pixeltracker

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?- Page 3

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?

JacquelineHester Profile Photo
JacquelineHester
#50is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:43pm

Would be wonderful news if true is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 12:43 PM

Schuyler
#51is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:54pm

THEN WHAT IS PGENRE TALKING ABOUT. DOES HE THINK THIS IS A FUNNY JOKE? PEOPLE WORK AT THIS THEATER. PEOPLE THINK THEY MAY BE EMPLOYED SOON BUT LOOKS LIKE PGENRE THINKS THIS IS FUNNY. THE NEIL SIMON COULD BE EMPTY UNTIL SEPT. MANY PEOPLE OUT OF WORK. PGENRE THINKS IT IS FUNNY TO F*** WITH THEM.

Schuyler
#52is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:54pm

THEN WHAT IS PGENRE TALKING ABOUT. DOES HE THINK THIS IS A FUNNY JOKE? PEOPLE WORK AT THIS THEATER. PEOPLE THINK THEY MAY BE EMPLOYED SOON BUT LOOKS LIKE PGENRE THINKS THIS IS FUNNY. THE NEIL SIMON COULD BE EMPTY UNTIL SEPT. MANY PEOPLE OUT OF WORK. PGENRE THINKS IT IS FUNNY TO F*** WITH THEM.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#53is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:59pm

Take a pill, Schulyer. Other posters have stated that they have seen this rumor being discussed on other forums. It's not like P just sat down and decided to make it up.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#54is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:20pm

"It would be the best thing Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever done for me personally (and probably for theatre as a whole, lol)."

Aside from, I don't know, getting thousands of people interested in musical theatre that may not have in the past two decades. No, THIS is the best thing he's ever done.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Ed_Mottershead
#55is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:54pm

I don't know where this rumor started but, considering the level of so many of the performances, I would be very happy to see it happen. I'm not depending on it, but hope springs eternal. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that staying open longer may enhance its chances for Tony consideration in several categories (Best Musical Revival, leading musical actress, leading musical actor, supporting actress and actor). Whether it would win in any of those categories is another issue, but it might inspire some interest in seeing the show. Just an old musical queen speaking here.

BroadwayEd

husk_charmer
#56is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:55pm

Ed-
Oh, I'd say it's very likely to be nominated for the Revival Tony. The options are:
Promises, Promises
Ragtime
A Little Night Music
Finian's Rainbow
La Cage aux Folles
Bye, Bye Birdie

Four nominations, six shows. I don't see Birdie getting the nom, and most likely (granted the reviews and sales could alter this), neither will Promises, Promises.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 01:55 PM

lovesclassics
#57is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:04pm

husk_charmer,

You're forgetting La Cage Aux Folles (and the unlikely Bye Bye Birdie)

Edit: hah, beat me to it! Updated On: 1/8/10 at 02:04 PM

husk_charmer
#58is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:16pm

Yea, WBAF pointed it out, so I fixed it.

Honestly, I'm unsure on that category, it's all gonna depend on the reviews and such for that fourth slot.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:19pm

I really don't see them nominating two closed shows...

It will probably end up

A Little Night Music
La Cage Aux Folles
Promises, Promises
Finian's Rainbow (or Ragtime)

Finian could get that fourth slot because it received better reviews than Ragtime.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#60is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 2:30pm

So let's assume for a second that this actually happens, the show transfers, and gets nominated for the Best Revival Tony and other awards. Then what happens if the show builds on the box office and has a successful summer based on the Tony performance and any potential awards. Would it then have to close regardless in time for Love Never Dies to start previews in early November or would they take on the expense to transfer the show again?

This sounds like a futile exercise. Updated On: 1/8/10 at 02:30 PM

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#61is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:03pm

I don't think that those people who are gainfully employed for those 8-9 months would call that futile.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#62is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:09pm

That's not my point.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#63is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:11pm

Finian could get that fourth slot because it received better reviews than Ragtime.

It also got better reviews than A Little Night Music.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#64is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:24pm

Aside from, I don't know, getting thousands of people interested in musical theatre that may not have in the past two decades. No, THIS is the best thing he's ever done.

I am SO glad you are able to pick up on sarcasm... oh wait.. there it is again. Darn.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#65is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 6:16pm

one cast member on tuesday did mention the belasco...but when is that theatre supposed to be finished with renovations? i made a point to walk past and look it doesnt seem anywhere near finished.

I'll take the wind and soar.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#66is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 6:22pm

"It also got better reviews than A Little Night Music."

And it got better reviews than Bye Bye Birdie. It will probably end up the best reviewed revival of the season. Your point? It's no secret that the committee rather nominate shows that are currently running opposed to closed shows.

Updated On: 1/8/10 at 06:22 PM

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#67is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 2:14am

I spoke with Jim Norton this evening after the performance. He said they were having a bit of a "champagne thing" backstage because Finian's is going to be around a little longer than they thought, just not at the St. James. But he said his lips are sealed. Then I said, "so, at the Neil Simon?" He goes, "well you already know... but my lips are sealed."

So take that for what it's worth.
Updated On: 1/10/10 at 02:14 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#68is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 2:28am

hmmmm

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#69is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 4:05am

boy, things around here are turning on a dime

First THIS is rumored, then shut down. Then the rumor goes to the same thing for Ragtime, as the loadout trucks were cancelled. Then a cast member says NO, we're closing. And now, the rumor is back to Finians.

Nuts.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chiuptown
#70is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 7:56am

TheatreFan4 your first page post is awesome.

MarkK Profile Photo
MarkK
#71is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 8:52am

I have a friend who knows someone in the ensemble. She told me, the cast was told last night ( on stage) its very likely ( 80%) FR will be re-opening in March at the Neil Simon.
Updated On: 1/10/10 at 08:52 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#72is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 9:09am

Hopefully, the transfer to the Neil Simon does happen. Maybe I'll get a chance to see Cheyenne in June for my summer vacay. I'm in awe of people in the theatre community, to work in a profession where there are really no guarantees of steady employment. They must have nerves of steel to be in theatre work. (Clapping hands to them!) from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#73is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 9:50am

kudos to the cast of Finian's if this is indeed true. But I'm still confused; wouldn't it of been cheaper to keep Ragtime open at the Neil Simon instead of moving Finian's(or another show)??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#74is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 12:28pm

^That makes no sense. Both shows have different producers.

Videos