pixeltracker

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?- Page 3

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#50re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:16pm

Forgive me; the comparative amount of posts ljay made counting down to its demise must have overwhelmed any initial positive reactions. It'll take awhile to compile a list of all those links.

You can always count on someone like orangeskittles to judge a production (Night Music) without seeing it!

You've obviously failed as a stalker, because I did.

ACL, maybe not $125, but the Kennedy Center ain't that cheap.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 12/2/09 at 01:16 PM

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#51re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:18pm

Maybe if they lowered their ticket price to something more reasonable, more people might think about dropping some cash on something that was already on Broadway less than 10 years ago (it lcosed in January 2000).

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#52re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:22pm

"Is this at all necessary?"

Yes. Although unpleasant, massofmen, like the vulture, many fungi, and most shellfish, provides an essential role in the ecosystem.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#53re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:32pm

I'm going to show how naive I am and ask then why it's not available on TDF?
It's too bad they can't do a theater version of bringing Heather Locklear in...they could ask the producers of Chicago to stunt cast for 2 months, then bring the real talent back after it establishes a following. Just kidding, please don't throw anything at me.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#54re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:34pm

Excited to get to see this next week. Its always sad when an adult sophisticated Broadway musical can't find an audience.

massofmen
#55re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:34pm

shellfish? really? that's just a bad analogy. A vulture is also a bad one as it feeds of dead things, not things that are about to be dead.
Suffice it to say, I predict a shows closing and people yell and scream and tell me that I am a bad person.
Why is that any different than pronouncing a shows long-running appeal? You are the ones that take it so personally.

Its a matter of fact and logic. Anyone with half a bran would realize that they aren't selling enough tix and making enough money to be able to make it through the slow months. And they cannot have enough of an advance sale to have a treasure trove of useless american dollars to keep it afloat.
Has nothing to do with the artistry of the show, people in it, or people producing it.

If you all would just stop taking things personally we might be able to have adult conversations not predicated on how you "feel" about them.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#56re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:37pm

I hope this isn't true for a bunch of reasons. Starting with the fact that I have tickets for January 5th.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#57re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:48pm

massofmen - I agree. I loved the production, but come on people...this revival just isn't going to have a long life. Sad, but most likely true. It deserves better.

But, please...let's keep things like Memphis open...ugh.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#58re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:48pm

Maybe Whoopi can push a few tickets. She called the show "brilliant" on "The View" today.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#59re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:57pm

YAY! Another available theatre for FIRST WIVES!

I'm Red-Day!

P

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#60re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:58pm

...fo chaynge?

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#61re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:02pm

While I would love for First Wives to go into any Broadway theatre so I can see it...I don't believe this is a "Yay" situation haha

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#62re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:10pm

Some people don't post about every single thing they see. re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#63re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:40pm

YAY! Another available theatre for FIRST WIVES!

I'm Red-Day!

P

Sistas gonna be doing it for themselves!

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#64re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:43pm

I do NOT work for the Ragtime Revival, but I do know people who do. I am not involved in professional theater in any way except as an audience member.
I am a fan of the show but honestly am not optimistic that the show will make it past January 3rd. Nevertheless, reports of its closing, while they may ultimately prove to be correct- are at this point speculation- in some cases mean-spirited speculation, at that.

Whoopi talked up the show today on the View. Presumably the people seeing the show and giving it rousing ovations are talking to their friends. The show could build an audience. Possibly. Not likely...but the next 2 weeks will answer the question.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#65re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:45pm

That sucks. I plan to catch this on my next NY trip next year.

Basely Tearful Profile Photo
Basely Tearful
#66re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 2:56pm

Several thoughts:

This show cost 8 million to put up?

I can't imagine having a cast and orchestra that size is cheap.

I was going to buy tickets for end of January. I'll hold off until the producers make an official statement.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#67re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 3:05pm

This would be a very stupid move on the Producers part in my opinion. The Holiday season will increase sales and therefore increase word of mouth and eventually it will find it's way. Now the grosses are already increasing.

massofmen
#68re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 3:09pm

i don't see your logical correlation between increased sales and increased word of mouth being an absolute positive thing.
If sales are increased doesn't that also bode for bad word of mouth as well?
You cannot expect everyone to like a musical just because they go and see it.
That's a sophomoric assumption.
All shows grosses are increasing because there are more people in the city. It's the shows who can stay above the water when the people aren't here. Ragtime, based on precedence, doesn't seem to be that kind of show.
They also have barely if not made operating costs once since opening and lest you forget once more there is a massive economic recession out there. If you aren't at 80% or more now you might as well just pack it in. Because when Jan-March hits you will never be close to making cost.
It's economics.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#69re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 3:38pm

Guhhh..looks like there is no hope for next APRIL then.

On the bright side, perhaps some of the potential Ragtime audience can keep Night Music going until I can see it (yes, FOR MEEEE).

It's strange for what seems like a strong revival season, it will become much less interesting by the Tony Awards. (Ragtime and Finian's rainbow probably closed).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#70re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 3:45pm

This show cost 8 million to put up?

I can't imagine having a cast and orchestra that size is cheap.

The $8 million figure is the production cost. Actor and musician salaries (and any other regular payment that continues to be paid after opening night) are part of the operation costs.

I'm guessing the weekly nut is MUCH higher, and that's why the producers are having a hard time paying off such a low investment.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#71re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 3:50pm

I hope it doesn't close on 1/3. It's always sad when a show closes and actors, crew, musicians, theatre personnel and box office star are out of work.

And, it's a ripple effect, as well. All of the cabs, restaurants and bars that won't get that business from theatregoers - either before or after the show.

Hope it's not true.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#72re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 4:02pm

"i don't see your logical correlation between increased sales and increased word of mouth being an absolute positive thing.
If sales are increased doesn't that also bode for bad word of mouth as well?
You cannot expect everyone to like a musical just because they go and see it.
That's a sophomoric assumption."

Sure not everyone will like it but judging from the reviews from the critics, reviews on here, and people talking in the theater about the show most of the word of mouth will be good. You are trying way too hard to prove me wrong. But generally the more people see a show, the more people talk about the show, and more people gain interest and see the show.

Basely Tearful Profile Photo
Basely Tearful
#73re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 4:04pm

They aren't closing until after the holidays. January and February are the hardest months to get through. If their sales were that pitiful on Thanksgiving week (I hear the Friday matinee was their least attended show that week), I can only imagine how hard it'll be to break even this Winter. It's wise to cut their loses and close up shop. Shows don't just stay open for 10 message board fangirls.

#74re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 4:11pm

Everything closes around this time of year. It is depressing.

Videos