pixeltracker

Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!- Page 3

Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#50re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 5:43pm

Hm...yeah, pretty sure I never saw the helicopter. And now that it's been pointed out, I must say that's kind of a crappy attempt at a helicopter (a little too fat and stubby). I think I'll continue seeing it as a graphic symbol.

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#51re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 7:13pm

I've always seen both.

It is rather clever, though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#52re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 8:13pm

I seriously find this whole thread hilarious. I mean, I've always seen the face and the helicopter as both being very obvious...like, you're meant to see them both quite easily. It's just kinda funny that people missed the face. re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#53re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/23/05 at 10:34pm

I never saw either of them. However I am pretty stupid about things like this- it took me about a month to realize the Aida poster was two faces and not just one!

starryeyes2 Profile Photo
starryeyes2
#54re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:11am

yay my first post. I saw the making of Miss Saigon and they go through the whole process of designing the posters. So clever! So i guess i've always seen the face because of that.

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#55re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/24/05 at 5:15am

Yeah, i thought the helicopter was pretty obvious but I had never noticed the face before! The same with the Martin Guerre faces

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

rockfenris2005
#56re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/24/05 at 6:34am

For a moment there, I was laughing my face off. I mean, who didn't notice the face and the helicopter? It's like saying: "OMG. There's a flag in the Les Miserables logo"

But... that Martin Guerre one truly freaked me out. I've had the poster for years and years and years, and never ever noticed it was a face. Jane Eyre is pretty impressive too

Keep going with this. Are there any more logos of this nature?

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

other321
#57re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/24/05 at 8:01pm

It concerns me that this is the curriculum being taught in a 'History of Musical Theatre' course.
What university is this?!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#58re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 12/24/05 at 10:43pm

I've always noticed the face, but never the helicopter until now. That said, I never understood why they used a so-called character symbol because, as Urban pointed out, the Vietnamese language uses the Latin alphabet, unlike Chinese or Japanese. Maybe it's an ancient symbol of some sort.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#59re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:24am

re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

I always knew that about the Saigon logo, but the original Martin Guerre - I had no idea. Interesting.

I love the Aspects of Love logo...the heart, two people embracing, and the whole face. Very cool. One of the coolest, I think. I love the 1999 Martin Guerre best tho - much improved over the original logo.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry
Updated On: 2/28/06 at 12:24 AM

COOOOLkid
#60re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:33am

I have to agree Aspects of Love has the coolest looking logo.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

tim10086 Profile Photo
tim10086
#61re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:35am

The first time I saw the logo (which was probably when I bought the CD - but I did know of the general plot) I noticed both the chopper and Kim's face...

I bet that Ross guy at Dewynters would LOVE to read this thread and see how much surprise his logo has aroused 17 or so years later.

I will climb back up that mountain!

dhiraj86 Profile Photo
dhiraj86
#62re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:41am

I saw an interview with Cameron McIntosh and he said that he wanted the face to be hidden in the Miss Saigon logo and for the viewer to not easily find it. Furthermore, he wanted to have it where when you did find it, you can never forget it when you look at it. Excellent Marketing!!! That is why he is the master producer (even with shows like Cats and Phantom!)

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#63re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:44am

I always noticed the face and the helicopter, but it's always fun to see someone's reaction when they finally figure it out. =D

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#64re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:51am

Sorry dude, saw the heli and the face the minute Dewynters presented the final draft to the public in London. :)

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

dhiraj86 Profile Photo
dhiraj86
#65re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 1:10am

Me too!

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#66re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 1:15am

always saw the helicopter, but never the face. Thought I was an idiot till I looked down and realized tons of people didn't see the face. weird.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

thevolleyballer
#67re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 1:19am

Well, for someone who's never seen the show nor heard anything about it other than "It's bad", I wouldn't have known a helicopter is in the show, and thus, I wouldn't have known a helicopter would be on a poster.

But yes, I always just thought that was some kind of odd calligraphy -- nice to know it's symbolic!!

Color and Light
#68re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 2:18am

That was the first thing that hit me when I saw the "Miss Saigon" poster - that it had both a helicopter and a face in it. Thought that was a nifty bit of design.

Stop looking at my charisma.

Jon
#69re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 6:41am

I always liked the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC logo - the tree with all the naked people hidden in the leaves - including a couple fornicating.

ashley0139
#70re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 2/28/06 at 7:29am

I CANNOT SEE THE FACE! I know that little dot is an eye. Which way is it facing? What's going on? Help! I feel like an idiot. On the other hand, I always knew that was a helicopter. How could it not be?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

neddyfrank2
#71re: Miss Siagon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 6/20/06 at 6:08pm

I can't for the life of me see the face, can somebody please help me out here. I see the eye, I don't see a nose or mouth or anything else. It looks like the eye is facing my right, but that is all I can see.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#72re: Miss Saigon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 6/20/06 at 6:12pm

re: Miss Saigon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

There you go. I even outlined the head for you. (Just forget she has crazy grown-out Susan Powter hair.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

neddyfrank2
#73re: Miss Saigon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 6/20/06 at 6:13pm

Thank You VERY Much, it was bugging me that I couldn't see it.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#74re: Miss Saigon Logo - JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Posted: 6/20/06 at 6:14pm

Damn, Lizzie - you're quick! I can't even get my applications to load that fast.

(Or is this something you just happened to have already?)

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Videos