Unpopular opinions you hold

annenyc2
#775Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:03am

Bandstand is the best show this season

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#776Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/15/17 at 1:40pm

I think that deep-down Legally Blonde actually has a good show in there if one took away the cartoonish tone and stripped it down a bit and play the characters more naturally. I know it's popular for regional/school productions the way it is, but I think it could be substantively better. None of the Elles I've seen on video are grounded in the way they should be. I also feel ridiculous thinking about Legally Blonde this much.

Updated On: 8/15/17 at 01:40 PM

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#777Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/15/17 at 1:51pm

Stephanie should have won the Tony this year

Nycat63
#778Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/15/17 at 1:58pm

nightnic001 said: "Stephanie should have won the Tony this year

"Yes 100%. 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#779Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:51pm

Maybe I caught an off performance but I was not raving after leaving dear Evan Hansen I thought Ben Platt was great and and sang amazing but I don't know if I would call it a legendary performance like so many people are. He was excellent and really blew me away vocally,  but I've seen performances that I felt were just as good Cynthia erivo in The Color Purple for example I don't know maybe it would just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say that I feel like I'm probably in the vast minority in my feelings as everyone I know who seen it has had nothing but Raving reports to say about it

Darreyl with an L!

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#780Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/16/17 at 12:07am

darreyl102 said: "Maybe I caught an off performance but I was not raving after leaving dear Evan Hansen I thought Ben Platt was great and and sang amazing but I don't know if I would call it a legendary performance like so many people are. He was excellent and really blew me away vocally,  but I've seen performances that I felt were just as good Cynthia erivo in The Color Purple for example I don't know maybe it would just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say that I feel like I'm probably in the vast minority in my feelings as everyone I know who seen it has had nothing but Raving reports to say about it

This is kind of all over the place. You like it, you didn't like it? Last I checked Cynthia also won Leading Actor/Actress in a musical. You acknowledge he's giving a great performance just like Cynthia and they were both rewarded. Who cares about what other people think? An audience member is capable of making their own decision regardless of hype. 

Im confused. 

"

Audrey33
#781Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:32am

I agree. It's a great performance but I see performances just as good each season. I think a large part of it is how much he elevates the material. I saw his understudy and it was not good, the show really struggled without him in my opinion. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#782Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:57am

Gensho said: "darreyl102 said: "Maybe I caught an off performance but I was not raving after leaving dear Evan Hansen I thought Ben Platt was great and and sang amazing but I don't know if I would call it a legendary performance like so many people are. He was excellent and really blew me away vocally,  but I've seen performances that I felt were just as good Cynthia erivo in The Color Purple for example I don't know maybe it would just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say that I feel like I'm probably in the vast minority in my feelings as everyone I know who seen it has had nothing but Raving reports to say about it

This is kind of all over the place. You like it, you didn't like it? Last I checked Cynthia also won Leading Actor/Actress in a musical. You acknowledge he's giving a great performance just like Cynthia and they were both rewarded. Who cares about what other people think? An audience member is capable of making their own decision regardless of hype. 

Im confused. 

"

"

Exactly what I thought. If you put his performance in the same category as Cynthia Erivo, that makes it pretty amazing.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#783Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/16/17 at 11:12am

I should have explained. I felt all the hype he got was more than a lot of the other performers I saw who did just as great performances ,Cynthia Erivo for example. Like seriously, I felt he got way more exposure, and people gave him higher praise. I mean, he isn't God like people make him out to be. Lol. For the record, Cynthia , I felt was miles better then Ben. I've rarely seen someone escape into a a character like she did.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 8/16/17 at 11:12 AM

dunebuddy
#784Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:22pm

1.  I don't like Patti Lupone

2. Come From Away should have won over DEH

3. Hamilton is the definition of "extortion"

4. I am sick of "Gypsy:

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#785Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 12:22am

nightnic001 said: "Stephanie should have won the Tony this year

"

Absolutely this. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#786Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 4:45am

I'm rather divided on the Stephanie vs. Rachel debate.  I really felt like they both gave equally great performances, but because Stephanie's show closed in January, Rachel really ran away with the award (plus she should've won for Pippin).  In Stephanie's case, her nomination was her award.  I would also like to say that as a mother, Rachel's performance really struck me in my heart.  It's a moment that every mother understands and she plays it with such brilliant humanity.

Also, I liked Colella in CFA, but I still cannot understand why she posed any sort of threat to Block or Jones.

Also, CFA should not have been nominated for score.  That slot should have gone to War Paint.

Also, I really didn't want CFA to win Best Musical because I found the score so mind-numbingly pedestrian.  I know a lot of people were rooting for it, but, IMO, a musical should have to have at least a competent score to win Best Musical.

Also, Laura Osnes and Sierra Boggess are kind of really boring to watch onstage and I find it incredibly concerning that so many teenage girls idolize them and are copying their style.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#787Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:07am

dunebuddy said: "1.  I don't like Patti Lupone

2. Come From Away should have won over DEH

3. Hamilton is the definition of "extortion"

4. I am sick of "Gypsy:
"

LOL! I agree with all of your points, with the qualifier that, while I think Ms. LuPone is an abrasive woman, she does have a very good voice.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#788Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 9:58am

I thought Doll's House Part 2 read like a women's study PhD dissertation. The entire play was like Nora defending her thesis and various characters challenging her and her defending her thesis again. I can't believe that something that read like an academia discussion got so many plaudits.

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 09:58 AM

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#789Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 10:00am

Allistair Brammer's performance on the Miss Saigon 2014 concert recording is nearly unlistenable. That vibrato......

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#790Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 10:56am

I really thought the dialogue parts on the Bernadette Peters Gypsy cast recording made a case for her to NOT win a Tony. I'm sure she was much better live and I know she's a superlative actress from what I've seen of her, but I found those line readings on that recording all-around to be awful.

This may not be an unpopular opinion on this board, but it might be overall, but I thought out of the four nominees for Best Score (Wicked; Taboo; Avenue Q; and Caroline, or Change), Wicked was by far the worst score in both music and lyrics. I know Wicked gets some grief for its lyrics, but I think the music is just as bad if not worse and sounds really cheap at times.

I also think the Mamma Mia movie got a lot of needless hate for what it was. But then I have a very serious sentimental soft spot for it for external reasons.

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 10:56 AM

Harrisonmlewis Profile Photo
Harrisonmlewis
#791Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 4:18pm

I thought that Lin was really really terrible in Hamilton. While he is a genius creatively, I thought his acting and voice were way off in the role itself. I definitely don't think he should've gotten a tony nom and was really sad and frustrated when he got it over Benjamin Walker. 

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#792Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 6:29pm

I hate Laura Benanti's voice.

Likewise, I love Audra but don't understand the hype.

Tim Minchin is a lyrical genius and I've compared him to Sondheim more than once.

Hamilton is good but sounds exactly like In the Heights. I don't understand what makes it so incredible.

I don't know if this is very unpopular but Come From Away does nothing for me. I think it's cheesy and boring.

Miss Saigon is one of the best shows on broadway right now.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#793Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/17/17 at 7:05pm

Lot666 said: " Hamilton is the definition of "extortion"

I totally agree. Hamilton is a hodgepodge of disconnected scenes, almost like a parody of musical, constantly switching styles and ways of storytelling, mandatory dance here, head flip on the last chord to the audience there, affected speaking here, repeating the name of the title character 20 times there. The character strutting up and down the stage saying "my name is" followed by the ensemble "Yes, his name is". Totally uninspired chords. They step into all the pitfalls of a beginning amateur production.

It kind of makes me laugh, but it's just not that good.

dianamorales said: "

Miss Saigon is one of the best shows on broadway right now.

"
Miss Saigon is one of those shows where everything flows and makes sense. The perfect emotional and musically impressive rollercoaster. Even the connecting scenes (all those wonderful musical bits) are perfect. It's one of the most natural and consistent shows in terms of storytelling and the way the intentions, interactions, motives of characters and scenes fit the music. It's just unmatched in my opinion. A work of art from the first to the last moment.

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 07:05 PM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#794Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 4:59am

Sutton Foster is annoyingly cheery as a person. 

I am sick of Gypsy too, lol. 

Legit singing should come back to being the main staple of Broadway Music today, not this contemporary stuff. 

Spring Awakening has a great score, but too much  sexual humor in the book throws off the balance of the show. 

Andrew Lloyd Webber's scores are flawed, but still listenable. 

Laura Benanti's legit soprano is too stilted. 

Glinda is the more complex character in Wicked. 

Guy And Dolls has a great perfect score, but it isn't a fulfilling show in the end for me. 

A Chorus Line is pretty repetitive after a while, most of the characters are really annoying,  and One is just awful, sorry. And it's pretty dated. 

Follies is overrated. 

Victoria Clark's dialect in Light In The Piazza is grating and annoying to listen to and ruins her vocals for her songs. 

Anjelica being put on a pedestal in Hamilton as some intellectual  genius is annoying. 

Mandy Patinkin has one of the most annoying  singing voices I've ever heard. 

Updated On: 8/18/17 at 04:59 AM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#795Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 5:24am

givesmevoice said: "I love Laura Benanti as an actress, but I find the persona she puts forward through her social media so insufferable

I thought Cherry Jones should've won the Tony for Best Actress in a Play over Audra McDonald (who I actually just thought was in the wrong category). 

"

I completely agree! It's funny, but gets old! 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#796Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 5:36am

Randomlink1 said: "-I think Patti LuPone is actually a very nice lady, and that, while she does act like a diva at times, most of the time it's something that was deserved (like the Sunset Boulevard argument, in which Andrew really screwed her over. I don't think she's right about the thing about how he hates women, but I do think that she has significant reasons to be mad at him).

-I really don't like The Music Man

-I think that Into the Woods is a musical that's better crafted than Sweeney Todd.

-I think that Sondheim, while certainly a very good composer, can act like a complete asshole sometimes and might be one of the cattiest people I've ever seen (the guy submitted a letter to The New York Times surrounding all of his grievances with the revival of Porgy and Bess, while not having anything to do with it at all).

-I enjoyed the musical Beauty and the Beast, and believe that it was actually an attempt to tell a story instead of make a quick buck.

-I find Sondheim's tunes to be very hummable

"

Yeah, I agree- Pretty much every show he's done breaks ground by turning the source material completely on its head. And him banning Bobby from being portrayed as gay in Company? No, no, no. It's called different interpretations and variety. That's the point of revivals and doing shows over and over again. 

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#797Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 8:14am

Soaring29 said: "

Mandy Patinkin has one of the most annoying  singing voices I've ever heard. 

"

Although I recognize Patinkin's contribution to Broadway in originating various roles, I tend to agree with you.

Also, the Quast/Warlow version of Lily's Eye is superior in every way to the Westenberg/Patinkin version.

JIMG3
#798Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 4:09pm

I wholeheartedly agree with number three, dunebuddy.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I adore "Gypsy", and I'll throw in "Light in the Piazza" as absolute rubbish. 

Updated On: 8/18/17 at 04:09 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#799Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/18/17 at 4:40pm

As someone with social anxiety, I think Dear Evan Hansen does a terrible job at representing it, and I'm constantly annoyed with how Evan's problem in that respect just kind of magically disappears once he gets a girlfriend and grows popular at school. That's not how it works. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Videos