pixeltracker

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006- Page 4

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006

amcchemist Profile Photo
amcchemist
#75re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:18pm

wickedrentq, I saw posted on whatsonstage.com that Michael Ball was out of the show indefinitely and telling fans not to plan any trips to NY to see Ball in the show. This was before I saw any announcements about WIW closing.

I was able to see the show in London and liked it, but never thought it was a really strong show. For me, my favorite parts were the Fosco sections, though I saw it originally with Michael Crawford, who I really loved in that role - especially Fosco's last solo and duet with Marian. It took some time to get used to the projections. And I did quite frankly get tired of hearing about the secret - a little too repetative on that one. But I did enjoy it, even with the faults it did have. However, I am very surprised it is closing so soon. Didn't think it was THAT bad. And, while the show may not have had any big names that were very recognizable here in the states, at least with tourists, I would think that news that the leads were out and understudies were constantly performing had to have had a negative effect. While most of us have seen some excellent performances by understudies (and even some bad ones), your theatrically uneducated Joe Average would see constant understudy performances negatively. Me, I just love good theater - wish I could make it to NY to enjoy more. While I may in some cases want to see a particular actor, I enjoy a good performance, doesn't matter who it is.

Best wishes to the cast. And lots of good thoughts and vibes sent to Maria and Michael. I got to meet and talk with Maria at the stage door in London. She's a wonderful lady, very friendly and seemingly down to earth. All the best to her. I hope she graces a Broadway stage again very soon.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:21pm

What did not help is the first 12 rows - Premiun Seating - @ $ 250 a pop ?

How many people walked away when they heard that? It would have been a minor factor but a factor nonetheless

Poster Emeritus

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#77re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:24pm

A real shock. Personally, I never cared for many Webber works, and this really was the first show of his in a long time (NOT a Phantom fan) that I really enjoyed. Great performances, suspenseful, visually stunning. I found myself really enjoying it, in spite of itself, and I took my family when I went a second time, and they loved it too!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#78re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:26pm

>>>What did not help is the first 12 rows - Premiun Seating - @ $ 250 a pop ?

WOW. I hadn't a clue -- I had last row mezzanine seats, and in order to fill up the house, I sat in row G (at no extra cost). They must have been hurting for a while then, I saw it 12.04.05.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#79re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:42pm

"I call it the Michael Crawford connection. DOTV bombed & this with Crawford in it in london closed early & now closes here."

Huh?

That's a stretch.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#80re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:52pm

Not that suprised due to its recent numbers and illness problems, and I think they did a pretty bad job marketing the show.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#82re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 12:09am

Wonder if the use of projections as opposed to scenery ( on such a massive scale in WIW)will continue or will the idea die here & now

Crawford connection is as follows: Crawford was in DOTV a hyped show & it bombed. He was in WIW in London & it closed prematurely. The show also closes prematurely here. Just a quirky little thought is all it was

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/4/06 at 12:09 AM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#83re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 12:17am

Boys and girls hop on ticketmaster now....if you use the playbill code they will sell you the premium seats for 65 dollars.

i am in Row G on saturday the 4th at the mat. !!!!!!!

Sad this show is closing because it is soooo good.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#84re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 12:37am

Get ready for a few more quick closings, just look at the grosses if you want to know which ones!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#85re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 12:47am

anyone notice that the Nederlanders have a sold out show in San Diego and need a theatre in NYC
a Theater which they own
duh?

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#86re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 1:59am

"I call it the Michael Crawford connection. DOTV bombed & this with Crawford in it in london closed early & now closes here."

Huh?

That's a stretch.

I've got to agree, Sally. Putting any kind of blame on Michael Crawford is just ridiculous. (He attended the record breaking performance of "Phantom". I suppose that'll be the next show to close!)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

kec Profile Photo
kec
#87re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 3:08am

"Crawford connection is as follows: Crawford was in DOTV a hyped show & it bombed. He was in WIW in London & it closed prematurely. The show also closes prematurely here. Just a quirky little thought is all it was "

The London production opened in September 2004. It is closing at the end of this month. I would hardly call closing 1 1/2 years after opening "premature." Nor would I blame Crawfor for its closing, since four men (Michael Ball, Anthony Andrews, Simon Callow and whoever is there now) have played Fosco since he left.

The news about the Broadway closing has saddened me greatly. My love for the show itself aside, I thought the New York Cast was absolutely amazing.

I wish everyone in the cast all the best, and get well wishes to both Maria and to Michael.
Updated On: 2/4/06 at 03:08 AM

Rentaholic2
#88re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 3:48am

Haven't seen the show, so can't judge...
But, I personally think the show just lacks appeal. I mean, the stereotype of ALW is that all his lavish music sounds the same, and the image that WIW puts out does not offer much hope of breaking that stereotype. Unless you are a fan of the book, you look at it and see that it is some type of Victorian mystery involving a ghost, lavish period costumes, and an uninteresting logo (sounds like Bizaro World Phantom). Nothing about it suggests this is something unique for ALW. I think the reason Phantom, Cats, and Evita were so successful was that they each had a unique look, feel, and story/characters. Whereas Sunset Blvd., WIW, Aspects of Love, etc. just don't have anything that makes a non-Broadway loving audience interested (besides prior interest in a book or movie).

IMO, it just goes to show how much of a shows box office success (with tourists, etc.) depends on how well the show is marketed. The most successful shows on Bway (Phantom, LK, Wicked, Les Mis, Cats, Rent, etc) have that X factor: just by seeing a simple picture and hearing a very little bit about the show, the tourist-type can get interested.

sharon1
#89re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 5:04am

I , too, love this show as I have said in numerous posts. I am so glad I got to see Maria Friedman and Michael Ball together. She "is" Marian and he will always be "Count Fosco" to me. The second act "seduction" is true musical theatre on all levels. I hope these two brilliant performers can find their way back to our shores when they get healthy again. I wish Maria the best in her next battle. And I hope Michael gets over this awful virus so he can wow us again with his wonderful voice.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#90re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 6:41am

Mr Roxy - Crawford's not in the London show anymore, and hasn't been for sometime. I think he only did the initial stint. It's also been done by Simon Callow, and is currently David Burt (who?). I think blaming the demise of the show on a man who's not been in the London show for about a year is coming it a bit strong.

bwayondabrain
#91re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 6:55am

sorry if this sounds stupid, but is this more of a flop than Bombay Dreams? That had ALW backing. Or was the budget not as large? He lately hasnt had very lasting musicals...

ThankstoPhantom
#92re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 8:52am

Bombay dreams lasted twice as long, if not a wee bit longer.

Again, the stars thing. We need to start teaching average joes that understudies are not bad things. The January 14 8pm show was sold out, with Dabiel Marcus as Count Fosco. It was his first day/second show in the role and he was brilliant. The audience went wild for him.

But I think it was, a shas been mentioned, the awful publicity. There was like none exceptr for the Marquis' marquees and advertisements in magazines. They should've been on the Today Show, The Late Show, et cetera. It'd unfortuante because they weren't able to put themselves out there.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

bdwybug55
#93re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 8:56am

This is very sad indeed...this was a very quick run. I can't believe that things like "Bombay Dreams" and "Good Vibrations" lasted longer (how long did "In My Life"). It wasn't my favorite show but I feel it definitely had much more artistry and artistic merit to warrent a much longer run....and what a terrific cast all around. Here's to the cast and crew!

#94re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 9:57am

I'm so disappointed... I had tickets to see it during my NYC visit in March. Sigh. Best of luck and health to Michael and Maria though.

~Rosalynn

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#95re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 10:26am

I was looking forward to seeing Michael Ball when I went and was somewhat disappointed he was out. Maria Friedman was great, but I would have gone back to see Judy Kuhn do the role. Jill Paice and Adam Brazier were both outstanding. It's a shame it's closing so soon.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 2/4/06 at 10:26 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#96re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 10:31am

muscle23ftl and I will be there on February 18th at 2pm to see it one last time. It will be my fourth time seeing it. So sad. It was a great show.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#97re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 10:56am

I was in the Palace Theatre during the fit-up/ load-in (in London). I thought, 'this is gong to be a massive hit'- it looked like it had so much potential, (and I loved the circular lighting rig). Whoops, got that one wrong.
ALW and Victorian ghost story- it seems an obvious hit, especially with the tourists. Maybe the illness has taken the energy out of the campaign?
I have to say I was massively disappointed with the show- such a superficial treatment: LitP seems like Shakespeare by comparison. And the projections were never right for the Victorian setting.
I am surprised ALW's vanity doesn't see him pump in cash till Tony time, though. Maybe he can't bear the damn projections any more.
Is this another show where the set kills the production?

tagiunagi
#98re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 11:14am

I wouldn't say the marketing for the show was a complete disaster. I heard commercials on the radio and I saw adds on the buses in addition to the other marketing techniques mentioned previously. Musicals are rarely showcased on the talk show circuit unless the shows are Tony winners or nominees and clearly we are not at that point yet. I think the exceptions this year have been Jersey Boys, which I believe was taped on the Today Show and the Color Purple which obviously got help from their big sis, Oprah. The Light in the Piazza's marketing is no way near as expansive as WiW with the exception of the poorly designed TV commercial that played for about 2 weeks. Piazza is still doing well.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#99re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 11:41am

This really makes me angry! The show is one of the most intelligent and entertaining things I have seen in a long time.

What really bothers me is that this wonerful show closed because it doesn't have women screaming while painted green and "flying." The show is too intelligent for New York audiences, which is sickening being one myself.

From now on I wish producers will understand that if it doesn't ahve people flying, people dressed as animals, and horrible pop songs, a show will fail.

Wow I need to go vent!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Videos