pixeltracker

How Is Max von Essen Doing As "Che" During Ricky's Vacation-Absence?- Page 3

How Is Max von Essen Doing As "Che" During Ricky's Vacation-Absence?

emlodik Profile Photo
emlodik
#50How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 6:15am

WHAT? How can you not understand "wudyagunnagetinme?" What's there not to get?!

"But your despicable class is dead! Look who they are calling for now!"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#51How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 6:36am

I found this interview that Max did with Simply Showbiz. It gives his views about taking on the role of "Che" during Ricky's absence. As a matter of act, he had to take on the role with an hour's notice, very recently. Wow! from RC in Austin, Texas
Max As Che

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#52How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 9:09am

He is amazing. I really loved his portrayal. His voice is more of a Broadway sound, which I prefer for the role. He sure moved beautifully on that stage and really acted the role very well.

I prefer him to Ricky Martin. There I've said it.

He's incredible.

JillianSch Profile Photo
JillianSch
#53How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 9:21am

Saw Max last night and he was PHENOMENAL. Beautiful voice, wonderful acting, can't wait to see what's next for him.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#54How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:42am

...Blatant xenophobia disguised as "criticism." Congratulations! Goebbels would probably ask you out on a date.

Sorry, honey, but I don't care where the actress playing Eva is from, as long as she can sing.

I didn't have a problem with her accent or diction, possibly because I know the score, so I knew what she was singing. My issue is with the fact that she CAN NOT SING.

DefyGravity777
#55How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:48am

Saw the matinee yesterday with Max and Christina. What a huge difference from the first time I saw it with Ricky and Elena. While I did like Ricky a lot I LOVED Max a lot more. His voice is gorgeous.

Christina is just miles better than Elena in ALL aspects of the role. She can act,dance and most importantly SING.

Rachel Potter was once again the standout for me. She kills it in her one song. Fantastic voice and gorgeous woman.

Does anyone know if Michael hurt or broke something in his hand? I took notice he had some sort of cast on.

Like someone else said people were grumbling and complaining that Ricky was out. How could they NOT have known when it was posted on Ticketmaster that Ricky would be on vacation and when I picked up my tickets the guy at the box office told me that he was on vacation before he even handed me my tickets.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#56How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 11:21am

Does anyone know if Michael hurt or broke something in his hand? I took notice he had some sort of cast on.

yeah he broke it at the charity baseball game at Yankee stadium a few weeks ago

Updated On: 7/8/12 at 11:21 AM

kc2 Profile Photo
kc2
#57How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 11:26am

Re: how could people not know Ricky was out? I went Thursday night, I knew beforehand he was out which is why I went as I wanted to see Max instead. I got my ticket from the TKTS booth and no mention was made of Ricky's vacation when I bought it. So if those people got their tickets there too ...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#58How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 11:36am

There were a number of people in my section of the orchestra that didn't seem to know he was out, either.

They chose to yell at, of all people, the merch staff that was walking up and down the aisles selling programs.

Rainbowhigh23
#59How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 1:46pm

I'm surprised that TKTS did not tell people that Ricky was out - I once asked if they inform patrons when any of the principals were out, such as when Raven Symone was out of Sister Act, and they said that they indeed do inform patrons of such an absence. Really rotten of them to not do it this time.

BTW I saw the Friday night performance and something was definitely off with Elena. I've only seen her as Evita in this production and she was fine the other times; in the beginning of Act 1 it did sound like the shriek-fest that others have been complaining about; some lines she was rushing as well. She wasn't alone, Magaldi was rushing lines as well and made me wish Max was on as both Che and Magaldi. Buenos Aires was painful even to me but surprisingly A New Argentina was much better - I was preparing myself for "He supports for he loves you..." and she actually hit every note fine. And Max - my goodness he was wonderful! The show finally felt like a theater piece and not the Ricky Martin show. I love how he was able to inject the sarcasm that the lines suggest that was so lost on Ricky.

Emmaloucbway
#60How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 3:47pm

BUMP
what are the exact dates when Max will be on as Che in August? Will he be Che on August 10th?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#61How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 4:02pm

...Blatant xenophobia disguised as "criticism." Congratulations! Goebbels would probably ask you out on a date.

Xenophobia? How is not liking someone's singing voice xenophobic?

And WTF do Nazis have to do with this discussion?

Haven't you ever learned that, in any Internet discussion, the first person to use a Holocaust analogy automatically loses?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#62How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 6:02pm

Saw it today and have to praise the Che understudy Daniel Torres.He sang and acted the hell out of the role.

The show itself was quite good. We gave it a 9. Cerverus was great. Elena acted the role fine but her voice was OK. It was not horrible but she did sound like she was channeling Edith Piaf a lot of the time. It needs a Patti Lupone powerhouse voice. Sadly Elena does not possess one.

Poster Emeritus

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#63How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 6:31pm

Mr. Roxy- jealous that you got to see Daniel today! I am trying to be there in August when he goes on, but for now could you provide more details? Glad you had a great time.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 7:05pm

He was simply great. I did not see Ricky but cannot imagine him any better.He got a round of solid applause at the curtain call.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/8/12 at 07:05 PM

michellek45
#65How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 7:25pm

I was there to see Daniel, too. He was kind of bland in Act I, but he definitely picked it up and was great in Act II. Right after the curtain when down for Act I, the entire cast gave a huge cheer for him backstage, it was really sweet.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#66How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 8:13pm

I've seen it three times (most recently Thursday evening 7/6) and Michael did the NOOOOOOO all three times.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#67How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 8:15pm

Anyone know what dates Daniel & Max are each performing during Ricky Martin's August vacation? I'd like to see them both....

Rainbowhigh23
#68How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 8:41pm

That's so sweet the cast gave a cheer for Daniel on his first day as Che. I look forward to seeing him.

I guess Daniel will go on during Ricky's next vacation in August, I only saw notice that he was performing today.

michellek45
#69How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/8/12 at 8:56pm

Max said at the stage door that he doesn't like going on as Che during two-show days because he feels like he can't give an outstanding performance during both shows, so I'd be willing to bet Daniel will be going on either Wednesdays or Saturdays in August.

AlfieByrne
#70How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/9/12 at 12:53am

I saw Daniel today. I was looking forward to seeing him, but he definitely left me unimpressed. Quite an unconvincing, bland performance, with weak vocals. I'd see Ricky Martin any day, and I wasn't even a huge fan of Ricky.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#71How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:07am

This thread makes me laugh. Know what else makes me laugh? The way Elena screamsings the "qual" in "star quality."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#72How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:39am

^ How dare you make such a xenophobic comment!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#73How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/9/12 at 8:07am

I thought "xenophobic" meant an irrational dislike of Xena: Warrior Princess

How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che

everythingstaboo Profile Photo
everythingstaboo
#74How Is Max von Essen Doing As Che
Posted: 7/9/12 at 8:51am

I made it out to Evita for the matinee yesterday and I was so impressed by Daniel Torres take on Che. I saw Ricky do the part a few months ago and I thought that Daniel brought a fresh spin to the character. He got laughs at lines that Ricky threw away and the whole audience seemed to really get behind his portrayal.

I think he gained momentum as the show went on, and a highlight for me was his "And the Money Kept Rolling In." He really gave it his all with all of the dancing and running around. I also appreciated his chemistry with Elena and with Micheal. It was totally believable. I think that the more times he goes on the better and better he will do. I'm really glad I got to see the show again with him on.

Other notes:
Michael Cerveris can just do no wrong in my eyes. I feel like he got stronger from the last time I was at the show. I just, his "She is a Diamond" until the end was breathtaking. Unreal how talented this man is.

Elena Roger needs a vacation. Her voice just gets more and more tired as she goes on. Honestly. I know the role is demanding and her acting is incredible I just wish her voice was stronger.

Overall, the ensemble is kicking ass. Max was great as well just sounded tired. Don't blame him of course, he has been rocking it as Che all week. But I must say Rachel Potter was a stand out for me last night. Just beautiful.

I would get to see this production next time Daniel goes on. You won't be disappointed.

Videos