pixeltracker

Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?- Page 3

Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#50re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:16pm

The trouble with Bowie's music for a musial would be that his lyrical style is built around non sequiturs and stream of consciousness musings... hard to fit into ANY situation.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#51re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:16pm

The trouble with Bowie's music for a musial would be that his lyrical style is built around non sequiturs and stream of consciousness musings... hard to fit into ANY situation.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#52re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 12:58am

I'm talking out my ass here, but I'd love to see:

Impossible Princess - the Kylie Minogue musical.

Base the book on Taming of the Shrew (they did the Shakespeare thing with All Shook Up), add water, Kylie songs, and viola! Jukebox.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#53re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 1:51am

I would like to see a Billy Joel musical that is not a dance production and where the characters sing his music.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

joanntom
#54re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 2:14am

The gogos!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#55re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 2:35am

For me... Cyndi Lauper, Cher and the Indigo Girls. I know the third is being worked on.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

stuckinoz
#56re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 2:41am

as cringe-worthy as it would be, for some odd reason i can see a spice girls musical working.

lesmizsaigon Profile Photo
lesmizsaigon
#57re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 3:02am

I totally agree with a Celine Dion musical...I always thought "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" was so Broadway, specially those opening chords.

How about a Barbra Streis--oh no wait...nevermind.

STEVIE WONDER!
or
MARIAH CAREY!

Is there a Barry Manilow jukebox musical?

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#58re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 5:03am

Amy Winehouse's songs all seem to advance a story or heighten an emotion very well.

I've been working out how one would work in my head.

Though I do think that she needs at least one more good album before you can seriously consider her, as 2 albums and a bunch of B-sides does not a good jukebox musical make.

That made sense in my head before I typed it. LOL!

Unfortunately, even with her "rejuvenation" in the Bahamas somewhere, I think that she is too tragically a mess to complete a good third album.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#59re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 6:10am

choitoy, well if that show Glee has showed us anything it's that Winehouse's stuff is surprisingly musical.

Personally not a fan of the usual jukebox musical, though I do love the idea of genre extending to Crazy for You and 42nd Street. I suppose of all the ideas the suggestion I like the most is Savage Garden. Their music is pretty damn epic and can even tell a story ("To The Moon And Back"). Plus they already proved they can write great love ballads ("Truly, Madly, Deeply"). That being said, I'd rather they or the likes of Regina Spektor CREATE musicals. Their works are rather good, but not quite worthy of being the sole basis of a theatrical score. But the talent there (especially with Spektor) is so immense that I think creating a musical is well within their abilities. I mean despite what many think about Spring Awakening, who ever thought that the guy behind "Barely Breathing" would create musical theater?

hotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
#60re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 7:30am

There is a Barry Manilow jukebox musical, 'Can't Smile Without You'. The same producer, Bill Kenwright, is currently working on a show based on the life and music of Neil Sedaka.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#61re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 7:46am

This may be an unpopular choice, but...

I'd actually be interested to see a show created by Lady GaGa and her 'Haus'.

Not a musical, and not with her famous tunes, but rather a conceptual futuristic/electro/glam/pop/rock extravaganza with elements of burlesque.

The closest thing I can link it to would be something like 'Love' (The Beatles/Cirque Du Soleil show)...but without freaky clowns.

It would obviously have to wait till she's more established and has grown as an artist, but she definitely is very conceptual and is about the theatrical performance.

It would be so off the wall and it would probably only work in Vegas, but I kind of crave something along those lines...even if it wasn't by her.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#62re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 7:49am

No one deserves a jukebox musical.

Urban
#63re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 8:58am

Coming from completely left field...

I often thought the music of "Scorpians" (the 70s/80s hard rock German band) would work quiet well into a storyline for a jukebox musical.

And while not a jukebox musical per se... I wait for the day Trent Reznor writes one. That guy can write anything :)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#64re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 9:23am

Cyndi Lauper

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#65re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 9:25am

Arthur Freed, Celine Dion and Meat Loaf.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Greatwhiteway3
#66re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 9:33am

U2

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#67re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 9:36am

[i]David Bowie's music would also lend itself VERY well to a jukebox musical. [/i]

Agreed. Actually, last night...before I saw this thread...I was saying the same thing to my partner. We were listening to the David Bowie playlist on my iPod during dinner and I said that I'd love it if David Bowie wrote a musical or if there were at least a jukebox musical of his work.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#68re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 9:41am

I know Bowie had started adapting 1984 to a musical, but I believe the Orwell estate nixed the idea. The songs he already wrote went onto his Diamond Dogs album.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#69re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:13am

Frank Sinatra? I know he did alot of covers for songs, but there are other ones that could work nicely.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#70re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:49am

Trent Reznor IS writing a musical- he's had Fight Club in the works for four years or so now.

U2 already wrote A Clockwork Orange the musical, and are now working on Spiderman.

The Indigo Girls have a jukebox musical- Everyman. It premiered somewhere in Pennsylvania, and the rights for a tour are still being negotiated as of last year.

Frank Sinatra has a bio-musical, "My Way: The Sinatra Story."

Ariella Profile Photo
Ariella
#71re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 10:52am

Not Queensryche.

Someone should tell Pascal.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#72re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 11:01am

Technically not a jukebox show- Mindcrime I and II was a rock opera from the beginning. The story's built in.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#73re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 11:08am

Nobody does.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#74re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/7/09 at 11:19am

Yes, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album

Videos