Tony Snub Gripe Thread

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#75re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:12pm

Very happy about Kron and Houdyshell's nominations, but no Best Play nod? Yeesh.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#76re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:15pm

What happened to the women of Threepenny Opera? I enjoyed Cyndi's performance and while I was expecting her to be nominated, I think it was just wishful thinking. Regardless, Nellie McKay got the best notices of all the performers in that show (save for Jim Dale) and expected her to be nominated.

Dominic Cooper's snub is a big shock. It seemed that he got more attention for the play than Samuel Barnett (who I am thrilled got nominated).

Others:
Amy Spanger
Cherry Jones
MARIA FRIEDMAN (she was breathtaking, no matter how long her show lasted...which was no longer than Chita's)
Brian O'Byrne (I would've expected him to be nominated over Oliver Platt.)

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#77re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:20pm

I won't deny I'm a bit sad David Turner was long forgotten.

touchmeinthemorning
#78re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:22pm

Munk, who gets the Lisa Kron spot, in your mind?

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

#79re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:27pm

"Really pissed that Chita got a nomination for playing herself whereas Laura Benanti and Maria Friedman got snubbed."

But Benanti and Friedman aren't interesting as themselves OR as the characters they might have been nominated for re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#80re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:11pm

Brian O'Byrne (I would've expected him to be nominated over Oliver Platt.)

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that Brian was overlooked. Although I guess it could be because Brian's role is based more on silences and broken dialogue while Oliver's role was essentially a running monologue in a lot of places. When comparing the 2, Oliver's role seems to dominate more.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#81re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:21pm

Though I wrote this on another thread im to lazy to type a new thing.

m so glad they didnt snub Mano! Im confused by the technical nominees though. Lestat for costumes but not for lighting? Being a fan of this show, the reason I liked it so much was its lighting. I actually didnt care to much for the costumes they didnt stand out for me. I think that Lesat was a lock for its brilliant lighting and im just rather mad/confused towards its costume nominee.

Also (once again a Lestat/Hugh Panaro loving bias) but why is not nominated but Carolee Carmello is. Yes her perfromance is good but he never leaves the stage! He has such a demanding role and yet Stepen Lynch gets the noination instead (asuming all 4 others were locks). Panaro would not have won (Cerveris will) but he at least deserves recognition after all hes done!

finally, wherre is Cyndi Laupers name? I cant find it on the list. Is my computer making the mistake? No, no I think its the tony comitee yet again. Cyndi Lauper is making her debut in a brilliant performance and she has no nomination. Now the Threepenny nominee for actors is Jim Dale. No leads, but thats fine. Give her that award! If Carmelo can get a nomination and not Panaro, Why cant Lauper get a nomination without Cumming? She deserves that award and is brilliant in that show!

Im done venting for now.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#82re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:22pm

I was disappointed to see that Sweeney didn't get a nomination for lighting.

I am not that surprised since it isn't flashy, but I thought that it was done incredibly well and was very effective.

kyle33nyc Profile Photo
kyle33nyc
#83re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:38pm

Lauper should have been nomimated. But the real crimes this year were Cherry Jones for Faith Healer and Frances Strenhagen for Seascape. I think they were both overlooked because they are always celebrated for their consistently great work. But both certainly were among the five best in their respective categories.

The Chita situation is ridiculous, but I am so happy she gets another nom. Wouldn't an acceptance speech for playing the challenging role of Chita Rivera be hysterical? She could use a third Tony anyway...

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#84re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:44pm

Alan, Cyndi and Ana from Threepenny, I was suprised to see that!

Glad to see that Julia Roberts isn't there, just because you shouldn't get everything based on your name.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#85re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:48pm

Add me to the Lauren Molina crew.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#86re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:48pm

BTW,
Were there not enough people to be nominated for the Special Event Tony?
That's what I thought that Chita would be under......along with Suzanne Summers.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#87re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 3:23pm

No Lauren Molina? No Maria Friedman?? re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#88re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 3:34pm

I also think Chita getting a nomination is a little bit rediculous. It was a good performance, but I wouldn't call it acting....or at least hope it's not acting since she is playing herself. I would've liked to see Maria Friedman get a nomination.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#89re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 3:36pm

Chita did go through different characters portraying people who have effected her life. Nothing major. But she didn't technically play herself the whole time.

Anyway, I really wanted to see Donna Lynne nominated.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#90re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 3:39pm

Stephen Campbell Moore
Cyndi Lauper
Ana Gasteyer
Martha Plimpton
Cherry Jones
Diana DiMarzio
Frances Sternhagen
Elizabeth Marvel
A Touch of the Poet (Revival and Gabriel Byrne)

#91re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:29pm

Hmmm... for me, a little disappointed not to see Hugh Panaro, Michael Ball, Maria Friedman, or Lauren Molina on the list. The injustice I tell ya! LOL! :)

~Rosalynn

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#92re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:35pm

*sighs dramatically*
No Maria Friedman
No Daniel Reichard

re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Yankeefan007
#93re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:39pm

I'm not surprised that Julia R. wasn't nominated. The lengths they went through to not nominate her is quite amusing - they picked Lynn Redgrave (who was great, as a supporting character). I would have pegged Frannie Sternhagen.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#94re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:43pm

Amanda Peat.

NJgirl
#95re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:47pm

I'm bummed that Elizabeth Marvel, Frances Sternhagen, and Fred Weller werent nominated for Seascape. I'm happy Seascape was remembered for costuming and revival...but those 3 actors were sensational in the show.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#96re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:49pm

I really thought Alison Fischer would have received one for LeStat

TheaterAddict7652
#97re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 4:53pm

I'm very dissapointed that none of the women from Sweeney (except for Patti) were nominated. All three were great.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#98re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 5:55pm

Wee Thomas - Inishmore
Dancing Skeleton - In My Life

Seriously , I knew Lestat would not get nominated (although it should have) but Panaro should have got a nod

Poster Emeritus

teebz Profile Photo
teebz
#99re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:06pm

I was not the biggest fan of The Wedding Singer whatsoever.
But how did Stephen Lynch manage to get a nod while Amy didn't?

She was the best thing about that show.

And I know everyone's gonna hate me for this--but I kinda am upset Julia wasn't nominated.

I knew she wouldn't be. But I think I was one of the only few that really really enjoyed her performance despite of who she is.

Videos