used in Hamlet 2

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#42re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 4:09pm

The Playhouse and Playwrights Horizons are visible at the end of Tootsie. I love it.

byebyebaby12
#43re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 4:40pm

"KInd of off topic, but I just realized after reading the title of the thread that the Ugly Betty episode was not filmed at the Gershwin, and reading the thread confirmed the suspicion."

Ummmm, it was the original LA cast when the show was being filmed in LA......

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#44re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 4:45pm

That cast had also been on Broadway... Megan and Eden (who are in the Ugly Betty episode) were the 5th pairing on Broadway, coming after Idina and Kristin, Idina and JLT, Shoshana and JLT, and Shoshana and Megan. The cast alone wouldn't shouldn't have told you whether or not it was Broadway or not. The theatre, however, is the dead giveaway.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#45re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 5:08pm

"In the original Fame we can see the billboard for Evita."

That reminds me, a bus advertising EVITA was destroyed in SUPERMAN II (1980).

Technically Off-Broadway, but the Douglas Fairbanks Theatre was used at the beginning of DEATH BECOMES HER when Madeline performs "Me" in SONGBIRD (a musicalized version of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH).

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

byebyebaby12
#46re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 5:10pm

"That cast had also been on Broadway... Megan and Eden (who are in the Ugly Betty episode) were the 5th pairing on Broadway, coming after Idina and Kristin, Idina and JLT, Shoshana and JLT, and Shoshana and Megan. The cast alone wouldn't shouldn't have told you whether or not it was Broadway or not. The theatre, however, is the dead giveaway. "

The theatre and the fact that Kristoffer Cusick was Fiyero...

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#47re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 5:14pm

Dang you bandit964! I was going to say that. Hamlet 2, Nederlander.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#48re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 5:24pm

Re: the previous message,

Heh yeah. When the characters were walking past those exterior walls, the old Rent graffiti was very noticeable. Before they even panned up to show the marquee I thought, "Awesome! They're at the Nederlander."

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#49re: Broadway Theaters used in films.
Posted: 8/10/09 at 5:36pm

"The theatre and the fact that Kristoffer Cusick was Fiyero..."

Kristoffer Cusick...who is on stage/screen for literally 5 seconds and whose face you can't even see? That could have been anyone. The only way someone could have been able to tell that was Kristoffer was from seeing him perform and recognizing his voice. Anyone who hadn't seen him in the role would have assumed it to be just some random Fiyero.

Videos