pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 48

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1175Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/8/23 at 6:15am

The opening track sounds fantastic. Crystal clear orchestrations and vocals. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

AllThatJazz2
#1176Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/8/23 at 10:46am

Have the chance to see this in August. Is there any significant difference between sitting center mezz E (last row of front mezz) versus sitting in the inner aisle side seats for row C of the front mezz (closest to the center section)? Don’t know if there’s enough difference to really impact the view sitting two rows ahead slightly off center. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1177Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/8/23 at 11:15am

Oh my, this Opening Ballad sent chills down my spine! I need the full album now! I desperately want to hear Groban's Epiphany again, as well as Gaten's Not While I'm Around, which nearly destroyed me emotionally! This cast album is gonna be stellar!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jasmine Green
#1178Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/9/23 at 12:29am

ljay889 said: "Groban announced on IG that he has laryngitis."

Does anyone know the typical recovery time for laryngitis lol. I have tickets to see this next week and I'm wondering if I should expect to see the standby. It's not a dealbreaker for me, I've heard Nicholas Christopher is wonderful, but I'm taking my mom and she'll be disappointed to miss Groban. Just want to manage expectations.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1179Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/9/23 at 8:48am

Next week? You'll likely be fine. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PanaroFan111
#1180Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/9/23 at 10:30pm

So its confirmed Josh will be out tomorrow?

I dont have Instagram but i heard on this thread

Thats why i so many seats opened up tonight for tomorrows shows

If i want a refund do i call tele charge or do i have to go to the box office?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1181Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/10/23 at 11:04am

PanaroFan111 said: "So its confirmed Josh will be out tomorrow?

I dont have Instagram but i heard on this thread

Thats why i so many seats opened up tonight for tomorrows shows

If i want a refund do i call tele charge or do i have to go to the box office?
"

Groban will definitely be out of the matinee today, but nothing has been announced for this evening's performance yet. If he is out and you want a refund, you would contact your point of purchase (which was probably Ticketmaster, not Telecharge).

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#1182Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:51pm

Updated On: 5/10/23 at 06:51 PM

Voter
#1183Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/13/23 at 6:16pm

Tried to get standing room tickets for tonight’s performance and they were sold out. I went around 5pm and asked 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1184Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/13/23 at 6:26pm

Voter said: "Tried to get standing room tickets for tonight’s performance and they were sold out. I went around 5pm and asked"

If you check Insta, these have been getting bought up by the cast in advance to be given out.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

yyys
#1185Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/13/23 at 6:34pm

They sell them when box office opens.

Voter said: "Tried to get standing room tickets for tonight’s performance and they were sold out. I went around 5pm and asked"

Fordham2015
#1186Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/13/23 at 9:00pm

Saw today's matinee. This production blows the John Doyle revival out of the water. It restores the humor to A Little Priest and the Johanna- Act II sequence.

Josh and Annaleigh are both fantastic- they broke at one moment during Priest (the "privates" bit) and it was fantastic. 

The choreography is also very inventive, especially during Poor Thing.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1187Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 12:37pm

Jeanna de Waal will be making her Mrs. Lovett debut this afternoon!

Oh look, a bibu!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1188Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 12:41pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jeanna de Waal will be making her Mrs. Lovett debut this afternoon!"

Very interesting. Will be curious to see how much she attempts to mimic Ashford's mannerisms or not. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#1189Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 1:49pm

Fordham2015 said: "Josh and Annaleigh are both fantastic- they broke at one moment during Priest (the "privates" bit) and it was fantastic."

They didn't break. This moment is part of the direction and it is absolutely terrible. It takes the audience out of the show for no reason, and is a stupid bit of direction any time it is used (I felt the same way when I first saw it used in Hairspray). Sondheim's words are more than funny enough, the director could have even made it so that the CHARACTERS laugh (not the actors faking a break).

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#1190Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 2:16pm

jacobtsf said: "Fordham2015 said: "the director could have even made it so that the CHARACTERS laugh (not the actors faking a break)."

This is absolutely the way it played when I saw the show last month, as Todd and Lovett enjoying their own humor. It, to me, read nothing like the Hugh and Sutton break, do a soft-shoe, head-in-hands giggling from Music Man.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#1191Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 4:47pm

PianoMann said: "This is absolutely the way it played when I saw the show last month, as Todd and Lovett enjoying their own humor. It, to me, read nothing like the Hugh and Sutton break, do a soft-shoe, head-in-hands giggling from Music Man."

Hopefully it has changed since I saw it in late previews, but there was nothing in character about the break when I saw it. Thank you for reminding me about The Music Man, I was trying to think of the other show that employed this laziness and couldn’t remember. Little Priest read just as blatant as Music Man to me, disgusting. 

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Fordham2015
#1192Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 5:01pm

Jeanna is also doing the night show, per Instagram.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#1193Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 5:12pm

jacobtsf said: "PianoMann said: "This is absolutely the way it played when I saw the show last month, as Todd and Lovett enjoying their own humor. It, to me, read nothing like the Hugh and Sutton break, do a soft-shoe, head-in-hands giggling from Music Man."

Hopefully it has changed since I saw it in late previews, but there was nothing in character about the break when I saw it. Thank you for reminding me about The Music Man, I was trying to think of the other show that employed this laziness and couldn’t remember. Little Priest read just as blatant as Music Man to me, disgusting.
"

Oh that's interesting! I think it really has changed drastically since previews, then. It sounds like a lot of the show has settled in, too, since I had almost none of the quibbles or complaints with it that many had during previews. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1194Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 5:31pm

Also, Raymond J. Lee is on for Beadle Bamford at both performances today, as Rapson is out with COVID. 

Oh look, a bibu!

hearthemsing22
#1195Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 5:36pm

ANY WORD ON HOW JEANNA DID AS LOVETT

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#1196Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/17/23 at 6:15pm

My friend is going to tonight (tickets he's actually had for months now) and she's on again. Jealous is an understatement.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Hairspray0901
#1198Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/21/23 at 3:26pm

I’m finally seeing this on Wednesday! Has anything been announced yet regarding Gaten or Ruthie’s departure/temporary leave for Stranger Things / Light in the Piazza? 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#1199Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 5/21/23 at 3:29pm

Stranger Things isn't crossing the picket line, so that's been pushed back a bit, meaning Gaten will probably be there a little longer.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Videos