Dames at Sea Previews

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#50Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/25/15 at 11:15pm

JoseLee_ said: "Without knowing anything about it, my first thought was 'on the town-female version'. Do the shows have anything in common? I hope they make a cast recording."

It's not really too similar, though obviously the sailors thing is in common. It's a spoof of 1930's musical films like 42nd Street and Gold Diggers and such. Put on a show type of thing but with the gimmick that it's on a boat.

I too would love a cast recording with the extended dance music and these great performers!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#51Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/25/15 at 11:32pm

So wonderful to hear other people loving this show!

And no, it doesn't have much in common with On the Town except for the fact that they're both dance heavy shows. Dames has more in common with Ruthless! than big shows like On the Town, or even Anything Goes. What's wonderful about this production is that they didn't try to turn Dames into another Anything Goes, which would have been a tragic mistake, missing the whole point of putting it on in the first place. So few directors are willing to trust the material when reviving older shows, but Skinner doesn't doubt it (or the audience) for a second and it allows the proceedings to really shine.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#52Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 12:22am

Also attended tonight, and I agree with the choir - the show is a pure delight.  For me, Mara Davi was the standout.  Sing_dance got it right when he/she said "Choo Choo Honeymoon" is heaven.  She's like Ginger Rogers swaying across that stage.  This show was made for Lesli, and she's hamming up every moment in that spotlight.  The audience ate it up.  For me, the weakest link (although her dancing was pretty stellar) was Eloise.  She's cute, she's spunky, and the tapping is insane, but she doesn't have the voice to match.  It's serviceable.  

Went into this with no expectations and no idea what I was in for, and I think that worked to my advantage.  It's a parody but in the sweetest way possible, and it made my night a little sweeter.  

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#53Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 9:24am

Sing_dance got it right when he/she said "Choo Choo Honeymoon" is heaven.  She's like Ginger Rogers swaying across that stage.  

Haha, I'm a he. :)

Davi was spectacular. Her and Gardner were perfectly matched and the number was pure fireworks. 

Just woke up and still thinking about this show!

"...and in a bed."
Updated On: 9/26/15 at 09:24 AM

Broadwaystar2
#54Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 9:31am

theatregeek6 said: "Just got out from preview #2.    Have to agree I felt really happy leaving this show-reminds me of how I felt after leave 'Drowsy Chaparone'.  Cast was firing on all cylinders.  Leslie Margharita was born for this role.   Audience was VERY enthusiastic - felt like more theatre peoe and insiders.  

You have to also remember there are only 6 actors doing all of their own dancing and singing. So I'm sure the intermission is much appreciated for their feetDames at Sea Previews

After spring awakening and Fun Home this week (both of which I loved) it was nice to have a light evening.  2 hours to the minute including intermission    If finance ly possible I would drop the interval and make it 1:45 straoght through

To to the question of the condition of the Hayes-it is beyond a dump.  Really appalling for a Broadway house.  

"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#55Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 10:50am

Good to hear good things going on at the HAYES and that they seem to have captured the spirit of this lovely, well-written, tuneful show.

The Singapore Sue controversy is building and I'm wondering if the number will be dropped before opening.  The only solution I see is a parody of a different genre in it's place and a "new" song?  Maybe they have a "cut" or "trunk" song hidden somewhere.  A picket line in front of the Theatre is the last thing they need.  

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#56Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 11:45am

Always liked the original off-Broadway production (saw it after Bernadette had done it), although the TV version was pretty flat, even with the three Annies (Margret, Miller and Meara). Glad to hear they have caught the spirit of the piece, and that people are really enjoying it. Maybe time to check it out...

rob136
#57Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 9:15pm

I'm at intermission now. More detailed post to follow sometime tonight or tomorrow morning, but hands down SEE THIS SHOW. I am not a big fan of campy theater but this is campy theater at its best. This show knows what it wants to be and executed very well. Fairly polished for early previews, with some minor weaknesses by one of the cast members in dance (Lucky). This audience is loving the show so far. Applause after every number

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

rob136
#58Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 9:15pm

I'm at intermission now. More detailed post to follow sometime tonight or tomorrow morning, but hands down SEE THIS SHOW. I am not a big fan of campy theater but this is campy theater at its best. This show knows what it wants to be and executed very well. Fairly polished for early previews, with some minor weaknesses by one of the cast members in dance (Lucky). This audience is loving the show so far. Applause after every number

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 11:04pm

Just got back home from the show. So hilarious and goofy. I laughed myself silly. Very strong cast, strong choreography and direction, and hilarious material. As others have said, it's campy and silly, charming. A perfect blend of parody and homage. 

Only qualms: I enjoyed the first act more than the 2nd. The second act wasn't bad, but I felt it wasn't on the same level as the 1st. I also didn't love that "Singapore Sue" number. Not the most politically correct, and also just a weaker moment comedically. Overall though, I definitely recommend it. Just know that what you're going in for. 

For those curious about rush: I got there are at about 9:40 or so, and was about 5th or 6th in line. Side orchestra row C - marked as partial view, but I didn't miss a thing. 

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#60Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/26/15 at 11:52pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the show this evening. Sat a few rows in front of Julie Halston and Annaleigh Ashford, which was kind of cool. 

Unfortunately I was also surrounded by some very annoying audience members.  Someone next to me complained that the show was too light and cute.... I think he kind of missed the point. Mara was a standout, and Lesli was perfect. I loved her big diva song in act one with Dick.  

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

LightsOut90
#61Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 12:12am

Super excited to see this but man what a bummer that 2ST didn't do ANY renovations to the Hayes before this opened Dames at Sea Previews

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#62Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 12:23am

Agreed about the theatre being in rough shape. This was actually my first time in this theatre. The bathroom was way too small. The paint in the auditorium part was really bad too. Yikes. But once the curtain went up, I was able to forget all about the ugly interior :)

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

dave1606
#63Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 12:38am

Just an update. I reached out to their facebook page, and the producers have invited me to come back! Thrilled I will be able to see the show again, hopefully this time without the chatter of the lighting booth!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#64Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 12:43am

This show wasn't really on my radar (as none are until my job sitch reverses itself), but now I definitely want to add this to the top of the list based on all the enthusiasm...

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#65Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 1:00am

I went on Friday and I didn't have the same rapturous reaction many on here are having.

I enjoyed the show very much and admire the type of show they are trying to send up. The score is a pure delight and the orchestra sounds larger than eight which helps with the 30s sound they are going for. The show has not a thing to say and that's the joy.

Lesli walks away with the show - to the point that it may be a problem, at least for me. Anytime she was gone I was wondering when she was going to return. Poor Mara has barely anything to do - though she leads the great act 1 closer ("Good Times Are Here to Stay"Dames at Sea Previews and wrings everything out of her not very funny one-liners. The men are fine, with Cary registering the best - he has the ability to say ridiculous things genuinely which made him stand out. John played his duel roles very broad, which didn't work all the time and Danny barely registered on my radar.

What is missing is the sense of humanity in the characters. Or at least in the one character it needed to - Ruby. Her character is the most human and that needs to come through - even among the hilarity that is happening. Bernadette Peters is a tough act to follow and unfortunately, Eloise doesn't begin to touch that. She taps very well and delivers her lines with feeling, but never does she makes us care. With a permanently befuddled expression on her face, she almost takes the joy out of the wonderful "Raining In My Heart" number. The only part she really nailed was "Star Tar", although I would have much rather had Lesli perform it. It was like having a 42nd Street without a really good Peggy - you know who the writers are trying to make you root for, yet you don't believe she is really the great star everyone says she is.

The show was an enjoyable evening out - I payed $30 for student rush and enjoyed it thoroughly. However, with the responses on here, I was expecting much more and I was a little unsatisfied. I loved On the Town because, although it is a broad comedy, there is a human heart underneath all the humor. That humanity i what was missing, at least for me, in Dames at Sea.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 9/27/15 at 01:00 AM

rob136
#66Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 4:42am

I also went to student rush. I was first in line and got Orchestra B6, also partial view. I didn't miss anything, but a giant loop of wires from the lighting rig were hooked around where the leg space was supposed to be for my seat, so it was very cramped. For the price, it was still a perfectly fine seat.

I'm slightly less enthusiastic about the show after seeing Act 2, but I still think it's a must see. Lesli Margherita steals the show, channeling her inner Kristin Chenoweth in a role not that far removed from Lily Garland. Bolton's performance as Hennesey and the Captain was also memorable.

The choreography was excellent and the cast pulled it off well. Danny Gardner (Lucky) needs to work a bit on his timing with the dance and tap, as he was a bit behind at times in Act 1. Given that most of the dance numbers have the cast standing side-by-side, it was noticeable. He had some difficulty on one of the tap sections in "Choo-Choo Honeymoon". It's early in previews yet, and this is very fixable.

The story is enough to string together the musical numbers, and that's really all it's meant to be. Without spoiling the story, I found Ruby's character extremely weak in Act 2. I also found the final number to be unnecessary; the show could have ended with "Star Tar". They could solve both issues by chopping off the final number and adding one about Ruby and Dick's relationship issues, but I doubt they plan to play around with the book much if at all.

Overall, this show is a good time. It's light-hearted and campy. I'm not usually a fan of those types of shows, but this is old-school Broadway at its finest. The producers may be the real stars here, as they seem to have made all the right decisions. They've opened in a small theater ahead of most other musicals (Does Amazing Grace even count?), allowing time for word-of-mouth before the competition starts previews. With a cast of only six actors and actresses plus standbys, a set that is minimal but effective, and a small orchestra, this doesn't appear to be a particularly expensive production as musicals go. This show should find an audience large enough to sustain it through the Tonys if the producers care to go that long. It's obviously very early to be talking about this, but I could see Margherita getting a nom and I wouldn't count out a Best Musical Revival nom. This is definitely a better show than On the Town, which was nominated last year.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#67Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 9:14am

It's obviously very early to be talking about this, but I could see Margherita getting a nom and I wouldn't count out a Best Musical Revival nom. This is definitely a better show than On the Town, which was nominated last year.

Unless I'm mistaken, DAS has never been produced on Broadway, and although it is nearly 50 years old, it would qualify (if it does) as Best Musical, not as a revival. Any thoughts about this?

"

woeisme3
#68Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 9:20am

Unless I'm mistaken, DAS has never been produced on Broadway, and although it is nearly 50 years old, it would qualify (if it does) as Best Musical, not as a revival. Any thoughts about this?

As it's a revival of an already existing musical, I  think Dames would go into best revival. Little Shop of Horrors, which was never on broadway until 2003, was also considered a revival if I remember correctly.

"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#69Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 9:33am

I am a lot less enthusiastic about the show than most of the posters here. It's a well-done production, and I think the cast is really great and talented (I was so happy to see Mara Davi back on Broadway!) but admittedly it was too campy and old-fashioned for my tastes (although I loved the recent On the Town revival.) But if you like shows of this style, I recommend it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#70Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 9:46am

Jayinchelsea, 

Yours is a common mistake, but it's one that's been explained many many times on this board. Woeisme3 is correct about Little Shop of Horrors, but the list of examples goes on and on:

Little Shop

Assassins

Hedwig

Lady Day

Violet

The Cripple of Inishmaan

This is Our Youth

Cinderella

And I'm sure I'm missing some. All of these are shows that were never previously produced on Broadway, but were considered revivals. The rule of thumb is: if it's a revival, then it's considered a revival. If it's an original musical, then it's considered an original musical. It has almost nothing to do with whether it's actually been on Broadway before. You said it yourself: Dames at Sea is 50 years old, and it's an already existing show. Shows like Hamilton are considered original because, even though it ran last year at the Public, this is a transfer of the SAME ORIGINAL PRODUCTION to Broadway. Dames at Sea couldn't be eligible for Best New Musical because it very simple is NOT an original musical, regardless of its history on Broadway. 

However, after Hedwig's win in 2014, they did slightly alter the rules about the writers. If Dames at Sea were to win best Revival (for which it WILL be eligible), the writers of the show, Jim Wise, George Haimsohn and Robin Miller, would be considered included in the win, and would be (posthumously?) given Tony Awards for it. 

Updated On: 9/27/15 at 09:46 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#71Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 1:23pm

I saw Dames at Sea last night with my regular theater buddy, and we both enjoyed it a lot. I thought all the performances were strong and the sets were great. I agree with previous posters who said that Lesli Margherita was hilarious. To show how entertaining the show was for me, at intermission I happened to turn on my phone (big mistake) to receive the distressing news that a dear friend had passed away unexpectedly. I decided to stay for Act 2 (making sure my phone was turned off again), and the show succeeded in distracting me from my sad frame of mind. That's saying a lot.

On the debit side, I didn't feel the score was that strong. I kept waiting for something that would stick with me. I know the songs are pastiche numbers that are gently ribbing songs from the 1930s, but even listening with that in mind, I didn't think the score is as good as it could have been. I would have liked one or two breakout numbers. Maybe I'm judging it too harshly, I don't know. 

Also on the slight debit side, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was seeing an Off Broadway show. I guess the six performers do as best they can to expand the experience for the audience, but at its heart it's a small show. Yes, that's part of it's charm, but I think I would have been disappointed if I had shelled out for a full-price ticket. 

Just a random observation: I am a big fan of Anything Goes and On the Town, and I can't imagine how anyone could say that Dames is equal to or even better than On the Town. To me, there is no comparison. OTT is a masterpiece, with many themes and an underlying sadness and wistfulness. Dames is an entertaining trifle. I enjoyed it on that level, but OTT has it beat in every area.

We sat in center Row G in the orchestra. The view was very nice. However, there was a very tall gentleman sitting in front of me, and a large part of my view of the center of the stage was blocked unless I moved my head. For the second act, my friend and I shifted over two seats, behind some people who happened to be shorter. I don't know anything about theater design, but aren't the seats in the orchestra (where there's not usually a good rake) supposed to be set up so that they're staggered, so that you can see over the shoulders of the people in front of you? I'm mentioning it in the hopes that if the theater does undergo a renovation, this can be corrected if possible. It is a nice, intimate space, and I hope the new owners put some money into fixing it up. Expanded bathrooms are definitely needed!

I had attended the special event in which a tapping contest was held, and tickets were sold for $19.32 each. I want to thank the producers for making these seats available to fans like me who can't afford to even pay TKTS prices. If not for this promotion, I probably would have had to skip Dames at Sea. I think the tactic must have worked, because the result was a very appreciative, cheering audience who really seemed to be loving the show. I'm glad I got to see it, and I wish the performance the very best!

Updated On: 9/27/15 at 01:23 PM

rob136
#72Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/27/15 at 4:02pm

I never got the appeal of On the Town. It was a fun diversion, I suppose, but it wasn't particularly funny, certainly not innovative, and the story just didn't appeal to me. The choreography seemed stale. I don't know, Dames at Sea just seemed a bit more fresh for me. It's definitely old Broadway, but the choreography was more interesting, the tap was an excellent addition over the "On the Town" formula, and the jokes landed better for me. When it comes to audience response, the audience when I saw Dames was substantially more receptive than the audience that saw On the Town, although that could also be because the audience at Dames seemed much younger.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#73Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/29/15 at 8:48am

^ Interesting that you thought the audience at Dames At Sea was younger than at On the Town. At 31, I felt extremely young looking around at the crowd waiting to go in on Sunday afternoon. 

I was at the Sunday matinee.  I really enjoyed myself. I had no expectations going in as I only really heard of the title.  But, it was really flashy for such a small show. I didn't really get an off Broadway vibe based on that. The dancing was excellent and I did enjoy the music.  I really hope they do put out a cast recording. 

I definitely see what people are saying about Lesli Margherita stealing the show. She was definitely the strongest out of the 3 females.  Mara Davi was wonderful too.  Eloise Kropp was good,  but she did feel like the weakest link. I think she could get better as the show goes on. Her dancing was fine,  but found her acting a bit dull.

I really hope this show finds an audience.  I managed to get seat B 101 in the orchestra through goldstar. That surprised me because I figured those were premium seats. Only paid $79 for that seat. Also, the 2 seats in front of me and behind me were empty. I think the rest of the theater was full though. 

And the interior may not have been the best looking,  but the leg room is wonderful.  So, I can look past the interior look for that.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#74Dames at Sea Previews
Posted: 9/29/15 at 9:10am

I had no idea there was a tv production from 1971. That cast looks really interesting and so different from each other; Anns Margret, Meara and Miller. I'd like to see the whole show but it's probably embargoed now with the stage production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5iR3OP8rlk

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Videos