Best Finales

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#50re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/9/05 at 7:14pm

Well, I love many finales but i think i'll go with HAIRSPRAY, BOY FROM OZ, RENT and LES MIS. Also AIDA's closing was great !
I am surprised no one mentioned 'For Now" from Avenue Q, since I know that many BWW posters love the show. Unfortunately I haven't seen the show live (YET) but it sounds great on the cast recording !

Take care Updated On: 3/9/05 at 07:14 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#51re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/9/05 at 7:29pm

RENT and Hairspray.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#52re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/9/05 at 8:23pm

I really love Hairspray's finale. You Can't Stop the Beat is one of the best songs - it makes me want to get up and dance, and makes me extremely happy.

I also love Wicked's, though it's not as fun. I guess I don't like it as much because when I see it, I know it's over when the finale comes, and I'm sad.

me3 Profile Photo
me3
#53re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/9/05 at 8:24pm

MAMMA MIA!

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#54re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 6:16am

Yes, how could i forget Mamma Mia's finale !! Pure fun, fun, fun !

Take care

Glinda's Candy Profile Photo
Glinda's Candy
#55re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 6:33am

I love the Phantom ending - when you hear Christine's voice in the distance as she sails away - so sad!!!
And also the ending for wicked - i just love the whole ending/back-to-the-beginning cyclic feel.
X

I got you. Yeah, I got you on camera - you on candid camera now... An' you ain't know that...

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#56re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 7:57am

The Boy From Oz and Hairspray are on the top of my list, just for the buzz I was on after seeing them - the energy on stage in the finale to these shows was amazing! But I love POTO and Wicked - both very touching, and made me really appreciate what I have

Glinda's Candy
#57re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 8:00am

TOTALLY agree with you, Practically P. Those shows have so much energy its amazing - and they really make you feel lucky to be alive, don't they?

I got you. Yeah, I got you on camera - you on candid camera now... An' you ain't know that...

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#58re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 8:46am

Thank god someone said Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park With George. These are up there with Gypsy and Cabaret for me.

Pacific Overture has a very powerful ending, especially the Reciter's last monologue. Passion is rather moving as well.

I love the Avenue Q finale, so much fun!

As much as I love Follies I am surprised that it is mentioned here, as the finale is generally said to be the failure of the show.

And one show I am SHOCKED hasn't been mentioned:
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF...

Norbert Leo's Butt Profile Photo
Norbert Leo's Butt
#59re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 10:32am

Mary Poppins is by far the best finale! when she flys off over the audience at the end, L-MK is AMAZING. The wicked finale isn't really satisfactory, I mean elphaba coming back to life makes it happy not sad, a complete anticlimax. i mean she died in the wizard of oz. Glinda's candy....er hello!!!

'They re-made my belly with skin from my butt'

Norbert Leo's Butt
#60re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 10:40am

Totally agree Practically Perfect about Hairspary and Oz; Huge Jackman is fit!!!

cathyhyatt
#61re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 11:39am

ragtime-although I've never seen it...the music is amazing

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#62re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 11:42am

Cabaret and Les Miz!!

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#63re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 11:48am

Gee, the thread has unfortunately turned into a "What shows have you seen on Broadway" thread. I mean, this is not about finales who are somewhat "cute" but rather overwhelming in their sheer theatrical brilliance.

So once more (after some serious thoughts):
Cabaret (repeating myself) + Gypsy + Follies + A Chorus Line + Mystery of Edwin Drood + Into the Woods + Sweeney Todd

Edit: + Pacific Overtures ("Next" is extremely brillant)

I don't care for Rent at all... Updated On: 3/10/05 at 11:48 AM

Sant
#64re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 11:55am

THE KING AND I

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

SUNSET BOULEVARD

cabarethed
#65re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 12:20pm

Cabaret, always.

The finales that honestly get me choked up are The Producers and Avenue Q. I feel so determined and positive after Q, and I'm just a sap for Leo getting his due.....

CattleCall Profile Photo
CattleCall
#66re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 1:27pm

Altar Boyz
The Full Monty
Avenue Q

"I can't pay the bills yet, 'cause I have no skills yet. The world is a big scary place." - Avenue Q

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#67re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 1:31pm

bombay dreams-wonderful town

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Glinda's Candy
#68re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 8:59pm

um, Norbert Leo's Butt? (LOVING the name btw!! lol) - What makes the finale of Wicked so incredible is that, if the audience thinks about it realistically, it is absolutely not a happy ending! it's really tragic - sure Elphaba is not dead, but effectively her friendship with Glinda (what we are led to believe is the most important emotional aspect of the show) is. She will never see her again. So, while we can all feel happy to be alive, you have to mourn the loss of one of the strongest on-stage friendships, like, EVER! really powerful an' stuff...
X

trpguyy
#69re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 10:10pm

I think I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that "Dracula" has the all-time BEST finale.

Right.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#70re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/10/05 at 11:08pm

TITANIC and Cabaret both were moving...... i was brought to tears for both..... but Titanic was just so eriey and scary i loved it........

Norbert Leo's Butt
#71re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 8:39am

Glinda's candy (not getting the name by the way). I agree with you, but do you not reckon that there is an element of 'why couln't Glinda see her?' Who would find out. i think it is way more sad for glinda at the end than elphaba. i mean, elphy's happy, she has norbert leo's butt but glinda is stuck being good and gets left with boq i guess. It didn't seem to fit in quite right although was v. good. xoxox see ya doll face

WildhornFanatic
#72re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 10:27am

I didn't care for RENT at all either. I thought the entire show was boring.

My favorite finales are:

LES MISERABLES
"The Glory" from THE CIVIL WAR. Gets me everytime.

Parks
#73re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 11:40am

As much as I LOVE Avenue Q, the ending was a little disappointing. I enjoyed the finale music (in fact, it's one of my favorite songs), but it just..doesn't do it for me.

I really liked the ending to Godspell. When we did the show last year (I did lights) and our cast starting singing "Long Live God", I started tearing up. It was very touching.

Into the Woods had good finale music, but not my favorite ending. A little boring, and just a little too calm. I enjoyed when it sped back up with "There are always wolves, there are always spells..."

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#74re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 12:07pm

Hairspray
Rent
Cabaret

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Videos