pixeltracker

Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise- Page 3

Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise

iluvtheatertrash
#50re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:10pm

Ok. I'll admit it. I enjoyed Charlotte's performance.

BUT, it is certainly not nominaton-worthy. This should be Barbara Walsh's slot, as Luker's should belong to Davie's.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#51re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:12pm

I love how a person's opinions make other people feel the need to b*tch about that persons taste (or lack thereof) in theatre.

I personally enjoyed watching Charlotee's performance. Her voice was not so hot, but I thought her dancing was fantastic (maybe I just caught her on a good day, judging by everyone's comments, but I'm a pretty big critic of dancing). I'm glad she got nominated. That being said, she won't win it over Mary Louise Wilson, and neither would Erin Davie had she been nominated.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

TommyTunesSon
#52re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:22pm

First of all, Mary Louise Wilson is going to WIN this year's featured actress in a musical tony award; second of all, I am on record as thinking Charlotte d'Amboise SHOULD WIN the tony award! I think her Cassie is amazing - acting-wise, vocally, and her dancing (at least the night I saw her). I never saw Donna McKechnie, so I am not comparing the performances. (I also really loved Barbara Walsh in Company, who the committee did not recognize with a nomination). I've been a bit non-plussed by the anger, vehemence, and mean-spiritedness of the posts bashing her; it's my opinion that it's fine to say an opinion so long as it is not hateful...(boy, do i know I will get bashed for this!)

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#53re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:24pm

I thought that the committee gave her a nomination slightly due to Charlotte not getting much recognition throughout her career. Updated On: 5/15/07 at 07:24 PM

Fabrizio2
#54re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:08pm

For me, this is complicated because I love love love her work and I love her dancing and definately acting as Cassie (however I NEVER saw Donna McKechnie except for videos circulating and stuff). I thought her Charity was amazing and Roxie was also well done.

Does she deserve the nomination? MAYBE. For me she's not the first person to come to my mind for a spot in those five but she's definately not the last...however I would have rather seen Cortez get a nomination if it had to be someone from ACL on the featured actress category. Would Cortez win? Hell no. She was fantastic but Wilson has the entire set of women beat out for her performance in Grey Gardens IMO, especially after seeing her in the first preview and her portrayal of Edith being dead on.

This all goes back to d'Amboise needing a STAR VEHICLE. It's not that she has so much POTENTIAL, it's that she needs the right role to get her where she needs to be. Being cast as Cassie fooled us all because everyone thought well, she IS Cassie. But maybe she's not after all.

All in all, congrats to her and I wish her the best because I think her talent is freaking extraordinary and I love her to death.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#55re: Congratul;ations Charlotte D'Amboise
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:10pm

Yes-totally agree!
I liked her performance but it wasn't Tony worthy.
It was mildly entertaining.
Erin Davie and Barbara Walsh should have been nominated.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#56Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:44pm

I haven't seen D'Amboise perform Cassie - congratulations though are in order for anyone nominated.
But, there is a swipe at her, as Donna McKechnie won for best leading actress in a musical, but Charlotte is nominated for featured.

MyLife
#57Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:27pm

I disagree.. I just came back from seeing ACL tonight, and I thought Charlotte was better than ever. Remember, the category is "Best performance by a featured actress." It's not "Best SINGER." She may not have the bets voice but IMO her acting in that part is real and genuine. Her dancing is superb with what she was given, and she gets through the song (despite the shaking). Orfeh's acting does not bring such depth to that part, and I think you should be bashing her before Charlotte. Though, I don't think bashing anyone is useful because they were nominated for a reason. People saw something special and different in each nominee. Charlotte, dancing; Orfeh, comedy; etc. etc. People wanted Barabra Walsh to get a nominee. While I agree, I thought she was fantastic, there are inly 5 spots. Too bad the year was too competetive. For those of you who don't want Charlotte to win, root against her, but do not say she didn't deserve it, because she does just as much as the other four.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#58Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:24am

Okay, not to thread jack, but it is interesting to examine the fact that Donna won the Best Leading Actress Tony (if I'm not mistaken) and here Charlotte is up for Featured.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

irememberitwell
#59Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:02am

Yes Donna was leading because she was spectacular in the role and brought a great deal of electricity and drama to both her dance and the book scenes. It was a controversial nomination at the time, but the fact that McKechnie walked away with the award over Verdon and Rivera is a testament to just how moving she was in staking her claim to a second chance: in her dancing you could see the character's conflict and emotions, section by section. It wasn't the pyrotechnics of Rivera or the cuteness of Verdon, it was something that literally took one's breath away and hit you in the solar plexus. Charlotte's nomination is a nod to the character and effort, but while she was fine as Roxie, less so as Charity, she lacks the emotional range as an actress to pull off Cassie.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#60Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:54am

I find this thread very mean-spirited. Fits right in with the board.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#61Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/16/07 at 3:13pm

In all fairness, Cassie is an UNBELIEVABLY difficult role....I don't think it's exactly mean spirited to believe Charlotte is trying her hardest (and is OF COURSE insanely talented) but isn't quite up to snuff when it comes to this character.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#62Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/16/07 at 3:23pm

I loved Charlotte's performance and believe the nom is justified. She busts her butt in that show-emotionally and physically.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#63Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:47pm

Maybe Charlotte deserves a nod because of her career and her parallels to the character of Cassie, but her acting is nothing special and her singing is like nails on a chalk board. I would've preferred anyone else from ACL (but Jessica Lee Goldyn - please explain the appeal).

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#64Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:52pm

I haven't seen ACL [yet], so I can't say much about her being nominated. Congrats to her though. I am disappointed Barbara Walsh didn't get a nomination. As far as Erin Davie, I saw GG at the beginning of previews. I know a lot of changes have been made to Act 1... I hope they were changes that made her role better because it wasn't a very memorable performance to me.

::bust a move::

muscle23ftl
#65Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:45pm

I saw Erin in May and didn't find her performance memorable at all either. Im not saying she is not good, but honestly I paid attention to the other 2 actresses from the show. I didn't care about her, nor the little girls. The were just filling the 1st act.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#66Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:52pm

seriously...I thought she was the worst person in the cast.

and no nom for Kristin? I was really impressed by her. She proved herself as an actress to me in that role. Which is definitely harder than Charlotte's.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#67Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:04pm

Kristin would not have been in the same category as Charlotte.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

muscle23ftl
#68Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:07pm

I think Kristin was fantastic, yet, Cassie is a WAY harder role than Passionella, Eve, and the other characters from The Apple Tree, that by the way got nominated. Kristin has her Tony, so I doubt she is upset about not getting a nod. Charlotte has a very intense training, warm up, she goes to accupunture everyday, gets ice poured all over her body, I think that's what she told Broadway.com in an interview if Im not mistaken.
She truly deserves a Tony for this role, and her career on Broadway after all these years. Go Charlotte!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#69Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:21pm

Charlotte is a Broadway trooper and deserves the nod. I loved her performance and think she is an unsung heroine on the stage. I've seen her excel in so many shows and she never gets any props. Enjoy the nom, Miss Charlotte.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

stepkickkickleapkick
#70Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/18/07 at 12:12am

Mara Davi?! NO WAY!

Natalie Cortez is great but there was no way she was going to get a nomination over Charlotte.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#71Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/18/07 at 12:58am

I know Kristin isn't in the supporting..I merely meant I disagreed with many of the noms...

Man, I really should make my self more clear when I post!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#72Leading vs. Featured
Posted: 5/18/07 at 2:13am

This nomination should have gone to Natalie Cortez. She and the actor who played Bobby (Sorry! Don't know his name!) were my two favorite parts ACL. I really don't mean to bash, as I'm Ms. Ambroise is a wonderful performer, but I honestly got bored in the middle of her number. She must have been miscast, as everyone is saying.

Videos