pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 23

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#550Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:10pm

Look, they need a “name” for this show somewhere in it. My dream was Stokes for Herbie as well and then celeb cast Louise and get Barbra Streisand as Cratchit so she works for 5 minutes and can go home and it keeps the show open for a year. But of course that won’t happen so they’ll need that “name”’ somewhere else. Bobby Canavale as Herbie?

Jordan Catalano
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#552Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 1:37am

the rumors of "they want other stars!" do not gel with the fact that the ad campaign is being set up to be

AUDRA
GYPSY

Anyone of equal or greater box office value to Audra has every right to demand - and receive - equal billing/compensation. A Giamatti or Buscemi type sells some tickets if advertised prominently enough. A Cannavale type does not.

But also, it's f&#king Herbie and Louise. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I think there's a ceiling to who you can get for those roles. It's not exactly King Lear. They're nice supporting roles in service of one great role.

Penna2
#553Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 1:47am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "She hasn't been directed in that video! It doesn't thrill me either, but she's going to have 7 weeks of rehearsal, plus 4 weeks of previews. It's not representative of what her performance on stage will be like.

It's like when people judged Patti's acting choices in GYPSYat Ravinia, which had a few days of rehearsal and was directed by Lonny Price.
"

Thanks for being honest. Everyone actually agrees with my comment but don't want to say so. Her voice is wonderful, but it is what it is, and I can't see her adapting it to this score. Certain moments in this audio are truly jarring when the operatic soprano breaks through. JMO. As for Patti, I saw a video of her performance and felt it was over-acted, much prefer Buckley and Staunton.

Penna2
#554Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 1:52am

Novel casting idea for Herbie - Will Swenson. 

Also, was doing some research on Rose, Gypsy and June (full sisters, btw, not half-sisters as what seems to be the direction in this show). Found this on Wiki.

Lee rented a 10-room apartment on West End Avenue in Manhattan for Rose, who opened a boardinghouse for women there. On one occasion in the 1930s, Rose shot and killed a woman who was either a guest at the boardinghouse or a guest on the farm in Highland Mills in Orange County, New York, that Rose owned. A historical website cites varying reports of which place was the scene of the crime.[23] According to Gypsy's son Erik Lee Preminger, who is the author of several books, the murder victim was Mother Rose's female lover, who had allegedly made a pass at Gypsy. The violent incident was investigated and reportedly explained away as a suicide. Mother Rose was not prosecuted.[24] Mother Rose's biographer strongly rejects the possibility that this woman, Genevieve Augustine, was Rose's lover, and doubts Rose's complicity in her death in light of Augustine's previous suicide attempts.[25] Rose Thompson Hovick died in 1954 of colon cancer.

Now that would be a show!

BTW Erik Lee is still alive. Wonder what he thinks about this production.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#555Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:28am

Her voice is my number 1 concern, but if I listen to clips from George C Wolfe's musicals (e.g. CAROLINE, or CHANGE; SHUFFLE ALONG; THE WILD PARTY) he seems to always churn out very nuanced and thoughtful vocal performances. He knows what a musical is and how to direct a musical. I don't believe he would have agreed to it if he couldn't think he could do the same thing for Audra. 

I suspect that he will sit with her bar-by-bar and tune every song until it's perfect. Or at least, as perfect as they can get it. I think they can, but if they can't. Well. YOU EITHER GOT IT OR YOU AINT. And we can be the judge!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BdwayLife
#556Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 7:00am

Tickets are available for purchase until the end of June 2025.  I infer that Audra is currently contracted until this date, at minimum. I ask, because I can make the journey down in January or April (preferably). Thoughts? 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#557Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 7:37am

They don’t need to, but they absolutely can get names to be Louise and Herby. No, they may not be as great of roles as Rose is, but they also are pretty much guaranteed to be nominated for Tonys if they do well. Whether they’ve kept their social relevance or not, a Tony Award still means something. And especially if they get an up-and-coming actress to play Louise, that’s reason enough to do it.

Marketing can be changed to feature Audra’s name first above the title, and then slightly smaller under hers, the two additional stars. It’s being marketed as AUDRA GYPSY now because that’s all they have to advertise and she’s the star. Expect that to change as more is announced.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#558Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 7:56am

No Herbie or Louise has ever been above the title. Even with star names in this revival, I’d be shocked to see them above the title. I do think they would heavily promote their involvement though. 

Updated On: 6/4/24 at 07:56 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#559Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 8:37am

If they cast someone like Paul Giamatti or Keke Palmer, they will be above the title. If. Being above the title is negotiable between agents/managers and producers. It doesn’t matter what the precedent is.

This is all hypothetical anyway until they announce the cast. If they’re not celebrities, they’ll be below the title; if they are, precedent doesn’t apply.

Jordan Catalano
#560Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 5:15pm

Giamatti just announced to be doing a TV series of Eli Roth’s “Hostel”. No filming dates confirmed but that might mean a no-go for this?

Article

TicketBoy
#561Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 9:17pm

I've heard they're looking at actors younger than Giamatti. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#562Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 9:42pm

For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

inception Profile Photo
inception
#563Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 9:59pm

Just finished watching the Great Performances R&H 80th concert from last Friday.  Hardly seems a coincidence that two episodes in the last month so prominently featured Audra McDonald.  Too bad this last episode got stuffed with so many pledge breaks.  What I came away with is that she would make an excellent Mother Superior in Sound of Music.

This R&H concert was filmed last December.   I'm guessing Aaron Tveit appeared as he was available at that time.  But could he have also already have been in talks then for something beyond his engagement with Sweeney Todd?  Herbie hardly calls for a great voice, but he would definitely make for a more dashing leading man.

Edit: But if that's what they were looking for, they could just cast Will Swenson which would make more sense.

Updated On: 6/4/24 at 09:59 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#564Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/4/24 at 10:29pm

Audra played Mother Superior in The Sound of Music Live in 2013. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#565Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 1:55am

I was in the audience crying so hard when Audra sung "Climb Every Mountain' at the recent R&H Concert WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER FOR GYPSY???????

I will be trashy and also say [jekyll & hyde]I NEED TO KNOW[/jekyll & hyde] WHO IS LOUISE AND HERBIE? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

OhHiii
#566Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 7:30am

As dismissive as folks love to be on this board, they are in fact looking for star names for Louise and Herbie (and have at least one practically signed on the dotted line). Anyone with critical thinking skills would understand that what they announced the show with just Audra billing will not be what the full campaign looks like….just like any other show that announces at any time in any year. As with any production of Gypsy, OBVIOUSLY Rose gets top billing and anyone interested in these roles would understand that. And there are other ways to bill stars that give them plenty of real estate. 

hearthemsing22
#567Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 8:21am

Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

!! I hope that means we get a full cast announcement soon, but it's more likely to be mid-summer, right?

fosterfan2
#568Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:33am

ljay889 said: "Audra played Mother Superior in The Sound of Music Live in 2013.

And she was the only good part of that show,along with Laura Benanti.Jmho.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#569Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:39am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "But also, it's f&#king Herbie and Louise. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I think there's a ceiling to who you can get for those roles. It's not exactly King Lear. They're nice supporting roles in service of onegreatrole."

This is true BUT they are also very consistently nominated for Tonys (and sometimes winning) roles. Could be attractive to a slightly bigger star than you normally get in those roles. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#570Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:57am

Remarkably, the only actors playing Herbie and Louise to win Tonys were Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#571Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 11:26am

hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

!! I hope that means we get a full cast announcement soon, but it's more likely to be mid-summer, right?
"

August or September seems likely for a full-cast announcement, though of course select principals could be announced prior if they're set. Rehearsals begin at the end of September.

"Offer out" doesn't mean much. Let's say, hypothetically, you offer {X Actor} the role of Herbie. After that, one of the following scenarios will happen:

(1) his agents say no immediately and you move on to the next person;

(2) the agents consider the offer, think it might be good, talk to the client, and take weeks to tell you that sorry he doesn't want to do this;

(3) the agents consider the offer, talk to the client, and take four weeks to tell you that actually he DOES want to do this, but now the real negotiation begins, and if it falls apart mid-negotiation you've just wasted 4-8 weeks trying to get {X Actor} and now you have to go back to square one, and you can't offer the part to anyone else while an offer is out to a different actor;

(4) by some miracle, the agent thinks it's a great idea, gets the offer to the client, the client says yes, and terms get hammered out in the short span of 2-3 weeks.

Plus if this is an offer-only situation, there'd probably be a customary meeting between the actor and director and Audra to make sure they vibe, and possible even a "work session" to hear someone sing or read (but not officially audition), or other matters of courtship.

Updated On: 6/5/24 at 11:26 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#572Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 11:27am

The Lupone production is so seared into my memory. The acting and the vocals were really next level. I'm so curious to see how this version compares. Also because that one was more of a concert staging and this will be more fleshed out. I love the promo video going around and if that's the vibe, I'm very excited for this! I hope Audra gets unhinged. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#573Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:39pm

I watched a bootleg of the LuPone production recently again and it really was magical - people claim that LuPone just screamed the whole time but it really wasn't true. She went through the full range of emotions - and her "Some People" in particular was ecstatic. The chemistry she had with Boyd Gaines was insane. The scene when they were both down on their hands and knees was so funny.

Her vocals were obviously so impressive and fit like a glove, and the interpretation of the role was so LuPone. For example, in "Rose's Turn" instead of an interpretation such as Bernadette's who really was trying to convince us "she got it" - LuPone was making fun of the whole thing because the idea that she had to prove herself was humiliating. 

I wonder if the reason why the LuPone production worked so well among other reasons is because the material was a little close to the personalities of the artists. LuPone is known for being difficult, rude, outspoken - and of course her voice really suited the role. Arthur Laurents was known for being difficult, rude, outspoken - and of course he directed and wrote the material.

My opinion of the Bernadette production changes so much because every recording I've seen of it is so different - the bootleg of that early preview is very different to what's in the Lincoln archive and cast recording/opening night, and very different to the final performance (Bernadette really really shines here and I think it's why Arthur Laurents says Bernadette's Rose took its place but 'far too late' in his book - see my signature).

This production haunts me and I think the tone is actually more intense/darker than the LuPone production, but I don't think it's necessarily always a good thing and it does feel like Bernadette is working very hard to sell herself in the role both speaking and singing voice. Her "Some People" is not ecstatic it's intense. Arthur Laurents found much more shade in Patti's performance in my opinion, but watching Bernadette's eyes squirm all of the place in fear during "Rose's Turn" "wellllll, someone tell me when is it my turn" as if she knows the boat has finally sailed away devastates me. 

For anyone that hasn't heard, listen to Bernadette's final 'Rose's Turn' here. It's really thrilling and there is so much nuance throughout the journey. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmxsXmSU1I

hearthemsing22
#574Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:56pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

"

August or September seems likely for a full-cast announcement, though of course select principals could be announced prior if they're set. Rehearsals begin at the end of September.

"Offer out" doesn't mean much. Let's say, hypothetically, you offer {X Actor}the role of Herbie. After that, one of the following scenarios will happen:

(1) his agents say no immediately and you move on to the next person;

(2) the agents consider the offer, think it might be good, talk to the client, and take weeks to tell you that sorry he doesn't want to do this;

(3)the agents consider the offer, talk to the client, and take four weeks to tell you that actually he DOES want to do this, but now the real negotiation begins, and if it falls apart mid-negotiation you've just wasted 4-8 weeks trying to get {X Actor} and now you have to go back to square one, and you can't offer the part to anyone else while an offer is out to a different actor;

(4) by some miracle, the agent thinks it's a great idea, gets the offer to the client, the client says yes, and terms get hammered out in the short span of 2-3 weeks.

Plus if this is an offer-only situation, there'd probably be acustomary meetingbetween the actor and director and Audra to make sure they vibe, and possible evena "work session" to hear someone sing or read (but not officially audition), or other matters of courtship.
"

Thank you for breaking that down! It makes so much sense. 

Videos