pixeltracker

Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor- Page 2

Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#25re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 1:19pm

Let me preface this by saying I have not seen any of this performers work but had heard her name briefly by a friend who loved Les Mis.

I was waiting on the rush line at Saved! and I told the girl in front of me that she really looked a lot like Caren Lyn Manuel. It's kind of a random person so I asked if she knew her and she said she did.

When it came time to purchase tickets, I heard her say her last name was McGinnis. She ended up sitting in front of me and must have pulled out every form of ID while sitting (checkbook, license). Yeah, it was Megan McGinnis...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#26re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 4:42pm

Tyne Daly, at last year's flea market.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

shiz_student94
#27re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 5:37pm

Hm. I recognized Robyn Hurder at a stage door other than her own back in 2007. She was the sweetest!
Not Broadway, but in February 2007 I recognized Kate Fahrner (WICKED in Chicago. Glinda for some weeks before Annaleigh) on a train platform. Before I knew her and before she knew who I was...she was on her phone but I approached her anyway, and she ended her call and talked with me the whole ride until she reached her destination. She was (and still is!) the sweetest!

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#28re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:16pm

I almost met Cody Green of Grease and Step It Up and Dance outside of LB why stagedooring. He was super nice, talked for a bit. He took a pic and went on with his way. VERY humble.

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#29re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:32pm

Kerry Ellis at (Broadway in) Bryant Park (before she performed, I ran over as soon as I saw her arrive). She was so nice and signed my Wicked fan they were handing out and took a picture and had a small conversation with me!

Goodbye

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#30re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:37pm

I was eating dinner inside of the Europa Cafe by Lincoln Center back in May and Theresa Rebeck walked in. She was so surprised someone recognized her and she actually answered a question about her play Mauritius that I had been wanting to ask her or someone involved with the production about for a long time.

fiesta1
#31re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:38pm

I was in London last fall, and got tickets to a preview of "Parade" at the Donmar. I love Jason Robert Brown's music, but had not need Parade in its NYC mounting. Sure enough when I got to my seats in the balcony, I was seated next to Alfred Uhry and JRB. I recognized Mr. Brown immediately, and used some logic to guess it was Mr. Uhry. Mr. Urhy was very friendly and gratious, and we talked about the NY and London productions of Parade. They were both pleased with the Donmar production. Needless to say, the production was great (and received a well-deserved standing ovation from the normally reticent London crowd).

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#32re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 9:31pm

Before Cry Baby, I met Spencer Liff at Legally Blonde stagedoor. He was very surprised anyone recognized him but he could not have been more sweet.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#33re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/10/08 at 11:16pm

My friend and I were walking up 8th Ave. one Saturday night and saw
Robin De Jesús and an ITH ensemble member (I think it was Rickey Tripp) standing at a corner, chatting. My friend recognized them right away, as we had just seen the show a couple of nights before. We stopped and talked to them, and both of them were extremely pleasant and warm. They asked us where we were from, how we were enjoying our trip to NYC, etc. It was like we were chatting with old friends, and both of them could not have been more gracious. It was before the Tonys, so we got to wish Robin luck, which he really appreciated.

glitterandjazzhands Profile Photo
glitterandjazzhands
#34re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/11/08 at 1:11am

I ran into Paulo Szot on the sidewalk and he was on his phone but he was still really nice as I was of course a spaz with "I love you's" and "Congrats" (after his Tony win). I then ran into him a few weeks later and he remembered me and I apologized for freaking out but he was very gracious and chatted with me. Got an awesome pic too. Matt Morrison was very nice when I stopped him for a pic and a hug. :) I somehow reckognized Kelli O'Hara on the other side of the street but didnt want to risk being run over for a picture. Plus she was on her phone and I might have fainted if I talked to her. She's my HERO. re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor Oh yea and Daniel Evans was really sweet when I ran into him waiting for an elevator at a studio. He took a picture and gave me an autograph. re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#35re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/11/08 at 1:39am

A couple years ago I ran into Michael Cerveris after Rock N Roll in London. After a few moments of trying to figure out if it was really him (Sweeney had only closed a week or so prior), I told him how much I enjoyed Sweeney and his performance. He was extremely gracious and we chatted for a few minutes about various things.

DefyGravity777
#36re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:39am

I can add to this thread again. Last night I went to the Creative Seeds benefit and all the Broadway people that were there were very nice. Especially Julie Reiber and Lindsay K. Northen.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#37re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:17am

Back when I was working at Barnes & Noble (just outside the city), I rang up Roger Bart in the music department. He was on Desperate Housewives at the time (is he still? I haven't seen that show in forever), so I think he was surprised to be recognized from something other than TV. His face lit up when I told him I'd seen him as Snoopy. It was really cute.

(Once I also rang up Elvis Costello. That time, I was WAY too chicken to say anything to him.)

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#38re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:37pm

Liz Larsen (Starmites, The Most Happy Fella), when she toured my (Broadway) basement.

Vinnie Pastore (Chicago, The Sopranos, Trump Apprentis) when he also stayed in my (Broadway ) basement.

Heather McRae, in her dressing room after Falsettos (it wasn't near the stage door)

ALL the celebrities I've met at the annual flea market/auction were also extremely kind!

Friendofethelm
#39re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/13/08 at 10:26pm

Several years ago, I was walking my dog on the corner of 23rd and Seventh when the backseat window of a car waiting for the light to turn green opened. There was Valerie Harper, starring in TALE OF THE ALLERGIST'S WIFE at the time, yelling out the window: "You have the cutest dog I've ever seen"! The light turned green and off she went.

Now, THAT'S nice!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#40re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/14/08 at 12:13am

Matt Cavenaugh came to a show I was ushering, and couldn't have been nicer, especially since I sat him in the wrong seat. Definitely one of the nicest people.

I love all the Broadway people at the shows I work for. They could not be nicer. I've met a few sour apples, but other than that, everyone is so sweet. I passed one of the stars of a show I work for (who has a Tony) backstage the other day, and she asked how I was, and told ME to have a good show.

And I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Kristin Bell, who is the most down to earth star I have ever spoken with.

Brian07663NJ
#41re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:48am

Rita and Chita!

I went to see Rita Moreno perform Cabaret at the Algonquin Hotel's Oak Room. After the performance she thanked everyone leaving. I held back for the end to give her flowers I brought and she asked me if I could wait a minute. When she returned she asked if we could sit in the lobby and have drink. I was so excited because I did want to ask her to sign my West Side Story LP. She was thrilled to see the record - signed the outside jacket, opened to see her photo inside - signed next to her photo, etc. Then we sat for a little while to talk.

I met Chita outside the stage door to Kiss of the Spiderwoman prior to the show. When I saw her walking approaching with dry cleaning in her hands someone from the theater ran down the street, stopped her to talk and took the dray cleaning. I thought - oh no...I wonder if she is going to wisk past me. The final 10 feet she walked towards me with open arms to hug me and she said in my ear as she kissed me..."Now you can tell everyone you were kissed by the Spiderwoman!"

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#42re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/14/08 at 9:42am

I think that one of my personal favorite stories has to be this one. I saw a performance of Rent with Tim Hower as Roger. After the performance he was chatting with a few fans at the stage door for a long while. All the other actors had come and gone at this point. The small group of maybe five or so people including myself eventually just drifted off to the point that it was just me and Hower talking. We both started to walk and talk together. Lo and behold we ended up in the subway together without really planning it. It just sort of happened. We talked together until my station. Fun memory.

Also, sort of Rent related I saw Hower in Rent and I was in SRO. There was a woman standing in the back holding a little girl. During intermission the girl ran away from her mother. I found the girl and it was clear that she was scared because there was this crowd and she felt like she lost her mother (they were about 20 feet apart but still). I brought the girl back to a very worried Ruthie Henshall and asked her if she lost someone very important. She gave her daughter a hug and then gave me a hug. She asked where I was sitting I told her I was ten feet from her right (because I was in standing room) and she moved closer to me and we were pretty much watching act two together. She was whispering things to me here and there and it was like watching the show with someone rather then on my own. It made the performance cooler when that someone was Ruthie Henshall.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#43re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/14/08 at 2:02pm

Chita is in a league of her own. Love, love, love her!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Eagleman
#44re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:11pm

Got a chance to fly Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson a few years ago. --although they are not technically broadway people.

U-L-T-R-A-C-L-A-S-S-Y and two of the nicest human beings I've ever met under ANY circumstances.

Surprisingly, and I don't know why it should be otherwise,
but Warren Beatty and Annette Benning were also incredibly
charming. She is absolutely spellbinding. No wonder Warren fell hard.

Updated On: 8/15/08 at 11:11 PM

AshaLee1627
#45re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:13am

Was at the Syracuse airport a few months ago, flying to JFK. Without really paying attention, I was joking around with the guy in front of me about the slow security line...the guy finally turned around and it was Taye Diggs. I got pulled into extra security right after that, but we also ended up at the same gate/on the same flight. Didn't really get the chance to have a long conversation, but he was very nice and seemed very down to earth.

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#46re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/15/08 at 2:45am

winston89,

It's Tim HOWAR, not Hower. re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor

jagfkb
#47re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/15/08 at 7:47am

Ok, this is LONG!

Right during the Broadway strike, I had been walking down the street popposite of the Northern side of the Marriot in Times Square, when i bumped into Lisa Lambert, Troy Britton Johnson (Sorry if that's wrong), Joanne Worley, and her dog. They were all very nice, and remembered me everytime IU came back to the show up and til the closing night.

I also met Edward Hibbert walking down a street in New york and he was extremly pleasent and nice.

Finally, I ran into the entire prinicple cast of Grease after seeing Drowsy right after the strike. I said hello to max Crumm as he walked out of the theatre with his boyfriend, and had a full conversation with the rest of the cast outside of the Drowsy stagedoor.

iluvtheatertrash
#48re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/15/08 at 9:44am

Max Crumm's gay? Who knew?

Anyhow, Tonya Pinkins. Hands down. I'd always wanted to meet her, as CAROLINE, OR CHANGE literally changed my life. (I was going to abandon theater as I left for college, but seeing that show forced me to realize the truth and change my mind.) So I was seeing SHEBA at the Biltmore and she was in the lounge at intermission alone so I very politely, and guiltily, said hello. She could not have been any kinder.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#49re: Nicest Broadway Person You've Met Somewhere besides Stagedoor
Posted: 8/15/08 at 9:50am

I was under the impression that Max Crumm is straight. Not that it matters or that it is any of my business. But, I can't count the number of interviews I have read where he talks about liking the fact that he met someone like Laura Bell Bundy because she is hot. And, when they were first cast there was an article about them in The Times that spoke about how Osnes's life is different from Crumms. How Osnes is more of a bible reader and crumm has things like Maxim and all those magazines that have pictures of women in bathing suits scattered around his apartment.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Videos