News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 3

2017 TONY Awards Performances

ChiTheaterFan
#502017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:04am

Not sure Screech In is the best choice for Come From Away because it's so lighthearted. Don't get me wrong--I loved it in context. But if people who haven't seen it know it's a show about 9/11 and are shown only the most humorous song and nothing else, that might be off-putting. I was skeptical they'd be able to take the right tone before seeing it, but I think they did a great job, and I'd hate for people to be left with the wrong impression of its tone because they picked the funniest moment. But selfishly I would love the chance to see this song again!

I love Me and the Sky and think it shows the emotion of the show but I agree that it's an issue showcasing one of the only non-ensemble songs in what really is an ensemble musical. 

This is one of those shows where I'm not sure any of the songs will do justice to the show as a whole when performed out of context. So tough decision. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#512017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:15am

Pratt also did Waving on Seth Meyers.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#522017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:50am

Wick3 said: "Butter Broadway said: "Where have they performed Waving Through a Window?

"

At the TODAY show (where they also sang "Only Us"2017 TONY Awards Performances and at the Obie awards

"

^ tag beat me to it. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#532017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/1/17 at 8:15am

"Whether LCT actually pays for a Falsettos performance is up in the air. If they do, it will be something that doesnt require the whole cast. So Block actually has a great shot at performing "I'm Breaking Down". She's their most likely acting nominee, and producers would only have to pay one performer and not coordinate schedules of the other actors for rehearsals. Other closed musicals have done similar solo numbers ("Follies" and "Ragtime" revivals come to mind)"

I hope you're right Audra.

Stephanatic

Rainah
#542017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/1/17 at 11:07pm

The more I think about it the more I think that Comet is going to have to do what Hamilton did at the grammys - go live from inside their own theatre. Can you imagine any of the numbers translating to a tony stage??? Half the magic would be gone. 

And right now I"m leaning towards them doing a medley. Possibly prologue/no one else/letters/dust and ashes

Willie4316
#552017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/1/17 at 11:22pm

Rainah said: "The more I think about it the more I think that Comet is going to have to do what Hamilton did at the grammys - go live from inside their own theatre. Can you imagine any of the numbers translating to a tony stage??? Half the magic would be gone. 

And right now I"m leaning towards them doing a medley. Possibly prologue/no one else/letters/dust and ashes
"

Perhaps have the cast use several entrances, similar to Pippin when Matthew came up from the audience. At least for the prologue? 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#562017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 11:33am

I was thinking about this last night after a second viewing of the show. Recreating their set would be very difficult. I could see them doing something like The Prologue with the majority of it stage in the audience and only having a small set on stage, such as the door that Pierre enters through and some kind of staircase.

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#572017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 11:36am

unrelated to performances, but any idea why the host or announcers have not been announced yet? do we even know who is presenting the nominations? I wonder if they're still negotiating the talent..

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#582017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 11:51am

Hopefully, we should find out something this month.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#602017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 11:27am

Rainah said: "The more I think about it the more I think that Comet is going to have to do what Hamilton did at the grammys - go live from inside their own theatre. Can you imagine any of the numbers translating to a tony stage??? Half the magic would be gone. 

"

If I was calling the shots, Comet would do "Charming". I know that a lot of folks love this show, but "Charming" is the only song that I can really remember from it.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 4/4/17 at 11:27 AM

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#612017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 2:33pm

The Great Comet will be difficult to put a finger on for its performances. I ADORE the prologue, so I hope it gets performed, but a big part of it depends on if Benton and/or Groban get nominated, in which case we could see it as a medley with No One Else or Dust and Ashes.

Call_me_jorge
#622017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 3:01pm

"

I feel like there would be a lot of extra costs to that. Like driving nominated actors to and from the performance during the ceremony and there would also be a time issue, how long would it take to get from radio city to the imperial?

unless they had the Comet cast go first? They could do an adjusted performance of the prologue where they sing the nominees you will see instead of the characters. That could be interesting.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#632017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 3:08pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Rainah said: "The more I think about it the more I think that Comet is going to have to do what Hamilton did at the grammys - go live from inside their own theatre. Can you imagine any of the numbers translating to a tony stage??? Half the magic would be gone. 

And right now I"m leaning towards them doing a medley. Possibly prologue/no one else/letters/dust and ashe
s

I feel like there would be a lot of extra costs to that. Like driving nominated actors to and from the performance during the ceremony and there would also be a time issue, how long would it take to get from radio city to the imperial?

unless they had the Comet cast go first? They could do an adjusted performance of the prologue where they sing the nominees you will see instead of the characters. That could be interesting.

My friend had the same idea about the Tonys opening with a parody of The Prologue using the nominees from the year. It would be fun.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#642017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 3:11pm

I think that would be a fun idea, but I imagine the Comet producers would never go for it. Something Rotten did something similar and it ended up not feeling more like a parody number and less like an advertisement for the show. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Rainah
#652017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 3:57pm

Lot666 said: "If I was calling the shots, Comet would do "Charming". I know that a lot of folks love this show, but "Charming is the only song that I can really remember from it."

There's no way they'll do charming by itself, unless Amber was the only nominee they had. It's a great song but it's a solo number for a side character

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#662017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:13pm

Great Comet did "Balaga" into "The Abduction" on The Today Show yesterday morning... does this limit the chances they would do that at the Tonys as well?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#672017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:31pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Great Comet did "Balaga" into "The Abduction" on The Today Show yesterday morning... does this limit the chances they would do that at the Tonys as well?

That's my favorite part of the show but I thought it came off terribly on Today. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#682017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:37pm

little_sally said: "That's my favorite part of the show but I thought it came off terribly on Today."

Hate to say it, but I agree. Sigh.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#692017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/29/17 at 7:46pm

I'm really hoping for Letters. It's a song that will appeal to many and they haven't performed it on any promotional shows yet.

MadsonMelo
#702017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/29/17 at 11:41pm

''Face to Face'' is happening as long both ladies get nominated, doesn't matter if War Paint doesn't get Best Musical nom, the producers of the show and Tony itself won't refuse to have both LuPone and Ebersole doing a showstopper number on the telecast.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#712017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:01am

little_sally said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Great Comet did "Balaga" into "The Abduction" on The Today Show yesterday morning... does this limit the chances they would do that at the Tonys as well?

That's my favorite part of the show but I thought it came off terribly on Today. 

"

Are most actors in the company in great comet dressed like bohemian hipsters in the show like they were on the Today show?

i kind of thought that Groundhog Day number was an odd choice since it didn't show off Andy Carl's vocal skills at all. 

Updated On: 4/30/17 at 12:01 AM

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#722017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:05am

Philanthropy was the worst possible choice to perform on the Today Show. I have no idea what the GHD producers/whoever set that up were thinking. 

If it's nominated for Musical, I can see them doing If I Had My Time Again (with some slightly toned-down lyrics) or the Small Town USA segment of Day One. If it doesn't and Andy Karl gets nominated for Leading Actor in a Musical (because even if the show isn't nominated he almost definitely will be), I can see them doing Hope, even though it loses some of its impact without the full staging, because it's his Big Emotional Solo. 

Updated On: 4/30/17 at 12:05 AM

Jarethan
#732017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:13am

Wick3 said: "If Gavin Creel and Bette Midler get a nomination, I think Hello Dolly would perform "Put on your Sunday Clothes".

I think that would be too hard to put on...anything less than what you see on stage at the Shubert would diminish the number.  Sorta sick of it because it has been the go to number for years, but I am betting the will do Before the Parade...definitely showcases Midler.  I can't help thinking that So Long Dearie would be a great number, but they never seem to do it.

Call_me_jorge
#742017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:14am

Has it been discussed whether Falsettos will perform if it's nominated. I'd hate for it to be the Drood of this year, plus it's another SJB show. Perhaps, if just SJB is nominated they'll have her perform breaking down. 

Videos