pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 41

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

JasonC3
#1000Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:02pm

USA Today:

"After three stripped-down revivals – most recently off-Broadway in 2017, set in an immersive pie shop – "Sweeney Todd" swings his razor once again on the Great White Way in a sumptuous and thrilling production that has quickly become Broadway's hottest new ticket."

Updated On: 3/26/23 at 09:02 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1001Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:05pm

TIMES 

CRITIC’S PICK

Review: The Many Thrilling Flavors of a Full-Scale ‘Sweeney Todd’

Sondheim’s masterpiece, restored to its proper size and sung to the hilt by Josh Groban, makes a welcome Broadway return.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/theater/sweeney-todd-broadway-review-josh-groban.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1002Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:10pm

Robbie2 said: "TIMES

CRITIC’S PICK

Sondheim’s masterpiece, restored to its proper size and sung to the hilt by Josh Groban, makes a welcome Broadway return.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/theater/sweeney-todd-broadway-review-josh-groban.html

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ElephantLoveMedley
#1003Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:11pm

Thrilled that this is getting great reviews. Thoroughly well-deserved. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1004Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:11pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "TIMES

CRITIC’S PICK

"

"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1006Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:42pm

Ready for the cast album now. When are they heading into the studio?

Dollypop
#1007Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:54pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Ready for the cast album now. When are they heading into the studio?"

Tomorrow

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1008Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:02pm

These reviews are bringing tears of joy to my eyes! blush

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1009Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:11pm

Very happy about these reviews, especially after Green’s gutting Company review last season.

I did have a feeling all along that the reviews wouldn’t match much of the disappointed reaction on here. I think sometimes expectations are so grand for Sondheim revivals, some are often disappointed when a production doesn’t reach what they cooked up in their head. I’ve felt this before myself when it comes to Sondheim revivals.

I’m very happy for this revival, it’s obviously a real smash. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#1010Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:29pm

ljay889 said: "Very happy about these reviews, especially after Green’s gutting Company review last season.

I did have a feeling all along that the reviews wouldn’t match much of the disappointed reaction on here. I think sometimes expectations are so grand for Sondheim revivals, some are often disappointed when a production doesn’t reach what they cooked up in their head. I’ve felt this before myself when it comes to Sondheim revivals.

I’m very happy for this revival, it’s obviously a real smash.
"

The irony is that the revival of Company was fabulous.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1011Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:35pm

Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford lead a gloriously gruesome revival of ‘Sweeney Todd’

https://www.queerty.com/josh-groban-and-annaleigh-ashford-lead-a-gloriously-gruesome-revival-of-sweeney-todd-20230326

PipingHotPiccolo
#1012Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:55pm

there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that Jesse Green's opinion should matter anymore than any single poster here. im mad at myself for violating this common sense, and giggling as i read his love letter to not only this production, but to the very elements that have been criticized here. Ashford? He's handing her a Tony to share with Diamond. Jordan Fisher? Gets a totally positive call-out. The overall production? He wants it to run forever!

its just becoming more and more apparent that (i) critics and (ii) Bway nerds on message boards and (iii) the paying public are three distinct groups with increasingly disparate opinions. Which makes it all more fun for those of us without any emotional/financial investment in these productions, and all the more terrifying/impossible for that that do. 

The Tony Awards are gonna be more suspenseful than ever, I think.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1013Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:18pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "its just becoming more and more apparent that (i) critics and (ii) Bway nerds on message boards and (iii) the paying public are three distinct groups with increasingly disparate opinions."

A few comments here. 

First, and as I seem obliged to make about weekly on here, there are no rules. Really. There aren't.

Second, none of these "groups" exists in an unified way. 

Third, In order to get a sense of message boards, I direct your attention to the worst invention in the history of mankind: the talk back. The similarities are chilling.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#1014Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:37pm

The same way that Twitter and Facebook users don't represent the views of all of the country, Broadway message boards don't represent the views of all theatre-goers.  Saw this production this past week and despite how truly awful the mezzanine at the Lunt-Fontanne is, I found this to be a brilliant, exquisite production.  I didn't miss the whistle.

Updated On: 3/26/23 at 11:37 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1015Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:40pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that Jesse Green's opinion should matter anymore than any single poster here. im mad at myself for violating this common sense, and giggling as i read his love letter to not only this production, but to the very elements that have been criticized here. Ashford? He's handing her a Tony to share with Diamond. Jordan Fisher? Gets a totally positive call-out. The overall production? He wants it to run forever!

its just becoming more and more apparent that (i) critics and (ii) Bway nerds on message boards and (iii) the paying public are three distinct groups with increasingly disparate opinions. Which makes it all more fun for those of us without any emotional/financial investment in these productions, and all the more terrifying/impossible for that that do.

The Tony Awards are gonna be more suspenseful than ever, I think.
"

A helluva a lot more people read his opinion and I'm fairly certain that no one here is having their opinion used as pull quotes for advertising. 

It also seems to me, that in this case, the paying public and at least 1/2 of this board DO agree with the reviews. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PipingHotPiccolo
#1016Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:42pm

HogansHero said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "its just becoming more and more apparent that (i) critics and (ii) Bway nerds on message boards and (iii) the paying public are three distinct groups with increasingly disparate opinions."

A few comments here.

First, and as I seem obliged to make about weekly on here, there are no rules. Really. There aren't.

Second, none of these "groups" exists in an unified way.

Third, In order to get a sense of message boards, I direct your attention to the worst invention in the history of mankind: the talk back. The similarities are chilling.
"

What kinda hypertechnical nonsense is this? Oh, there isn't a unified group of identifiable Message Board Nerds or Paying Audiences? I know that you know exactly what I meant:  WOM among the Bway set is increasingly NOT all that similar to the ways critics receive shows, and audiences pay little mind to awards/reviews as they used to. If you don't agree, please explain but saying these groups dont really exist "in a unified way" is gibberish.

And rules? What rules? Is that you twisting my saying that something seemed "apparent" to me, or something else?

PipingHotPiccolo
#1017Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:47pm

dramamama611 said: "

A helluva a lot more people read his opinion and I'm fairly certain that no one here is having their opinion used as pull quotes for advertising.

It also seems to me, that in this case, the paying public and at least 1/2 of this board DO agree with the reviews.

"

And AGAIN: are we suggesting that I don't know the *difference* between Jesse Green and BwayFan52345? That I think they have the same impact? Disagree with me all you want, by all means, but I don't get why it requires such disingenuous bad faith restatements of what I said.

This production got GLOWING reviews. The WOM on these boards has been mixed, at best. The two reactions are disparate. That seems to be happening more than it used to. I can think of many examples that have followed this route. Meanwhile, the critically adored award winners increasingly struggle. Last year's Tony winner, limped along to an early close. Audiences simply aren't taking their buying cues from critics or award shows as much as they used to. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1018Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:13am

NY Times:

"often too hard to hear....Both [Ashford] and Jordan Fisher...seem to be under-amplified"

"You can’t believe the difference three trombones make in creating the sound of doom, especially compared to none" (Did you catch that, Cameron Mackintosh?)

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1019Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:29am

I found it interesting the rave reviews have the same assessments as many (including me) had on here:

Groban has a lovely voice but not enough gravitas, Annaleigh original and exciting but needs editing, trouble hearing Annaleigh, Gaten great, Jordan not, Hogget and Lien's work welcome additions.

And in the end, that landed mixed for some (and me) and raves for the critics - go figure!

JasonC3
#1020Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:37am

BJR said: "I found it interesting the rave reviews have the same assessments as many (including me) had on here:

Groban has a lovely voice but not enough gravitas, Annaleigh original and exciting but needs editing, trouble hearing Annaleigh, Gaten great, Jordan not, Hogget and Lien's work welcome additions.

And in the end, that landed mixed for some (and me) and raves for the critics - go figure!
"

Bingo. It is as if we were riding in the same car, but ended up at a different final destination.

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#1021Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:52am

BJR said: "I found it interesting the rave reviews have the same assessments as many (including me) had on here:

"

Ironically, I do not draw the same conclusions from reading the reviews that you do - particularly I don’t see any convergence of critical opinion that Annaleigh’s performance needs editing or that Jordan isn’t good. 

It’s almost as if confirmation bias is a real thing Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread Folks are reading the reviews and seeing in them what they wish to see…

JasonC3
#1022Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 10:39am

Probably a bit of confirmation bias (and admit to some on my part), as well as a bit of what production elements matter (matter most?) to individual commenters and the degree to which something matters. 

If we listed 10 elements of a production of Sweeney Todd (just using this number as an example) how important each of us ranks those elements to our overall impression of the production likely will differ.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1023Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 11:27am

Piparoo said: "... particularly I don’t see any convergence of critical opinion that Annaleigh’s performance needs editing or that Jordan isn’t good.'
It’s almost as if confirmation bias is a real thing Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread Folks are reading the reviews and seeing in them what they wish to see…
"

Not trying to fight, but I definitely saw at least 2-3 reviews mention these. So not a convergence of the 13 noted here, but not lone opinions.

And yes you're so right confirmation bias is a thing!!

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#1024Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:38pm

Considering the shellacking this production has taken on this board over the last several weeks, I was pleasantly surprised to see these reviews.  Seeing this production very soon, and my excitement has been restored, I must say.

Videos