News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??- Page 3

What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#50re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:32pm

Wicked sets are all spectical and cheesy that having nothing to do with the SHOW. Now the book is another story. The own cast didn't know the revelance to why the show has a clock theme.
Updated On: 4/10/06 at 09:32 PM

Fabrizio2
#51re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:33pm

Haha BwayBaby18, you are the best....

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#52re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:33pm

The sets have nothing to do with the show OR t he book? Your post isn't making much sense ot me. (And, YES, i read the novel. i know the significance of the clock of the time dragon.)

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Fabrizio2
#53re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:34pm

I think that she is just saying that the cast did not know the meaning of the clocks...I didn't understand the first part.

dancingthrulife04
#54re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:37pm

Well, maybe the cast didn't read the novel. The clock is actually pretty insignificant in the context of the show.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#55re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:42pm

Therefor it is a useless set, it doesn't tell you anything about the main themes of the show.... i edited my earlier post.

dancingthrulife04
#56re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 9:45pm

That makes more sense. It still has SOME relevance to the show, though, even if the cast doesn't necessarily know. The clock is mentioned in the very beginning.

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#57re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 11:28pm

I agree that the Wicked set is both beautiful and holds its own within the concept of the show.

Also, my picks are (these are somewhat biased since I haven't seen anything in New York for two years):

The Secret Garden
Ragtime
The Lion King

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

Attendthetale331
#58re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/10/06 at 11:30pm

The Light in the Piazza, Fiddler On the Roof Revival

"Listen to the song that I sing and trust me..."

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#59re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:01am

Phantom of the Opera
Wicked
Beauty and the Beast
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Hairspray

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Thesbijean
#60re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:06am

Piazza's is quite stunning.

Though nothing beats Sunday in the Park With George.

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#61re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:07am

the ORIGINAL Porgy and Bess set in like... ninteen-thirty...something...

Phantom... (I always wished they had a SL staircase for Masquerade... but alas...)

CATS was pretty cool...

PIAZZA is GORGEOUS.

that's a really big mic...

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#62re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:08am

Um...Glinda makes a reference in the very beginning of the show talking about the Time Clock.

anyway....

Ragtime
The Phantom of The Opera
Wicked
AIDA
The Lion King
Starlight Express....I love this set
FANTASMIC
Side Show...University of Montevallo

Facebook...ME !!!

RentBoy86
#63re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:13am

Unmasked, I read in the Black & White today about Montevallo's "Side Show" - you'll have to post production photos, as I won't be able to attend.

Do you think you guys could elaborate more on why you like these sets and/or add pictures? I haven't seem most of these shows, so I'd love to see some of the sets mentioned.

I thought the Sweeney revival set was very effective, although, I didn't like how it had the parts on the side. The black parts. I felt like it should have sprawled out across the entire stage. Although I guess the narrowness sort of worked, cause it drew your eye into the story.

I think Wicked has great elaborate sets. I also like how the Wicked set fits the Gershwin like a glove. It was literally built into the theater and I like that. It doesn't look transplanted. I also love how even though its enormous, there is a lot of detail. I just think the show is great. I think it has great direction - in places. The only thing I didn't like was the dresser that Elphaba appears in. I get why it looks like that because of the "effect" - but I just think it looks sorta cheap.

I think the Chicago set is very effective. That show is a great example of how lighting and sets can work together to create an atmosphere. I love the "jail" gobos used on the floor and how the cast members never actually left the stage.

I sorta liked the Full Monty sets. They were interesting, yet creative. It worked great with the show, but wasn't really anything to rave about, but at the same time, I really liked looking at them and the sorta of neon colors that they used.

Mamma Mia has a very cool set too. Its a good example of a unit set. Is that the right term? I always get them confused. It worked for so many different locations. It was brillantly designed. Esp with the floor lighting up and the raised platform that was sorta useless, but interesting.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#64re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:57am

But here is the thing something as important as what you are looking over shouldn't be glossed over in one line.... which frankly half of the glinda's have had terrible timing and just speed over the point of th clock.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#65re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 5:01am

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

I loved how they start with a bare white stage, transfoirm it into the outline of teh park, by the end of act one the complete painting is before us and by teh end of act two we return to a bare white stage. Magic! It fit the needs of the show without overwhelming it.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#66re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:03am

I loved looking at the most recent fiddler revival. it was beautiful. better than the actual show.

also, I'm jumping on the piazza wagon.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

ze emcee Profile Photo
ze emcee
#67re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:20pm

The Light in the Piazza
The Phantom of the Opera

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#68re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:46pm

I'll throw another vote in "An Inspector Calls". Never before or since have I seen a set design that was so fully integrated into the production that the set itself was almost a character in the show. The genius of it though was that as fantastic as the stage design was it never once upstaged the performance... completely brilliant.

I was also a big fan of John Lee Beatty's set for the LTC revival "The Little Foxes". That staircase! Loved it (and Stockard Channing and Frances Conroy).

Also, Bob Crowley's designs for "Carousel" were stunning as well. Which brings up two interesting conclusions: 1994 was a great year for set design and the Vivian Beaumont is a great space for set designers.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings
Updated On: 4/11/06 at 01:46 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#69re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:14pm

Original Sweeney
It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!
Wicked
Sadly, two of those three I have only seen in photographs.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#70re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 2:15pm

From the past, the original production of "Annie". The sets were wonderful, as well as how the set changes were incorporated into the show.

Currently, "The Light in the Piazza". Simply stunning.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

sharon1
#71re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:20pm

I liked the Fiddler Revival set very much. I still think some are classics like, Sunday In the Park with George, Phantom, Sunset, and Les Miserables. My current favorite is Woman In White not just because it was new and different but because it worked. Even though some thought it didn't. I applaud their courage for doing something unusual. And yes, I agree with Avenue Q too.

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#72re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:29pm

Into The Woods

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#73re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:32pm

I don't think Caroline or Change has been said yet. I thought it was a great set.

Of course I'll agree with numerous other:
Sunday..
Phantom...
...Piazza
etc...

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#74re: What show do you think has OR had the best scenery??
Posted: 4/11/06 at 4:34pm

Wonderful Town revival had the best set I have seen on Bway in a long while. I was bored with the show. Luckily I had the details of the amazing set to bide my time.

timmmmmmmmmy

Videos