pixeltracker

Taking pictures of the set before the show starts- Page 5

Taking pictures of the set before the show starts

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#100Taking pictures of the set before the show starts
Posted: 3/14/14 at 9:26pm

PJ - Excellent post. IMO - don't see the big attraction of taking picture of the set before a show. My wife and I took our daughters to the "Wicked" tour and even though pictures were allowed to be taken I don't remember more than 1 or 2 people actually taking one.

michaelhale
#101Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:37pm

Wow this thread is kind of wild to read, years later! I was looking for an answer regarding flash photography in a theater and this thread popped up and now I have become curious just about if this has truly changed so much in just three years!

I am new to theater, very very new to Broadway theater. My first show, the Great Comet, I was terrified to even look at my phone pre-show much less take a picture of the set. But I also wanted to show my coworkers how the show was the next day, because it was such an interesting set up! I saw people around me take pictures, no problem, so I did as well and then afterwards I turned off my phone. Since then I have seen six more Broadway productions, and I usually take a picture or two of the set to share my view with friends and be able to show people sort of "this is what I did this week" (I am pretty much the only person I know who goes to shows so it's all so novel to them they like seeing this stuff lol).

I have never had any problem and after TGC no anxiety regarding photographs because no usher has given me a second look and there's always people taking pictures around me and after the show lots of pictures on Twitter! So I am wondering: in 2014 was it really common to have Ushers ask you not to take pictures, when did this attitude stop, has this attitude not stopped and the six shows I've seen just happen to be some of the few that don't care, or were most of the people in this thread being old fashioned regarding the practice?

(My initial question was if I'd get in trouble taking an Instax photo of a set from the first row, but after reading this thread I have decided to just not do that lol I'll just photograph the theater from outside for a souvineer.)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#102Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 12:25am

I've taken a pic of the curtain for every show that I've seen since I've had a digital phone on me. I never use flash though and I have never been told to put my phone away. I print each of the pictures and I keep them in a little box. I figure in a decade or two, it'll be nice to have those pics of some of these shows.

Also, the OP was a f*cking nark.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#103Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 5:00am

Yes it was common for ushers to keep people from taking photos of the show curtain or the set - both of which are the intellectual property of the production and for which they are within their rights to prohibit. This was 10+ years ago. Also, back then, people were taking fewer pictures and selfies were not a thing. (or at least by that name)

More and more people started taking pre-show pictures. And producers started urging people to post to social media AFTER they left the theater. Not surprisingly, the distinction was lost on many, and I think it was a couple of years ago that two of the big three owners announced they would start allowing pre-show pictures of the show curtain or set, and the rest followed quickly.

So, yes it was a thing. And there was an actual reason for it. But the official policy has changed.
(All to my understanding and recollection)

Updated On: 11/13/17 at 05:00 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#104Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 5:55am

GavestonPS said: "If you want photos of the set, buy the damn souvenir program. Your cell-phone pics aren't going to be that great anyway."

If this was posted today we would all be laughing.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

edmundog2
#105Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 8:43am

I'm a teacher, and before every show I see, I take a shot of my program with the stage in the background to post to my school Twitter. Not one usher has stopped me thus far.

Patty3
#106Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 12:57pm

I read something a few years ago that producers understand the power of Social Media so now photos of the set, curtain, program, theater except during the show are allowed by most. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#107Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:14pm

Yes, at this point, I'd say it's not considered a big deal any longer.  The few that don't want you to (Hello, Dolly!) will certainly make it known to you. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#108Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:18pm

You got that right!  The Hello, Dolly staff was all over it when I saw the show.  It's funny to me since all you'd get is mostly a red curtain and a fake proscenium.  On the other hand, I can see nipping it in the bud before the show starts to minimize the during show picture taking.

LxGstv
#109Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:19pm

Funny enough I had no problems taking pictures of the Dolly curtain... the one show where an usher saw me taking a pic and ran towards me telling me to delete was The Glass Menagerie at the Belasco earlier this year, which is funny because it’s a Shubert theater and they allow pictures...

Not related to picture taking, but also at the Belasco I saw an usher arguing with a woman on the first row while the show was going on... it was insane.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#110Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:22pm

It's not up to the house management, but each productions themselves.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#111Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:30pm

This thread reminds me of the years I ushered at the IU Auditorium in Bloomington, Indiana from 1980 to 1985.

Though photography was not a problem, anytime a rock concert was booked like Stray Cats or John Cougar, we ushers were forever asking a handful of guests to put out their cigarettes.

Call_me_jorge
#112Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:33pm

dramamama611 said: "It's not up to the house management, but each productions themselves."

I don’t think so. http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-theatre-owners-alter-photography-rules

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

michaelhale
#113Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:36pm

LxGstv said: "Funny enough I had no problems taking pictures of the Dolly curtain... the one show where an usher saw me taking a pic and ran towards me telling me to delete was The Glass Menagerie at the Belasco earlier this year, which is funny because it’s a Shubert theater and they allow pictures...

Not related to picture taking, but also at the Belasco I saw an usher arguing with a woman on the first row while the show was going on... it was insane.
"

Same regarding the Hello, Dolly! curtain, I was in standing room with two ushers nearby and no one said anything when I snapped a quick picture of my view and the standing room wall with my playbill, but I guess like with the original conversation in this thread it depends on the usher and if you get caught! So not really "up to" house management or the ushers but if someone's turning a blind eye then someone's turning a blind eye lol

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#114Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 1:45pm

When I was at Hello Dolly! and tried to take a picture of the show curtain the ushers actually tried to grab my phone away. They were equally vigilant AFTER curtain calls about taking a photo of the final curtain. They were the same way with everyone around us. It's a Shubert Theater and at other Shubert Theaters there is nowhere that kind of vigilance so I assume it's a Scott Rudin thing.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#115Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:15pm

When I was at Hamilton, I bet the people taking pictures of the stage before the show started outnumbered those who didn't. No one seemed to care, but boy did they care at The King and I, where they are almost amusingly militant about phones. "Phones turned off!! The overture is part of the show!!" boomed the usher in my section just as the lights went down. God bless her.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#116Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:20pm

my children often take a picture.  I never knew what the theatre rules were.  

Call_me_jorge
#117Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:23pm

Perhaps it was just the day I went, but I had a total opposite at Dolly. I even saw ushers taking pictures for patrons while they would be standing in front of the stage. I myself took a handful of pictures especially with the Hello, Dolly! curtain at the end of the show. This was a Donna performance so maybe that was the reason for such a different reaction?
When I went to Dear Evan Hansen I took a video of the curtain call and the usher was right next to me and did nothing.
Maybe I was just lucky with the ushers I got, but I experienced a very open policy.

Updated On: 11/13/17 at 02:23 PM

michaelhale
#118Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:30pm

carolinaguy said: "When I was at Hamilton, I bet the people taking pictures of the stage before the show started outnumbered those who didn't. No one seemed to care, but boy did they care at The King and I, where they are almost amusingly militant about phones. "Phones turned off!! The overture is part of the show!!" boomed the usher in my section just as the lights went down. God bless her."

After the lights goes down the show is begun, so that's different, I think! If people were trying to take pictures during the Hello, Dolly! overture then I understand how others are reporting a different experiences(the second the overture started I noticed everyone put their phones away so I did as well. It was nice- why don't more modern shows have overtures like that?). 

michaelhale
#119Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:33pm

Call_me_jorge said: "dramamama611 said: "It's not up to the house management, but each productions themselves."

I don’t think so.http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-theatre-owners-alter-photography-rules
"

It's probably both- either the house or the production can make a policy and a "no" overrides a "yes". Even the article says "most" and not all. That would explain mixed reactions if some staff may be only aware of the house rules and not production rules.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#120Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:50pm

When I was at Dolly, somebody was in the sixth row filmed the title number in its entirety. Of course, this was in previews, so maybe the ushers were in awe to even notice. Can't blame them! 

I took a pic of my Playbill with the set in the background for The Glass Menagerie and the usher didn't say anything. 

I do have a question about pictures. During intermission for Cats, do you get to take photos with Old Deuteronomy during intermission? I read somewhere that you can, but he just sat there. It was an understudy going on for the role, so that may be why. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#121Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 2:55pm

TheSassySam said: "During intermission for Cats, do you get to take photos with Old Deuteronomy during intermission? I read somewhere that you can, but he just sat there. It was an understudy going on for the role, so that may be why."

When I saw it, you were allowed to take pictures with him, but it wasn't like taking pictures with Mickey Mouse at Disneyland, i.e., he didn't interact with audience members; he was more like a living prop.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Broadway61004
#122Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 7:07pm

Not to get off topic here, but has anyone heard any designers' takes on the new lax rules on pre-show photography? As mentioned earlier in this thread, even the show curtain is technically copyrighted material of theirs. I'm guessing most are fine with it, but I'd be surprised if at least a few haven't been upset about their material being used without permission.

michaelhale
#123Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 8:01pm

Broadway61004 said: "Not to get off topic here, but has anyone heard any designers' takes on the new lax rules on pre-show photography? As mentioned earlier in this thread, even the show curtain is technically copyrighted material of theirs. I'm guessing most are fine with it, but I'd be surprised if at least a few haven't been upset about their material being used without permission."

I am actually more confused about where the copyright issue is: it's a photograph. Like... What does that do? Not saying there can't be an issue I just can't figure out what it is.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#124Taking pictures of the set before the show startsays
Posted: 11/13/17 at 8:10pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Perhaps it was just the day I went, but I had a total opposite at Dolly. I even saw ushers taking pictures for patrons while they would be standing in front of the stage. I myself took a handful of pictures especially with the Hello, Dolly! curtain at the end of the show. This was a Donna performance so maybe that was the reason for such a different reaction?
When I went to Dear Evan Hansen I took a video of the curtain call and the usher was right next to me and did nothing.
Maybe I was just lucky with the ushers I got, but I experienced a very open policy.
"

Idk, I got an even more vehement reaction when I tried to take a picture of the curtain at the Donna performance I went to. But I once sat up in the mezzanine and there wasn't the same vigilance. Think the orchestra ushers are way more vigilant than in the mezzanine. But anyway, I think Hello Dolly! is a great show but the ushers at the theater are either being directed to be very rude or something. Because every time I've been there the ushers have been very rude. Not about the obvious stuff (no cell phones during performance) but just rude period.

Videos