pixeltracker

Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...- Page 5

Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#100Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 9:56am

I'll be sure to suggest the addition of a man purse to him, from his concerned fanbase.

Joey, that bag is gonna get you that part.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#101Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 10:00am

Bag or not, I think this is his year!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#102Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 10:11am

Aww...I loved Chitty. Maxwell and Kudisch owned that show. And the flying car turned me into a little kid again. I was utterly enchanted with it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wolfwolf
#103Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 10:14am

Raul was fine but I think the Tony should have gone to Jonathan Groff however Contact had three great performances that should have won their and did tonys. The boys n Billy can sing and dance so well they deserved it. But I wonder why didn't Michael Stuhlbarg win 2005 featured actor? Anyway with is with Raul loosing to Jm Norton he was stunning in the homecoming.

wolfwolf
#104Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 10:21am

Also what is with the Tonys obsession with shows that will sell over innovation.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#105Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 10:51am

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 10/30/18 at 10:51 AM

Mister Matt
#106Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 2:46pm

Also what is with the Tonys obsession with shows that will sell over innovation.

Who left this empty can here? There are worms all over the place.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#107Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 5/26/10 at 3:15pm

I know, maybe thats why Wicked won best musical that year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

binau Profile Photo
binau
#108Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 5:56pm

I’m on a Company binge at the moment and re-watching “Being Alive” with Raul I STILL can’t believe he lost the Tony. Maybe he could have toned down the “mock me with praise” line but the whole journey from the slow tempo, shakey opening of the piano key cover to him standing at the end climax Being Alive is amazingggggg. Neil Patrick Harris, Aaron Tveit and yes even Rosalie Craig don’t come close to this stunning performance.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#109Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 6:08pm

Christ almighty, now I'm depressed all over again.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

aj88
#110Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 8:10pm

I still try to justify how this even happened and no matter what, I find myself thinking that this was an insane choice. I also agree that maybe Raul's "mock me with praise" may have been a bit much, but in the end, he was a marvelous Bobby.

I did know someone who didn't care for him in it and was thrilled when DHP won. His main reasoning was that he felt Esparza was too smarmy and guttural for his personal preferences.....I mean I guess that's an opinion lol

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#111Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 8:14pm

This and Tonya Pinkins losing are the two that just made me realize these awards mean absolutely nothing.

JBC3
#112Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 9:34pm

I loved the icy style of Doyle’s Company and Esparza’s performance.

And I agree with you 100% Jordan, but at least you will always have Jake.

A Director
#113Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/26/18 at 11:51pm

qolbinau said: "I’m on a Company binge at the moment and re-watching “Being Alive” with Raul I STILL can’t believe he lost the Tony. 

For the sun will rise
And the moon will set
And learn how to settle
For what you get.
It will all go on if we're here or not
So who cares? So what?
So who cares? So what?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#114Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/27/18 at 12:23am

Jordan Catalano said: "This and Tonya Pinkins losing are the two that just made me realize these awards mean absolutely nothing. "

I was pretty shocked but was kind of ok with it because Hyde Pierce turned in a wonderful performance in CURTAINS. Still, it felt like Raul's year. Hyde Pierce even thought so.

As for Pinkins, I will never get over that! I saw WICKED 3 days after CAROLINE OR CHANGE. As we got up from our seats my boyfriend, at the time, turned to me and said "Idina Menzel will win the Tony". I disagreed and told him I saw the Tony winning performance a few days before. I was jaw dropped when Idina won. Still think it was due to a split of some kind between Cheno and Pinkins causing Menzel to win. Loved Menzel but Pinkins was incredible. JMO

Just give the world Love.

rjm516
#115Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/27/18 at 6:29pm

Oh my goodness am I the only one who absolutely LOVED his 'mock me with praise'?? I REALLY feel that line so deeply so his visceral scream of it was one of my favorite things he did. Shatters me.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#116Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/27/18 at 7:16pm

JBC3 said: "I loved the icy style of Doyle’s Company and Esparza’s performance.

And I agree with you 100% Jordan, but at least you will always have Jake.
"

I agree. I also think Jake would have won the Tony last year had they made Sunday in the Park eligible for Tony Awards.

Nowadays the announcement of Tony nominations is more exciting to me than finding out the Tony winner a 5 weeks later.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#117Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/27/18 at 10:27pm

rjm516 said: "Oh my goodness am I the only one who absolutely LOVED his 'mock me with praise'?? I REALLY feel that line so deeply so his visceral scream of it was one of my favorite things he did. Shatters me."

You are not the only one. I loved it also!

Just give the world Love.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#118Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/28/18 at 1:26am

Caroline, or Change not winning everything is a shame. Avenue Q is great, so can’t deny that, but Pinkins should have at least won best actress.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#119Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/28/18 at 4:31am

I don't mind the "mock me with praise" line on the cast recording, and indeed it is even weird for me now to hear when someone just sings the line straight without any emphasis here (i.e., everyone else who has played the role ever). But on the video recording he was clearly 'feeling it' and giving it his all. Shocked me a little.....it's as if it is Raul Esparza himself telling the Tony voters to go **** themselves...no idea if it was recorded before or after he lost :P.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#120Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/28/18 at 5:34am

I'm clearly in the minority here. I did not like Raul Esparza's "Bobby" and his rendition of "Being Alive" and the screechy diva-is histrionic delivery of "mock me with praise" smacked of self indulgence. 

Updated On: 10/28/18 at 05:34 AM

Mister Matt
#121Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/28/18 at 5:25pm

I totally agreed with Menzel and Hyde Pierce winning.

AEA AGMA SM
#122Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/28/18 at 10:31pm

CarlosAlberto said: "I'm clearly in the minority here. I did not like Raul Esparza's "Bobby"and his rendition of "Being Alive" and thescreechy diva-is histrionic delivery of "mock me with praise" smacked of self indulgence."

You're not entirely alone. I found that whole production of Company to be overly cold and detached. The Bobby that was on that stage was not the Bobby that is sung about in "Side by Side" (there's no way Esparza's Bobby was "taking the kids to the zoo"Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce....

I'll admit that I didn't see the other three nominees, but between just those two my vote would have been for David Hyde Pierce.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#123Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/29/18 at 10:33am

But have Tony Awards ever really meant something? 

For example, The Music Man is one of my favourite shows. I love it so much. However, do I think West Side Story should have won more Tonys in 1958.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

jimmycurry01
#124Rembember When Raul Esparza Lost the Tony to David Hyde Pierce...
Posted: 10/29/18 at 10:58am

The following Tuesday, his first performance after the Tony Awards, he gave a performance of a lifetime- like he thought he had something to prove. He certainly proved to everyone in that theatre that night that he is not only a great performer, but also an outstanding actor. The energy was palpable, and the applause after Being Alive went on for several minutes with two standing ovations, followed by a third during curtain call. I did not see Curtains, but David Hyde Pierce must have delivered a truly spectacular performance in order to convince voters that he was the better choice.

Videos