pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 5

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

InnerMonologue Profile Photo
InnerMonologue
#100ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 9:50am

The cast for the reading is pretty much a blend of actors from "The Color Purple" and "Spring Awakening". Carrie Compere is Asaka. (Cynthia, however, is not currently involved).

nasty_khakis
#101ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 9:51am

Wow, I like this idea on paper, but there's going to be a "found" piano, guitar, and violin, right?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#102ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 10:02am

Never mind. I don't want a revival if it's going to be played on literal garbage.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#103ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 11:28am

According to Flaherty, “We started toying with the idea of, ‘What if this was not a traditional pit orchestra? What if it was whatever you had on hand to make theatre?’ We are going for a more acoustic feel and stretching the boundary to ask, ‘What is an instrument. How can you make music?’”

Starobin has been working to build instruments out of “garbage” and found objects, including trash bins, flexible piping, and more.

“We are approaching this sonically in a new way, by making the human body an instrument in a way that it hasn’t been heard in the past. We are taking a lot of the orchestrations and making them vocal orchestrations.”

While musicians are still integral to the production, Milazzo has reconceived the orchestrations as multi-layered vocal arrangements that ebb and flow as part of the musical storytelling.

Ugh.  I adore this show and this news deflates any excitement I had in a revival.  I'll just have to be content with the memory of the original touring production, which was simply gorgeous.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MinnieFay
#104ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 11:33am

It's so fitting to have the musicians in a Davenport production play instruments made of garbage.  Everything Ken touches turns to **** anyway!

vampire musical
#105ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 1:11pm

Any chance this thing tries to take Circle for the spring?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#106ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 1:52pm

I'm curious about the new sound- the low-rez and MIDI synths of the OBC gives me fond memories of the background sound on my Sega Genesis from childhood.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#107ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/15/16 at 2:37pm

This wont go to Broadway without a regional tryout somewhere first.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#108ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 3:31am

Color me skeptical but intrigued. I'd rather have this than a tacky solo synth.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#109ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 4:40am

I hope this whole "garbage" idea is just hyperbole. I don't want any revival of this gorgeous show to become Brooklyn Part 2: the Remix.

neonlightsxo
#110ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 9:25am

vampire musical said: "Any chance this thing tries to take Circle for the spring?"

Repeating what I just said in the other thread: With what money?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#111ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 10:55am

Speaking of solo synth but not tacky, I saw a production with a two piece orchestra; Lena Gabrielle (a composer I've worked with multiple times) playing a Fantom G8 sampler keyboard, and Jim Donovan (percussionist for roots/worldrock group Rusted Root). It actually sounded pretty good, though the Fantom's multi-layering and real instrument sampling makes it about two decades advanced over the synth score on the OBC.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#112ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 11:20am

vampire musical said: "Any chance this thing tries to take Circle for the spring?"

That would have to depend on how long the producers of In Transit are going to be able to keep it running. I personally hope Once on This Island waits until next season as this season is already too crowded.

Cfried
#113ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 5:35pm

This really disappoints me...

It seems like Michael Arden is the master of concept revivals. The only practical theatre for this would be The Circle in the Square, so either it comes in this Spring or next season (if Davenport has the money). 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#114ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:09pm

I wouldn't say he's a master. I'd say he's incapable of anything else. Spring Awakening was good (maybe a bit much, but I was very caught up in the emotional impact) but My Fair Lady and Merrily seem to have buckled under the weight of an unnecessary vanity concept.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#115ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:29pm

Cfried said: "It seems like Michael Arden is the master of concept revivals."

Um... sorry, but no.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#116ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:40pm

Maybe Arden should do more productions with Deaf West.

Jiaroony
#117ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:44pm

Just want too see Dreamgirls ,  Cursed Child !!1 I have no interest 

vampire musical
#118ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/17/16 at 12:31pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "vampire musical said: "Any chance this thing tries to take Circle for the spring?"

That would have to depend on how long the producers of In Transit are going to be able to keep it running. I personally hope Once on This Island waits until next season as this season is already too crowded.

"

Shocked they haven't announced yet.  Tomorrow is two weeks notice for a Jan 1 closing... 

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#119ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 12/17/16 at 12:41pm

John Doyle is a master of concept revivals, and unlike Michael Arden, he realizes that you don't always have to slap on a, "Look at me, I'm directing!", concept. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
neonlightsxo
#121ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 3/27/17 at 1:05pm

No thanks, I'm good.

neonlightsxo
#123ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 3/27/17 at 1:08pm

We don't read Davenport propaganda around here.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#124ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 3/27/17 at 1:17pm

I would have a problem with an inexperienced orchestrator creating a band of garbage, but I trust Starobin to create something pretty magical.  I think what they mean is that the percussion section has been made up of garbage in order to create more of an earthy sound.  I suspect that we will have a piano and brass and what not, but with added color from an unorthodox percussion section.  I would love to see a re-vamped Once on this Island, but they have to get it to Broadway first.

Videos