Titanic at City Centers

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#75Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 12:04am

ColorTheHours048 said: "Jackson McHenry’s review for Vulture is 100% spot-on, in my opinion:https://www.vulture.com/article/theater-review-encores-titanic-musical.html"

I like Titanic as a great, flawed work, but Jackson articulates my problems with it and with this production.

It desperately needs some focus, some side characters need to be scaled back, and some existing characters need more to do. (cut the Kates! reduce some of the Etches stuff! give more to the main trio and Barrett! Set up the Strauss's earlier!)

Had they been able to do it out-of-town originally, I have a feeling some of those book problems would have come into focus.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#76Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 11:39am

Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy and Chip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Tsao5
#77Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 2:41pm

Cut the whole Charles/Caroline story.  Excise it out. Most people I know don't even remember a few days after seeing it, what their story was (there is just not enough time to care at all about these two).  Heave 'em over! Let em' loose! Give the Strauss's a bit more. Give Kate/Jim a bit more (add 3 Days the song that was in the German production), have the Bellboy sing the reprise To Be Captain (not Etches....never understood why Etches had the reprise) and give all the the millionaires as a whole a few more lines. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#78Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 3:24pm

muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

I wouldn't expect anything less from you. To call it a "Great Production" "Great Show" and to leave at intermission is utter nonsense. 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#79Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 4:31pm

Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

I wouldn't expect anything less from you. To call it a "Great Production" "Great Show" and to leave at intermission is utter nonsense.
"

Can you please talk about the shows and not about me or what I say? Thanks!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

itsahopi
#80Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:02pm

Tsao5 said: "Cut the whole Charles/Caroline story. Excise it out. Most people I know don't even remember a few days after seeing it, what their story was (there is just not enough time to care at all about these two). Heave 'em over! Let em' loose! Give the Strauss's a bit more. Give Kate/Jim a bit more (add 3 Days the song that was in the German production), have the Bellboy sing the reprise To Be Captain (not Etches....never understood why Etches had the reprise) and give all the the millionaires as a whole a few more lines."

I love these ideas. Especially the Bell Boy reprise.

As mentioned before, I've been a fan of this show since I was a kid, but was always sort of aware of its faults (Ragtime succeeds where Titanic falls short). It definitely feels like a show that had its out-of-town on Broadway, when you discover how much everyone was cut down, but not entirely cut out. Charles and Caroline were once the central story, they had the most gorgeous duet and Charles sang all of We'll Meet Tomorrow. They could have held them as the anchor or cut them entirely, but instead, they fell somewhere in the middle, which doesn't help anyone. I wonder how the show would have taken shape had it premiered after the movie. Would they have completely pushed away a central love story or leaned in? Even at its best, Caroline and Charles aren't Jack and Rose. It's all very middle. They're middle class, but she's stepping down from first to be at his level, still the conflict is all very middle. I think the crew are probably the most compelling characters in the musical, and the most overlooked in the movie.

Updated On: 6/15/24 at 05:02 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#81Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:41pm

This is the first time I've heard "Drei Tage" from the Swiss production (thanks, Tsao5), and maybe it's the arrangement + not speaking the language but it sounds like something out of a different, more contemporary show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ujHJsL1uI

JSquared2
#82Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:15pm

muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

Great show! Great production! Left at intermission…???

JFC

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#83Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:17pm

muscle23ftl said: "Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

"

Can you please talk about the shows and not about me or what I say? Thanks!
"

Have I been mistaken all these years or isn't the point of this board to talk about what one says and their opinions?

Anyone please correct me if that is not the case.

One other thing you say is not to talk about you but you were the one to call me a "Troll" You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 6/16/24 at 06:17 PM

rg7759
#84Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 7:36pm

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion ONLY if they've watched the entire show. Watching half and then calling it bad is trashy. It's tony weekend and we're celebrating theater, which includes people who watch the whole show. Otherwise fall asleep watching it at home and don't waste taking a deserving patrons seat.

spicemonkey
#85Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 7:59pm

Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

"

Exactly, IIRC Muscle used to claim that Diana was the best musical ever, so I wouldn’t be surprised any of their comment (glad I blocked that account long time ago) 

MemorableUserName
#86Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 8:42pm

rg7759 said: "Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion ONLY if they've watched the entire show. Watching half and then calling it bad is trashy. It's tony weekend and we're celebrating theater, which includes people who watch the whole show. Otherwise fall asleep watching it at home and don't waste taking a deserving patrons seat."

Thanks for making me defend a poster I really don't want to, but, as pointed out multiple times now, he didn't call it bad. He said it was a great production and fabulous, but not for him. One act seems more than sufficient for someone to determine whether a show is for them.

Also, as someone who's been constantly checking the ticketing site and wondering why they don't implement dynamic pricing and lower the multitude of $205 seats to unload some of them, he wasn't taking a seat away from anyone. There are a ton available at every performance. It's not selling well. I'm sure NYCC is perfectly happy to take anyone's money for however long they wish to stay.

Updated On: 6/15/24 at 08:42 PM

theatergoer3
#87Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 9:25pm

Saw the opening night on Tuesday. 

A gorgeous score performed with incredible vocals but the show isn’t perfect.

It is quite busy and could use some focusing but it probably works best like this. 

Would love a recording/album but that’s a long shot. 

Updated On: 6/15/24 at 09:25 PM

bwayobsessed
#88Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/15/24 at 11:02pm

I just got out of the show. I have had no prior experience with the show. I agree with many posters here saying the show lacks focus and has too many characters. The score is rather glorious. In this edition when it hits the opening song’s finale and you get a wall of sound it’s really thrilling. I found myself slightly curious at certain moments in act 2 if I was missing things due to the concert staging. Overall I enjoyed it but agree that it’s an imperfect show. 

Owen22
#89Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:42am

No celebrity cameo at the Saturday matinee.

ELP
#90Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:31am

JSquared2 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Add me to the list of people who left at intermission. I was thrilled to see Ramin, Judy andChip once again, and they were great and the orchestra was to die for. A great production, it was fabulous, but it didn't engage me and I was bored. Great show, just not engaging enough for me. Too many slow songs, too slow for me."

Great show! Great production! Left at intermission…???

JFC

"

Please, if I may, I’d like to add: “the orchestra was to die for” and “it was fabulous” 🤔
Thank you

rg7759
#91Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:21pm

MemorableUserName said: "rg7759 said: "Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion ONLY if they've watched the entire show. Watching half and then calling it bad is trashy. It's tony weekend and we're celebrating theater, which includes people who watch the whole show. Otherwise fall asleep watching it at home and don't waste taking a deserving patrons seat."

Thanks for making me defend a poster I really don't want to, but, as pointed out multiple times now, he didn't call it bad. He said it was a great production and fabulous, but not for him. One act seems more than sufficient for someone to determine whether a show isfor them.

Also, as someone who's been constantly checking the ticketing site and wondering why they don't implement dynamic pricing and lower the multitude of $205 seats to unload some of them, he wasn't taking a seat away from anyone. There are a ton available at every performance. It's not selling well. I'm sure NYCC is perfectly happy to take anyone's money for however long they wish to stay.
"

You're entirely responsible for what you post, and my comment was clearly about no one in particular for fs sake

yyys
#92Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/16/24 at 2:05pm

I dozed off several times with this production  but I loved Bonnie Mulligan in this...

berniesb!tch
#93Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/18/24 at 1:36pm

Saw this again Sunday for the second time and immediately bought a ticket to closing. To each their own, but this is the most unmissable show in NY for me right now. Just splendid vocals and a magnificent orchestra. And I disagree with everyone - I love how the show has so many characters and did not find there to be a lack focus at all! I wish Conrad was able to be in this (But Jose is excellent!)

chrishuyen
#94Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/18/24 at 1:51pm

I thought this was great on Sunday.  Beautifully sung (and I hope we somehow get a recording out of this) and very simply staged.  I think it could've been more effective with a more expansive staging but I get that that wasn't the point.  Of course if I were to really think about it, there would be characters I'd cut/areas I'd trim down, but I love the score so I thought it was fun to just settle into it and let the events play out.  Either way, I still got a little teary and I'm considering a return trip again later this week.  

I was in the balcony, but I was actually impressed at how clear the sound was.  Usually the balcony there gets pretty muddled, but I could still make out just about all the lyrics, and of course that gorgeous orchestra.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#95Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/18/24 at 1:54pm

I'm glad I got to see this last Friday.  If I lived closer to the city, I would definitely see it again.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

JSquared2
#96Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/18/24 at 1:57pm

yyys said: "I dozed off several times with this production but I loved Bonnie Mulligan in this..."

Sounds like you may have a serious medical condition.  Have you consulted with a physician?  My nana was like that just before we had to "send her upstate to a farm"!

VintageSnarker
#97Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/21/24 at 1:32am

Count me in the group who was glad to finally see this staged but not impressed by more than the singing and orchestra. I did not realize just how stacked the cast was but they couldn't completely cover up the issues in the material. I don't necessarily need fewer characters but it's difficult to fully empathize with such a large group except as victims of a disaster at the very end... which didn't really require a whole show to get us there.

Alex Joseph Grayson was fantastic and Harold was one character than had a solid throughline. Same for Adam Chanler-Berat and basically everyone in the main crew. The tragedy of their characters carried through much stronger than the stories of the passengers for me. Ramin sang the hell out of his songs (even with a fluctuating accent) but I couldn't be that moved by a faceless potential fiancée. The trio of Andrews, Ismay, and Smith provided drama but it didn't feel earned. As they were laying blame, I was just thinking about Into the Woods. None of the romances overstayed their welcome but it made all the couples' issues seem pretty inconsequential. I don't mind having all that sprinkled in but I would have liked some more biting commentary to give it focus.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#98Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/21/24 at 9:24am

VintageSnarker said: "Count me in the group who was glad to finally see this staged but not impressed by more than the singing and orchestra. I did not realize just how stacked the cast was but they couldn't completely cover up the issues in the material. I don't necessarily need fewer characters but it's difficult to fully empathize with such a large group except as victims of a disaster at the very end... which didn't really require a whole show to get us there.

Alex Joseph Grayson was fantastic and Harold was one character than had a solid throughline. Same for Adam Chanler-Berat and basically everyone in the main crew. The tragedy of their characters carried through much stronger than the stories of the passengers for me. Ramin sang the hell out of his songs (even with a fluctuating accent) but I couldn't be that moved by a faceless potential fiancée. The trio of Andrews, Ismay, and Smith provided drama but it didn't feel earned. As they were laying blame, I was just thinking about Into the Woods. None of the romances overstayed their welcome but it made all the couples' issues seem pretty inconsequential. I don't mind having all that sprinkled in but I would have liked some more biting commentary to give it focus.
"

The book was always the weakness with Titanic. It did win Best Book of a Musical at the Tony Awards but it was a very weak year. I would have given both book and win to The Life.

Nominees were Titanic, The Life, Steel Pier and Jekyll and Hyde

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#99Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/22/24 at 12:11am

I saw this tonight. I think this might have been my favorite Encores production. It fits the criteria of Encores shows of the past: revisiting a hard-to-produce musical or a flawed show with a fantastic score, and presenting it concert-style with the best singers and musicians in NYC. I honestly have nothing bad to say about the whole evening. The direction was some of the best I’ve seen at Encores; it felt like a staged concert without aspirations of a full production, unlike the majority of Encores shows as of late. While a full production would indeed be nice, I hope they at least try to get a recording out of this. I would love a more complete recording, and this cast is wonderful.

I don’t know when we’ll ever get Titanic at this scale again, so I really urge the people on the fence to grab a ticket to see it this weekend.

Videos