HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#725HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:53am

carnzee said: "
"

There are people complaining?   Probably sourpusses that can't get a ticket. 

Pretty much. The complaints about Bette doing Bette and not Dolly mostly seem to come from folks who haven't seen it and are reacting to reports from those that have. Those who have seen her usually say she is playing Dolly, as well as delivering the "Divine "  persona. I mean, it doesn't have to be either or.
"

I certainly wasn't expecting her to come out in the mermaid tail and launch into her "BALLS!" routine, but I was surprised at how well that worked for Dolly Levi. The whole night was magic.   

Updated On: 4/19/17 at 12:53 AM

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#726HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 9:36am

I wonder if any thought has been given to have Harvey Firestein play Dolly, at least for a benefit.  I'm looking forward to seeing Donna Murphy play Dolly, but I would kill to see Harvey play her.  I think it would fit well on Bway currently with colorblind/gender casting.  While I would like to see it as a benefit, I'm sure the cost of making all those costumes to fit him would be $$$. Maybe next year at Broadway Backwards or MisCast.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#727HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:23am

I can't wait to read the official reviews tomorrow night!smiley

jonbrianblake2
#728HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 7:09pm

I think Harvey as Dolly would be terrific! I saw Lee Roy Reams in the role of Dolly a year and a half ago in Florida and the audience loved him! Went over great!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#729HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:46am

They stopped the show tonight to fix a sound problem?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#730HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:07am

It was directly after "I Put My Hand In" during Horace and Ermengarde's opening scene. It sounded like Melanie Moore's microphone wasn't working properly (I heard David Hyde Pierce just fine). They made an announcement, stopped the show for a few minutes to fix the sound issue, and then restarted their scene. Upon resumption, DHP banged on the drum and said "Damn" to which the audience cheered and applauded...and the remainder of the show continued on without a hitch. Tonight was my third time seeing it (3/15, 3/25, 4/19) and there have been minor tweaks made to many scenes (and it looked like Bette even had a new stunning dress for the hat shop scene...same color, with an added darker trim). Cannot wait to read the reviews tomorrow night. Hoping for across the board rave reviews. Congratulations to all involved in this glorious production. 

pandadude
#731HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:18am

I am buying tickets soon, I am very very afraid of heights, what's the balcony and mezz level like at the Shubert?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#732HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:24am

The view from the balcony is fine. The only warning is that you may have to lean forward a bit to see the portion of the stage that sticks out. But if that's all you can afford, it's worth it. Tonight, I paid $79 plus service fees for Balcony Row E, Seat 4 and both my Aunt and I felt that we UNDERPAID for the show. I have also seen it from the 4th row center front mezz at full price ($189 plus fees - the most I've ever paid for a show in my life) and it was a perfect view and worth every penny. 

godlessondheimite
#733HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:54am

WithoutATrace said: "It was directly after "I Put My Hand In" during Horace and Ermengarde's opening scene. It sounded like Melanie Moore's microphone wasn't working properly (I heard David Hyde Pierce just fine). They made an announcement, stopped the show for a few minutes to fix the sound issue, and then restarted their scene. Upon resumption, DHP banged on the drum and said "Damn" to which the audience cheered and applauded...and the remainder of the show continued on without a hitch. 

"

Same exact thing happened last night, right down to the pick-up spot.

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 07:54 AM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#734HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:52am

godlessondheimite said: "WithoutATrace said: "It was directly after "I Put My Hand In" during Horace and Ermengarde's opening scene. It sounded like Melanie Moore's microphone wasn't working properly (I heard David Hyde Pierce just fine). They made an announcement, stopped the show for a few minutes to fix the sound issue, and then restarted their scene. Upon resumption, DHP banged on the drum and said "Damn" to which the audience cheered and applauded...and the remainder of the show continued on without a hitch. "

"Same exact thing happened last night, right down to the pick-up spot.
"

You saw the same performance on the same date.

theatreguy12
#735HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:23pm

Don't tell Jerry Herman that.  Actually it has had a lot of performances on Broadway in its original and return engagements.  Which places it in a pretty good place in the annals of theater and testifies to its place in musical theater history.  And the music is pretty wonderful.  

It's okay to not have a personal like for the show, but I do think it would probably be considered up there when it comes to popular, famous musicals.  

As for being dated, that's just what it is.  When you revive a musical, the time period will come with it.  Be it the time period representative of the actual era of when it took its first bows on Broadway (RENT), or some past time period (as in Dolly).  

I do agree though that a charismatic star is preferred.  Just like good dancers are preferred in West Side Story, or the like.

poisonivy2 said: "I don't think Hello Dolly! is strong enough of a musical to survive without an extremely charismatic Dolly Levi. The storyline and jokes were dated even in 1964. Therefore I don't mind that Bette Midler is doing the Divine Miss M schtick. I mean it's a very enjoyable musical but I don't think it's in the top tier of American musicals.

"

theatreguy12
#736HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 1:35pm

It was actually pretty darned good with Carol Channing.  She may not be the megastar that Midler is (as a result of her concert/TV/movie history), but on Broadway Channing is a legend.  

When I saw the show in the early 90s with Carol, I guess it wasn't "necessary," but it's a super musical and was truly enjoyable from start to finish.  And seeing Channing was pure joy.

I don't disagree though that Midler, because of her recognizability outside of the theater community, will be a huge draw.  And her icon status will certainly generate a buzz in the nightly audiences.  That's to be expected.  In fact, it sounds like it even affords her the freedom to flub her lines on occasion and start and restart songs and still be met with sheer adoration by the audience by a simple turn to the audience and a "shut up."   Not so sure Bernadette Peters could get away with that.  

Midler's a rockstar.  And as Dolly she is definitely an event.   And the show sounds truly wonderful.

A great musical, with a dynamic personality at the helm.  I can understand why it's getting the reviews it is.

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "I don't think Hello Dolly! is strong enough of a musical to survive without an extremely charismatic Dolly Levi. The storyline and jokes were dated even in 1964. Therefore I don't mind that Bette Midler is doing the Divine Miss M schtick. I mean it's a very enjoyable musical but I don't think it's in the top tier of American musicals.

I agree with this completely. Before I saw the show this past Wednesday, I was only moderately familiar with HELLO, DOLLY! Other than the title song, my main exposure to it was from the movie WALL-E. My first impression was that I couldn't imagine seeing the show with anyone but a megastar like Bette Midler. Without her, this revival doesn't seem overly necessary, in my opinion. Also, a major part of why I enjoyed it so much was the contagious enthusiasm of the audience. I thought the rest of the cast was excellent, but they're not working with material that I consider on the same level as my favorite classic musicals. Having said that, I think the title number is exceptional, and I would pay to see it again. The dancing is also superb. On the whole, the show is so joyous that it provides a real antidote to the cynicism of the day, and that boundless exuberance just might be its greatest strength, in addition to Ms. Midler's performance.

"

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#737HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 2:08pm

The show is magic. Bette Midler does not play Bette Midler. She plays Dolly. Thank god because as Madame Rose in Gypsy she played Bette Midler. She rises to the ocasion. And she is backed up by an incomparable cast. It is truly a must see event.

I saw the Lee Roy Reames Hello Dolly and it was painful. He was so trying  so hard to play a real woman that he was not funny nor believable..   Lewis J Stadlen was fantastic in that production and stole the evening. Hello Horace anyone??

That god awful production with Lee Roy Reames versus Bette in Dolly is like night and Day.

Hosannas to Bette, Gavin Creel, Kate Baldwin (best I've ever seen her) Beanie Feldstein (what a delight) and David Hyde Piere who reinvents Vandergelder and makes it his own. Kudos to Jerry Zaks, Warren Carysle and the Entire Cast. Santo Loquasto improves on the original sets!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#738HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 2:18pm

Harvey Fierstein would be fantastic as Dolly Levi.  He actually wouldn't sound all that different from Carol Channing!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#739HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 3:11pm

"cha·ris·ma

k??rizm?/

noun

1. 1.

compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

"she enchanted guests with her charisma" "

Charisma is a defining attribute of Dolly.  Of course the actress playing her needs to convince as compellingly attractive and charming so as to inspire devotion. 

You can't have a good production of Hello Dolly with a leading lady who couldn't deliver that charisma.

But that in no way devalues Hello Dolly as a musical.

One can't persuasively argue that Hamlet wouldn't be a great play because it won't work with a leading man incapable of conveying profound uncertainty, a quick reflective and playful intellect, melancholy, and occasional if inopportune excitability. 

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 03:11 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#740HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:03pm

I can't remember the last time I was truly excited for an opening of a show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

theatreguy12
#741HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 4:37pm

Exactly.  I didn't put it into words in the succinct way you did, but that's why I was a little confused by the observation of another poster that suggested this musical doesn't have what it takes to stand on its own without a "charismatic" Dolly.  

You can have an uncharismatic Dolly, but it doesn't mean the show itself is bad.  Just the person they chose to portray Dolly isn't any good.

henrikegerman said: ""cha·ris·ma

k??rizm?/

noun

1. 1.

compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

"she enchanted guests with her charisma" "

Charisma is a defining attribute of Dolly.  Of course the actress playing her needs to convince as compellingly attractive and charming so as to inspire devotion. 

You can't have a good production of Hello Dolly with a leading lady who couldn't deliver that charisma.

But that in no way devalues Hello Dolly as a musical.

One can't persuasively argue that Hamlet wouldn't be a great play because it won't work with a leading man incapable of conveying profound uncertainty, a quick reflective and playful intellect, melancholy, and occasional if inopportune excitability. 

"

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#742HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 5:52pm

Charisma is one essential quality of a good Dolly but not just charisma of the sweet and adorable kind. Another essential quality of a great Dolly is that you often don't know whether you want to slap her or hug her.

Remember the original title out-of-town was "Dolly, A Damn Exasperating Woman."

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 05:52 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#743HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:30pm

Dollypop, I sure hope you were able to get a ticket to opening night.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#745HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:31pm

No more previewsHELLO, DOLLY! Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#746HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:32pm

Was this from last night?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#747HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:51am

Just noticed Universal is one of the producers for the show. i was wondering if it was in the realm of possibility that this revival could lead to a remake of the film with Bette. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Johntlew2 Profile Photo
Johntlew2
#748HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 7/17/17 at 6:16pm

I'll keep this brief.  I finally saw Dolly on 6/22/17.  I was lucky enough to get a seat in the second row. And I had the honor of shaking her gloved hand during the bows. A dream come true!!!!

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 06:16 PM

Cora Hoover Hooper Profile Photo
Cora Hoover Hooper
#749HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 7/17/17 at 6:20pm

In a word: WOW!

Videos