pixeltracker

Is Amy Spanger any good?- Page 2

Is Amy Spanger any good?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#25is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:16pm

Lizzy, thanks so much! I've watched the video three times already but I need more!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

SporkGoddess
#26is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:20pm

Yeah, maybe you're right. I've had this one for a while, anyway. *goes to change*

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#27is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:23pm

Back to Amy and ROA-the other video is great also and shows the whole cast-Here I Go Again~

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#28is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:24pm

I'm not fond of Amy Spanger's voice either. Toward the end of Wedding Singer, she started screaming through her song and would routinely crack or sound very strained. Her "Always True To You" is great, though. She should stick to lower stuff.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#29is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:50pm

well, if you like the lower stuff her character sings a lot of Pat Benetar and Joan Jett so it should serve your craving.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#30is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 10:50pm

Yeah, I seem to like Amy Spanger in everything from tick tick boom to Reefer Madness (where she really is quite funny). That being said, her "Always True To You" is such a great listen. She injects it with such life and the way she holds that final "way" is pretty incredible.

broadwaybaby086
#31is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:20pm

Wow, I didn't realize that the reading I went to a few years ago with Nicolette Hart, James Snyder, and Hunter Foster was Rock of Ages. I'd totally forgotten. Man, I really enjoyed it! And am super excited to see it now; can't wait!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Valjeanjolras Profile Photo
Valjeanjolras
#32is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:22pm

IS AMY SPANGER ANY GOOD? ARE YOU JOKING?

Amy Spanger is one of the best things broadway has to offer. hands down.

kissmekateshindle Profile Photo
kissmekateshindle
#33is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:24pm

WHAT?!! Yes. Who doesn't like a husky belt? Amy is a terrific actress and a wonderful singer. She is also a great dinner date.

Valjeanjolras Profile Photo
Valjeanjolras
#34is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:25pm

Haha, you're so funny Lewis!

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#35is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 12:24am

one of the "best" things Broadway has to offer??

I wouldn't use "best" ... that's pushing it.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#36is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:01am

I've got to say I don't really like or dislike Amy Spanger's voice. She's perfectly serviceable to me--always brings the goods--but I do have a surprising number of songs featuring her on my mp3 player. I think she'll be great in the role.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#37is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:32am

I don't love her on the recording of "tick tick boom." But I feel like she's someone that you have to witness live because she blew my mind in Wedding Singer! So, yeah I'd say she's great with the right kind of material. She has wonderful comedic timing and sings 80's stuff really well. I'm sure she'll be fantastic.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#38is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 10:48am

She has such enthusiasm when I've seen her live that just engages me completely. And I love her rendition of "Always True To You." I listened to many recordings of that song and hers is by far the best. As someone else said, her comedic timing is gold. But different strokes for different folks.

I'm pretty happy to see her name attached to Rock of Ages. I was in NYC just after it closed off-Broadway, so I am going to have to make another trip there to see it once it opens on Broadway. Because, really...80s music? I am so there (and may even drag my mom!).

Updated On: 3/6/09 at 10:48 AM

LadyDramaturg2
#39is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 12:50pm

I saw Amy in Wedding Singer about a dozen times over the course of the run, and must say that she was very consistent -- it seemed to me the sound of a voice executing "healthy" belt, which doesn't wear down the cords, relatively speaking.

"Forward?" Forward placement is one of the hallmarks of the "blend," -- but surely you don't mean "Nasal" when you say forward, do you? I didn't experience her live singing as nasal at all, and her other performances (as noted here on this thread) are not nasal either. She is a skilled character singer.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned what a Kick-Ass Dancer she is?

She deserves all the success that she gets, and I agree with yous guys who think that she's one of Broadway's best.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#40is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:14pm

She's certainly one of Broadway's best musical comedy actresses.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#41is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:21pm

And why hasn't anyone mentioned what a Kick-Ass Dancer she is?

That she is, for sure. Once of the first times I saw her was as Roxie in Chicago.

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#42is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 1:33pm

I think she's wonderful in Reefer Madness. I so wish I could make it to the East Coast to see Rock of Ages.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#43is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 2:20pm

""Forward?" Forward placement is one of the hallmarks of the "blend," -- but surely you don't mean "Nasal" when you say forward, do you? I didn't experience her live singing as nasal at all, and her other performances (as noted here on this thread) are not nasal either. She is a skilled character singer. " -- LadyDramturg

Forward Placement is different than "nasal" technique, though ridiculous Forward Placement makes you sound "nasal" (as is the case with Ms. Spanger) for much of the belt.

Here's a wonderful piece about the "history" of Forward Placement and its place in vocal technique: http://www.vocalwebsites.com/neilhowlett/articles/forwardplacementmyth.php

Regardless, I'm not saying it's good OR bad. It all depends on what you prefer. I personally enjoy her voice. I just think she could pull back a little, and get a darker tone.

Her placement is making her tone very bright which, in turn, can affect her belting range. It hasn't yet but it's only a matter of time... although I have noticed throughout the years (I used to be a huge Spanger fan) that her healthy belting is becoming a bit more forced and strained.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#44is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/6/09 at 2:32pm

There wasn't a weak link in the off broadway cast. The strong cast and band is what made this such a great show. Now that Amy's part of it I can't see how the show could fail.

I'm very excited to see the broadway version!

SINGASIMPLESONG Profile Photo
SINGASIMPLESONG
#45is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/7/09 at 7:32am

AMY SPANGER IS THE BOMB. She was made for this role. Rock of Ages is KICKASS and will surprise the hell outta everybody...

snarkywannabedreamer
#46is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/7/09 at 7:39am

Sing, you clearly work with the show. what do you do over there?

SINGASIMPLESONG Profile Photo
SINGASIMPLESONG
#47is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/7/09 at 7:52am

I am a fly that buzzes around the balcony of the Brooks-Atkinson Theater. Go ahead, swat at me.

ROCK OF AGES is an awesome show. Amy Spanger is an amazing performer.

That's all, Snark. No agenda. Except to say everyone had better to get some tickets before they're all gone. Previews start St. Patrick's Day. Opens for real April 7th. Bring it.

But alas, this thread is about Amy Spanger's goodness. It's funny the question was even asked. She's incredible.

snarkywannabedreamer
#48is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/7/09 at 8:00am

not swatting. just curious. good job with the show!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#49is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/7/09 at 8:06am

ALL gone? Please. Even Billy Elliot isn't playing to sold out houses...I doubt this will.

I'm not saying it isn't going to do WELL....but they are not going to be solidly sold out....at least not this early before they even open!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos