Annie
Annie, Get Your Gun!
Music Man
Cats

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#76re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:24pm

Sound of Music (I'm doing it right now, and I've realized it's a boring ass show.)
Man of La Mancha (I like a few songs, but it's the only musical I ever fell asleep during.)
The Music Man
Grease

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#77re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/26/06 at 11:17pm

Bye Bye Birdie.

Carousel, although I love the music.

Oklahoma

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

justagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
#78re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/26/06 at 11:36pm

How'd I forget Bye Bye Birdie? Don't even get me started on that one.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#79re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:21am

This thread is sad and depressing. How some of you can say some of these shows don't do anything for you either A)are way too jaded , B)very ignorant, or C)just plain not bright enough to understand them. I'm also willing to bet that those of you who are saying Rodgers and Hammerstein shows and Kander and Ebb shows and Lerner and Lowe shows are dull or don't do anything for you squeal with the mere mention of the name Idina.

I TRULY hope that most of you are not anticipating jobs in the theater if some of our best works "leave you cold"

I will not be checking back on this thread because the thread is so depressing, so flame away.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#80re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:29am

NOw, I don't thonk that that's a fair statement.

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but it is a perfectly valid point to not feel anything for a classic. Before it was a classic, there were people who didn't like it. Now there are people who don't like it.

Also there is a difference between not liking, or 'feeling' something, and not appreciating it/ understanding what it has done for theatre.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#81re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:31am

"This thread is sad and depressing. How some of you can say some of these shows don't do anything for you either A)are way too jaded , B)very ignorant, or C)just plain not bright enough to understand them."

That statement is just plain DUMB. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, whether or not they coincide with yours.
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 12:31 AM

C is for Company
#82re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:42am

jason, I do hope you realize what you wrote on the 1st page half a year ago contradicts the point you try and lay on the rest of the thread. Your most recent point means nothing to me after reading what you said on the 1st page.

alwy15
#83re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:28am

back on track....
i think wonderful town really sucks.

#84re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:41am

- Oklahoma
- Annie
- Fiddler on the Roof Updated On: 7/27/06 at 01:41 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#85re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:58am

All this thread proves is what I have always said: No matter how good a show is, certain people will not like it no matter what

Poster Emeritus

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#86re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:29am

Okla-frickin-homa!

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#87re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:34am

cats
Phantom of the Opera
Bye Bye Birdie
Sound of Music
Starlight Express
Les Miserables
Seven Brides(yes i know it flopped in states but it wont stop bloody touring over here)
Grease
My Fair Lady(play is a lot better)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#88re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:37am

CATS
CATS
CATS
CATS
CATS

Poster Emeritus

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#89re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:41am

Hello Dolly
A Chorus Line
Annie Get Your Gun

Christoph
#90re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 11:08am

A lot can depend on the quality of the staging and the cast involved. I have seen more than one version of the same show and the quality can vary from horrible to brilliant depending on the staging and those involved. One bad casting decision in a pivotal role, for instance, can annihilate many shows. The following are my choices (some of them may not be considered classics by all), but keep in mind that this does not necessarily mean all versions of the shows in question are bad.

GREASE (I saw the revival and it just seemed so cheesy)

THE KING & I (I saw a touring version with Yul Brynner. I loved him, but the show as a whole bored me stiff. Ironic, since I adore the film version).

THE SOUND OF MUSIC (The revival with Rebecca Luker never ever seemed to come to life).

FOSSE (I never realized how repetitive Fosse's choreography was until I saw these bunch of plotless skits tacked together, although the rousing Sing!Sing!Sing! finale was an exception. Either they picked repetitive examples or his choreography works infinitely better within a plot.)

DREAMGIRLS (Saw a touring version with, according to my friend and chronic Dreamsgirls fan, "the worst Effie that ever trod the boards." Liked some of the music, but ended up despising the show as a whole largely because of her)

MAN OF LA MANCHA (I have seen three different versions. If you are lucky enough to get a truly dynamic leading man, it is fine. Otherwise, the musical falls to pieces.)

RAGTIME (Loved the book, loved the movie, utterly despised the musical!)

SOUTH PACIFIC (Love the music. I have seen four versions of the show. Three of them bored me to tears, but I got the opportunity to see the London version with Philip Quast and for the first time, that lavish staging just blew me away. All others have paled in comparison.)

SWEENEY TODD-2005 REVIVAL (Seen several versions of the show and loved them all until the much-heralded recent revival. If this were my only exposure to it, I would never have developed the appreciation for it that I had from the previous productions. Rabid fans can invent all the superlatives they want, but no one can ever make me appreciate the awkward, distracting and off-putting device of watching the small cast having to sing, act, stumble over their instruments to double as the chorus/orchestra and break character to move the handful of props around the stage as glorified scenery movers. Also, Ms. LuPone seemed incredibly bored when I saw it.)

BYE BYE BIRDIE (Pleasant, but thoroughly forgettable and overrated. It seems to become more inconsequential over time.)

BELLS ARE RINGING (A perfect example of a show that did not age well at all and remains stuck in its own time zone. Saw it at the end of its run and Faith Prince seemed to have lost any enthusiasm she may have had for the central role, which did not help matters.)

ANNIE (I enjoyed both the maligned John Huston film and the TV version with Kathy Bates. Saw the revival with Nell Carter and was like "Is that it?" Not bad, but nothing spectacular.)

THE LION KING (Without a doubt the worst thing I have ever endured on Broadway. Even the children in our group hated it. Were those moth-eaten Thanksgiving Parade rejects that passed for costumes really that impressive to so many? Quite literally the only show where I left before the curtain calls - something I NEVER do. I honestly felt violated.)

HeartandMusic
#91re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 11:50am

The Fantasticks

ThankstoPhantom
#92re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:18pm

Jasonf-don't be a hypocrite.

Saying we can't dislike some of the classics is the same as saying we can't dislike some of the modern shows. Why must we feel like every classic is immaculate to be 'true theatre fan?' I think that's a poor statement.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#93re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:51pm

I'm surprised at the number of people who say Oklahoma left them cold. I always thought I was alone in my indifference toward Oklahoma.

Now Carousel I really dislike! Some of the songs are wonderful as stand-alone numbers, but the show loses me with Billy's character. I despise Billy! He ruins the whole show for me!
Updated On: 7/29/06 at 12:51 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#94re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:58pm

I've never seen "Oklahoma" onstage; maybe I'd like it better there. My parents saw and liked it.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, it's not that I think it's a BAD movie; I just don't find it compelling.

mustard
#95re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:59pm

OKLAHOMA - it's pure torture

South Pacific - not as bad as Oklahoma, I like a few scenes, but overall, boring

show2n2 Profile Photo
show2n2
#96re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:00pm

I agree with the legions of choruses of Camelot. I love some of the music, but the show itself, enh.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#97re: Classics that leave you cold
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:12pm

Two shows that leave me cold, and I can't see why they are so popular WEST SIDE STORY and (though not a "classic") LES MISERABLES.

Videos