pixeltracker

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...- Page 4

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#75Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 11:41am

Can Nina Arianda belt?

If not, could we teach her to?

I'm just sayin...

THIS!!! Ugh, Nina would be so fantastic in terms of her acting and comic timing. If she could sing the role, she would get my vote.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#76Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 11:51am

In my opinion Lea Michele is the only "star" who would actually sell this show (and I'm not even sure for how long - 3 month limited run?). "Glee" has a huge fanbase and I do believe that people would buy tickets to see her perform in the show.

While many of the other choices (Benanti, Parker, Kritzer, Arianda, Menzel, Foster, etc) would probably be better in the role, none of them would sell.

I think this should be one of the main concerns of the producers investing.

PS: Gaga of course would sell out, but I doubt she would agree to doing it.

Jon
#77Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 12:04pm

So, last night on Glee, we were treated to Lea's second audition - even thought the song is NOT in the actual stage musical.

Talk about blatant campaigning...

Steel Pier Fan
#78Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 12:16pm

Got the resources use them! :p

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#79Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 1:32pm

Except Michele's 'My Man' was far better then her over sung 'Don't Rain on My Parade'

I might sound like a fanboy due to my user name, but if Idina Menzel was younger she'd be perfect for this.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#80Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 1:54pm

I don't get the argument that Lea Michele would sell more tickets.

The selling point is the show. The show is famous and the role is infamous. It's not like they're reviving Raisin. If the producers are smart, they would cast an unknown and build a whole campaign around the fact that out of hundreds (maybe even thousands) of actresses, THIS was the one they chose to bring Funny Girl back to the stage after over 40 years.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#81Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 2:42pm

OK, some defense for Ms. Michelle:
Her MY MAN was pretty great (auto-tuned or not, I mean it is TV and you use your resources to their advantage). And she can sing live, with the right coaching I believe she could sing the role. Her character on GLEE has been a Barbra fanatic from show one, (before any revival was planned) so it makes sense to emulate her and sing her songs. (Even if she picked them, which she may have some input, but she does not write the show)
And just because some people hate the show (and her) you are sorely underestimating the drawing power she would have from GLEE, it's an International Sensation.
And she certainly looks the role and is more age appropriate than laughable choices, O'Hara and Benanti.
Her TV series schedule will probably exclude her from the "mix",
but at this point she is the obvious best candidate, IMO.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#82Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 3:06pm

Not that I am a huge fan of Lea Michele but doesn't Rachel Berry graduate next season? I don't see how they will keep the present cast post high school graduation.

By the time Funny Girl come to fruition, Lea Michele could be available...she's seems to be the most appropriate although I don't know that she has the comedic chops for the role of Fannie Bryce.
Updated On: 5/18/11 at 03:06 PM

provocation Profile Photo
provocation
#83Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 3:19pm

Not that she'd do it, but I think the only person's voice that can even hold a candle to Barbra's is Shoshana Bean.Does she have the comedic chops? I'm not sure. But every time I see her perform, I can't stop watching her every move. This show needs a star like that.

I know, right?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#84Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 3:20pm

It's not like they're reviving Raisin.

Kinda wish they were...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#85Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 3:38pm

TOM, FUNNY GIRL comes to fruition at the Ahmanson in LA Feb. 1.
Not sure how that would wrok for Lea.

I think Shoshana is a good choice also.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#86Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 5:46pm

Lea's "My Man" was pretty great. I was kind of doing something else on the side while watching and when she got into the bigger part of the song she snapped me back into attention. Her singing, autotuned or not, sounded great. To me, it wouldn't be the end of the world i she was cast.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#87Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 5:50pm

Would love to see Stephanie Block play Fanny again. I did FG with her in LA back in 1993. I was the Production Tenor who sings "Beautiful Bride" to the showgirls, with Fanny entering very pregnant.

Time will tell as to who will ultimately get the role.

bwaylvsong
#88Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/18/11 at 7:20pm

IMO, Michele sounds better live than autotuned:
My Man (live)

North2009 Profile Photo
North2009
#89Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/19/11 at 5:56pm

Why revive this at all? Not a very good libretto and was tailored to Streisand during out-of-town previews. This will be pretty tough to pull off for anyone.

massofmen
#90Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/19/11 at 6:14pm

HA HA HA!!!! shoshana bean..thats a good one.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#91Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/19/11 at 8:29pm

Benanti, although hilarious and an amazing voice, seems much too traditionally beautiful to play the role.
I really wish that Donna Murphy were younger, I'd always seen her playing this role-- beautiful in a different way, great comedic and acting skills, and a good voice. Her talking about wanting to play Fanny Brice last week killed me. Anyway.
I would love to see Arianda in this role. She was fantastic in Venus In Furs and she's hilarious in Born Yesterday. A believable Brice in terms of appearance as well I think.

Allll that said, please god don't revive this.
Updated On: 5/19/11 at 08:29 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#93Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 9:06am

Thank god.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

The Pud
#94Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 2:05pm

The real Fanny Brice was had dark hair, Jewish, New York/Jersey girl, don't see Kelly O'Hara in the part. Polar opposite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Brice
Updated On: 6/11/11 at 02:05 PM

bwayfan7000
#95Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 2:09pm

I saw Woody Allen's new film "Midnight in Paris" last night, in which Arianda has a role, and all I could think the entire time onscreen was how much I'd like to see her in this role.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

The Pud
#96Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 2:20pm

You can listen to Fanny Brice sing for yourself, then think of someone you would like to see playing the part. Barbara Streisand had a much, much, better voice than Fanny. Comedy was Fanny's thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKivfzjQxOQ&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcH9Wdfo0IemGWND8xXwDUr

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#97Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 3:56pm

Benanti seems unlikely for the role, or at least isn't expecting to get it. She tweeted in response to someone lobbying for her to play the part that she doesn't think she can belt high enough for it.
Benanti's Tweet

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#98Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 4:12pm

Shall I just say what we're all thinking?

He'd better cast a Jew. Three and a half inch septum ONO.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#99Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 6/11/11 at 4:39pm

lull89, Benanti's vocal (and physical, IMO) inappropriateness notwithstanding, she has a television series shooting in Chicago that renders her unavailable anyway.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos