What revival are we ready for?- Page 4

What revival are we ready for?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#75re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:14pm

i have to chime in and say HAIR also
it's nice to see that people still have some affection toward this show
i would also love to see a full scale revival of bacharach and david's "promises, promises" - i was fortunate enough to see the ENCORES concert staging and it's such a good show, it hasn't been on Broadway since it left
i would also love to see "a chorus line" return, nyc was never the same again to me after that show closed
im happy about the upcoming "west side story" revival - we need a strong classic legendary musical represented on the Great White Way to remind us what Broadway is really all about. . .
and i would also love to see a full scale revival of "dreamgirls" - this show has a special place in my heart because it's the show responsible for opening up the whole world of musical theater to me.
Updated On: 1/2/05 at 06:14 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#76re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:17pm

I would love to see Laura Benanti take on Dot in SUNDAY.

A possible problem with Audra actually playing Dot in the show - and please, don't think I'm being racist this is just true speculation! Since she's the main character of the insanely famous (real) painting, the woman in the painting is clearly not African-American. Despite Audra's brilliance, that would be a problem. The cast takes on the pose of the painting, in flies the painting, and we see a white woman - it's just not logical. Also, in france at that time a world famous artist would not be seen or known to have a relationship with an African American woman - it would have been frowned upon and I doubt his paintings would have been as successful then. This is just speculation - if they find a way to work it out, bring her on - I adore Audra's voice, and her acting is truly brilliant.

But still, Laura Benanti.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#77re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:20pm

You can't be considered a racist for making a great point, munk.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

maybethistime
#78re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:23pm

west side story has actually been revived twice, once only 4 years after the closing of the original, the next time, almost 20 years later, was the one w/ debbie allen

bwayballerina
#79re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:25pm

I would love to see West Side Story revived.
Others:
Sweeny Todd
The King and I (though wasn't it revived fairly recently?)

And could they please wait until I'm done with college?
So I can play Anita, Mrs. Lovett and Anna :)

senortenor Profile Photo
senortenor
#80re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:25pm

Oliver (only cuz I have a certain penchance for this show as it was my acting debut!)

West Side Story

Carousel

The Secret Garden

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#81re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:28pm

i don't consider your comment racist munk
i do see where you are coming from
would audiences be as accepting of idina menzel if she took on the role of (for arguments sake) - "miss saigon"?
it would be interesting to read what other people think on this subject, but that would be better left for another thread.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#82re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:29pm

I think it's too soon for Carousel and The King and I - there was a sudden surge of R&H revivals and now there's none left to revive, or worth reviving. I'm still looking forward to SOUTH PACIFIC.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#83re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:34pm

Veuve,

I had a problem with all three "divas" at the Dreamgirls concert, though I've loved all three in other shows. McDonald did her best to scale back her operatic training but her Deena still had way too much vibrato and was too "musical theatre" for an authentic Motown sound (Sheryl Lee Ralph had almost no vibrato at all and sang the role mostly "straight tone" which is ideal for the character). Hedley simply didn't have the high belt to do Lorrell and her "Ain't No Party" was just painful. And while Lillias had some nice moments (her "I Am Changing" was sublime) she generally sounded less than stellar that night (her "I'm Not Going" was a disappointment). The CD of the concert is valuable for the fact that it's our only official record of that entire incredible original score -- too bad that Holliday, Devine, Ralph, Derricks et al didn't get a chance to preserve their brilliant original performances.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#84re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:50pm

I agree completely, Margo.

While the concert CD is valuable, I can't stand to listen to it because of the cast, and always put on the OBC when I'm in the mood for a little DREAMGIRLS.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#85re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:55pm

Dreamgirls and Pippin. Thats all I need to be fully happy forever.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#86re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 7:03pm

Interesting and understandable comments regarding Dot -- I do have to say -- being at the Ravinia concert -- (granted it was semi-staged concert) -- the close of act one and race really did not seem to have an impact on the power of the piece -- something my friends and I talked in the car back to the hotel...as I think about it more, in a fully staged production the comments/opinions made here make sense -- but I have to go back on record -- Audra sang the hell out of the score and her acting (especially Act II) was terrific...I do like LB as a possible Dot -- very much...

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

BWayBoy88
#87re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 7:04pm

A Chorus Line
Pippin(with Michael Arden of course)

Ebonic_Singer
#88re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:03pm

I agree with the A Chorus Line-ness!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#89re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:15pm

i agree with Margo and the rest who've stated that the concert cd version of "DREAMGIRLS", although a valuable document that preserves the show and it's score in it's entirety leaves alot to be desired "performance-wise".

audra had way too much vibrato and not enough of the "silky smooth pop sound" the role of "deena jones" calls for, so i was a little put off.

heather headley was literally straining to reach the heights of lorell's "aint no party" and it is for the most part a "a painful listen"

i heard rumours that billy porter wasn't in the best voice and actually had to go back in studio and re-record some of his stuff.

lillias white did a knock 'em dead rendition of "i am changing" but i've seen and heard her do "and i am telling you" so much better than she did that night.

Updated On: 1/2/05 at 08:15 PM

UnsaneLily87
#90re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:19pm

Pippin. With the love of my life Michael Arden. That's all that it takes for me to be a happy woman.

MargoChanning
#91re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:24pm

I was at the Dreamgirls concert and, yes, Billy Porter was sick that night (but gave it his all). Very raw sounding (which sort of works for Jimmy) but he did indeed have to go back in the studio to re-record some of his vocals.

Lillias, oddly, sounded nervous and almost self-conscious as Effie that night and the pressure to deliver a definitive "I'm Not Going" seemed to overwhelm her in the first act -- however she nailed most of the music in Act Two very well (though I still missed Jennifer).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#92re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:31pm

Billy Porter seemed to be sick (or something) at the recent Jason Robert Brown concert as well...His higher singing was just raw and raspy and I was kind of worried for him.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#93re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:35pm

Margo, I think that the biggest problem with Lilias is that she's utterly wrong for Effie in the first act. Her world weary attitude worked for "I Am Changing," but she was never convincing as a young girl from Detroit. She projected way too much intelligence, maturity, and self-awareness.

While she may have felt pressure to deliver a definitive "And I'm Telling You...", I don't think she has it in her.

Holiday actually was, to a large extent, Effie. She was a frightened nobody who made it big on Broadway at an extraordinarily early age. (Oddly enough, she suffered a huge amount of character bleed with Effie after DREAMGIRLS opened, and began to behave in real life exactly the same way that Effie did in the show). But that lack of self-awareness is what made her Effie so devestating.

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#94re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 8:37pm

Rent.

Close it, rework it, and open it with a non-stunt cast.

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#95re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:38pm

Sweeney Todd
SITPWG
Merrily We Roll Along
Anyone can Whistle
Evita
South Pacific
Funny Girl
Dreamgirls
Hello, Dolly!
ACL
The Last five Years (it needs to be more well known! c'mon it's one of the best scores writtne this millenium!)

Phantom487
#96re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:46pm

When "Hello Dolly" was first written, Jerry Herman said that it was the perfect American musical, and it was to be revived every 10 years so all generations to come can enjoy it. Well the last revival was in 1994... so were due for another!!! And like munkustrap said, Carol Channing has to do a "farewell" tour of it before she dies!!!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#97re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:47pm

-Jesus Christ Superstar finally done right.
-Tell Me on Sunday (or at least a tour so I can see it)
-HAIR

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#98re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 9:59pm

Regarding Audra as Dot, I don't think it would be a big deal, personally, if she played the part. I honestly don't think it would be a problem to change the color of the woman in the painting. Big deal. And since there's nothing regarding race in the show, the race of the performers doesn't really matter. You can't cast a white Effie, for instance, because that show has much to do with her being black.

And speaking of Dreamgirls, I agree that Lilias just isn't right for the part. Her I Am Changing was VERY good though. She also was way too old to play that part. I've always wanted to see an all-white cast of Dreamgirls (though it wouldn't work b/c of the race issues) like the all-black Hello, Dolly and Guys and Dolls. Not a full production, but a concert or something. It would take someone with a TON of guts to produce that though.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

BwayLeadman
#99re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 10:11pm

THE WIZ should "Ease on Down" to Broadway, and pretty soon!
MUSIC MAN should also come back.

And of course:
Step, Kick, Kick, Leap, Step, Touch - Again!
Chorus Line!

Videos